Best phone bike mount?

iconoclasthero

Aug 8, 2011
I'm looking for a universal mount for a phone in a case. In my particular situation, it is a Nexus 5, but if Google can resolve the problems with the Pixel XL, I may switch to that. I use it for a bike computer, GPS, and to listen to podcasts (it is legal in my state to have one earphone in and to cycle while deaf). I've seen a couple of things but I am looking for something relatively in expensive and that will not allow the phone to fall out.

I looked at recent posts but did not see anything and since I am sure this market is constantly evolving, I thought it wise to post a new thread, however if there is an old thread regarding this or online reviews, e.g. CNET or Lifehacker reviews for tech products, that would be helpful as well.

I was more looking for a selection of people who have actually used and either have preferential or have critical reviews of such mounts. LMGTFY is not what what I am after.

I have heard issues with universal ones not fitting quite right and then while riding hit a harsh bump in the road and watch the phone go flying. Not sure about the LG Nexus 5 having that issue or not but there is enough concern out there with other phones I would by only the holder that is an LG made holder...OR, if you have, and should have, a water proof case for it then contact the manufacture of the case for a holder. I have a Lifeproof waterproof case for my I phone, and the Lifeproof company has their own bicycle mount just for that case for $40 which holds it very securely.

I was talking to someone at an online bike place about something else and this came up. He had suggested the handle mount from Nite-eyes as a universal mount. I am torn between the idea of getting one specifically for my phone and something more universal. I really do not cycle in the rain and could protect my phone well enough if I got caught in something unexpected...and I am really not a fan of big cases. Isn't the Lifeproof similar to the Otterbox in that it is rather large?

I have a dry bag designed for phones w/an integrated headphone adapter... something like this picture if I really needed to protect my phone from water. I think I have really only used it when kayaking/tubing though.
7Y79L3VT.jpg

Look at a Pelican cases. Not as bomb proof a Lifeproof, but also not as huge as a suitcase. Pelican makes bike mounts also, but I have never used the mounts. The Pelican phone cases (I use a 'Protector' model) offer good enough level of protection for my uses.

Pelican bike mount for phones...no clue what phones their cases are made for. You'll have to research that.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelican-...99957&wl11=online&wl12=30823764&wl13=&veh=sem