best pedals?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by mornish, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. mornish

    mornish Guest

    Tags:

  2. UniTyler

    UniTyler Guest

  3. mornish wrote:
    > hey, I just got a 20in. KH trials and I was wondering what are good
    > pedals because I don't like the snafu ones. They try to eat my leg.:p

    Most trials riders wear leg armour, something that covers the front
    part of the lower leg and the knee. SixSixOne make the 4x4 which offers
    good protection. A cheaper solution is to get soccer shin guards.

    Even a plastic pedal on a unicycle can really rip up your shin, given
    enough power behind it.

    Edit: Tyler beat me to it, oh well. It's still good advice. :)

    --
    UNIquelyCanadian

    ~Cameron
    New Photos Added: _www.camerondonaldson.com__

    "The state death takes you is the state eternity will keep you." -
    Chad Searles
    UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

  4. Lucas1wheel

    Lucas1wheel Guest

    all that is true but if you're looking for decent pedals I have had my
    DMR V12's for about 2years now and they are very strong and Don't do
    too much damage to my shins, a less expensive option are V8's

    --
    Lucas1wheel
    Lucas1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11476

  5. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

    Lucas1wheel wrote:
    > all that is true but if you're looking for decent pedals I have had my
    > DMR V12's for about 2years now and they are very strong and Don't do
    > too much damage to my shins, a less expensive option are V8's

    I think the V8/V12 tend to eat your shins just as much as Snafus (trust
    me I´ve tried both) the only real difference is that the V12s have more
    pins that rips up youre skin more efficiently.

    The only good and lasting solution to the problem is to get some leg
    pads. Or plastic pedals if you don´t mind replacing them quite often.

    --
    fexnix

    '*My fresh gallery*'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
    *I Got Infinite Skillz*
    Street moves are for riders who can't clean a trials line. Who needs
    to throw a crankflip when they can land a drop on a rail or rolling hop
    onto a post?
    fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

  6. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    i belive it fairly good all round...but the main focus is on the front.

    --
    trials_uni

    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

    monkeyman wrote:
    > Those animals aren't innocent, they're keeping my meat from me

  7. unijesse

    unijesse Guest

    the new 4x4s only have a thin cloth around tghe back to help w/ the
    velcro i think but as long as it doesnt hit you too hard in the calf
    youll be fine probably just a dead leg, especially if the pedal hits
    the velcro it deffinitly wont draw blood

    --
    unijesse

    I Brake for Unicyclist's
    http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com
    unijesse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10868

  8. Loosemoose

    Loosemoose Guest

    Definitely get some leg armour, its pretty cheap for 661 stuff in the
    US, and tried and tested by the vast majority of extreme (and some
    non-extreme) riders.

    Pedals wise, for trials/street use, the Odyssey Jimmy C's (I think
    danscomp have them) are a very, very competent pedal due to high grip,
    tough & beefy body design, completely removable pins (for a grindside
    pedal) and a nice knurled surface.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    "Come on you target for far away laughter,
    come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
    Floyd
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

  9. max_pfeifer

    max_pfeifer Guest

    everybody should worship jim c's. they are far better for street and
    trials unicycling than anything else on the market.

    --
    max_pfeifer

    what do you give to the man who has everything? ...Nothing!
    max_pfeifer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7644

  10. mornish

    mornish Guest

  11. markf

    markf Guest

    i actually don't like the jimmy c's for grip. i think there's several
    pedals that grip better than them, granted if you're grinding, etc then
    maybe they're for you, but i don't think the pins are long enough/in
    the right places. snafu's are pretty good imo.

    --
    markf

    stuck in iowa and gainfully employed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  12. I would suggest to just keep the Snafu's, their not bad or anything, I
    liked 'em just fine. Get some leg armor and don't worry about it...

    --
    forrestunifreak

    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)
    For 15% off your first order of Hammer Nutrition Products go to
    http://www.e-caps.com/affiliates/82904

  13. pete66

    pete66 Guest

    Snafus have good size pins for those rare occasions when you want to
    ride in a blizzard on the steepest, roughest terrain with snowboots on.

    Jim Cs come with a full set of spare pins that are just as big as the
    snafus. Jim Cs also offer a larger pedal platform than SNAFUs which is
    always good for unispins etc.

    On Jim Cs, the amount of grip you get is completely customisable
    because out of the eight pin holes on each side of each pedal, you can
    leave in as many pins as you like. I personally go with 6 small pins on
    each side but thats just coz I've lost a few and want to distribute the
    grip evenly.

    --
    pete66
    pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812