Best Pedals and Shoes For Beginner

redneck47441

Sep 9, 2009
I just bought a Fuji Roubaix Pro with only 100 miles on it for $800! Anyways it doesn't come with pedals so I'm going to go clipless and I need to no what kind of pedals and shoes do I need best bang for the buck for under $200 any suggestions! I completly dumb when it comes to this on my Haro mt. bike I use platform wellgo MG1's! Btw Im not racing just some touring!

redneck47441 said:
I just bought a Fuji Roubaix Pro with only 100 miles on it for $800! Anyways it doesn't come with pedals so I'm going to go clipless and I need to no what kind of pedals and shoes do I need best bang for the buck for under $200 any suggestions! I completly dumb when it comes to this on my Haro mt. bike I use platform wellgo MG1's! Btw Im not racing just some touring!

If you are touring then you want to stop and walk around. That meas 'MTB' type shoes with rubber pontoons on each side of the cleat that allows you to walk w/o slipping and w/o killing the cleat. Any well fitting shoe is the key. 'Well fitting' like any shoe. Many makers of good shoes including private label stuff from performance, for example.

The pedal will have to be a 'MTB' type pedal with a small cleat that fits into the recess of the shoe. There are some pedals that have a flat platform on one side and clipless pedal on the other. Wellgo and shimano both make a model.

Good shoes and pedals can be had for less than $200. $125-$150 and you'll get some nice ones. Go to a competent bike shop and talk to them, it's what they do.

I went with the integra pedals and now looking at shoes! Went to a couple bike shops today to look at shoes and the problem is here in Indiana our bike shops don't keep many pairs of shoes in stock! I were a Brooks running shoe when I run there a 10.5 or 44.5 so I'm guessing that's close to the size I need in road shoes! I didn't go with mt. bike shoes and pedals because of the every once in awhile a 100 mile ride or so!

redneck47441 said:
I were [wear?] a Brooks running shoe when I run there a 10.5 or 44.5 so I'm guessing that's close to the size I need in road shoes! I didn't go with mt. bike shoes and pedals because of the every once in awhile a 100 mile ride or so!
Good work bypassing the MTB pedal route. Walking around in cycling shoes is overrated anyway.

The best shoe is one that fits. Try a lot of them on. The fit should be snug but not painful, and pay attention to the width--too narrow and your metatarsals will start pinching nerves, too wide and your foot will slide around.

Shimano105 SPD-SL pedals from ebay or probikekit.com for < 100.
Seti carbon road shoes from Pricepoint.com for around 90-100. Thats what I have.

You are set for < 200. The only catch is guestimating the shoe fit when buying on-line.

oldbobcat said:
Good work bypassing the MTB pedal route. Walking around in cycling shoes is overrated anyway.

The best shoe is one that fits. Try a lot of them on. The fit should be snug but not painful, and pay attention to the width--too narrow and your metatarsals will start pinching nerves, too wide and your foot will slide around.

The problem I have with trying several pairs on is finding a store that has several pairs in stock lol! I went with integra pedals and lake carbon shoes the cx 235! Thank you guys for all your help now what about cleats? Is there on better than the other?

redneck47441 said:
The problem I have with trying several pairs on is finding a store that has several pairs in stock lol! I went with integra pedals and lake carbon shoes the cx 235! Thank you guys for all your help now what about cleats? Is there on better than the other?

unfortunately, you're not going to know that until you go through them.

i have ridden my spd on my roadie for years until i got my looks and speedplays and i prefer my looks overall. weight is more but platform is what counts for me and the look keo's have plenty of them.