Best phone bike mount?

iconoclasthero

Aug 8, 2011
I'm looking for a universal mount for a phone in a case. In my particular situation, it is a Nexus 5, but if Google can resolve the problems with the Pixel XL, I may switch to that. I use it for a bike computer, GPS, and to listen to podcasts (it is legal in my state to have one earphone in and to cycle while deaf). I've seen a couple of things but I am looking for something relatively in expensive and that will not allow the phone to fall out.

I looked at recent posts but did not see anything and since I am sure this market is constantly evolving, I thought it wise to post a new thread, however if there is an old thread regarding this or online reviews, e.g. CNET or Lifehacker reviews for tech products, that would be helpful as well.

iconoclasthero

Aug 8, 2011
I was more looking for a selection of people who have actually used and either have preferential or have critical reviews of such mounts. LMGTFY is not what what I am after.

Froze

Jul 13, 2004
NE Indiana
I have heard issues with universal ones not fitting quite right and then while riding hit a harsh bump in the road and watch the phone go flying. Not sure about the LG Nexus 5 having that issue or not but there is enough concern out there with other phones I would by only the holder that is an LG made holder...OR, if you have, and should have, a water proof case for it then contact the manufacture of the case for a holder. I have a Lifeproof waterproof case for my I phone, and the Lifeproof company has their own bicycle mount just for that case for $40 which holds it very securely.

iconoclasthero

Aug 8, 2011
I was talking to someone at an online bike place about something else and this came up. He had suggested the handle mount from Nite-eyes as a universal mount. I am torn between the idea of getting one specifically for my phone and something more universal. I really do not cycle in the rain and could protect my phone well enough if I got caught in something unexpected...and I am really not a fan of big cases. Isn't the Lifeproof similar to the Otterbox in that it is rather large?

I have a dry bag designed for phones w/an integrated headphone adapter... something like this picture if I really needed to protect my phone from water. I think I have really only used it when kayaking/tubing though.
7Y79L3VT.jpg

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
Look at a Pelican cases. Not as bomb proof a Lifeproof, but also not as huge as a suitcase. Pelican makes bike mounts also, but I have never used the mounts. The Pelican phone cases (I use a 'Protector' model) offer good enough level of protection for my uses.

Pelican bike mount for phones...no clue what phones their cases are made for. You'll have to research that.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelican-...99957&wl11=online&wl12=30823764&wl13=&veh=sem