Best Photo of 2006!

crit PRO wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/cross.php?id=photos/2006/jan06/petange/4_IMG_8201

Looks like he's just kissing the pavement to celebrate a victory! ;)
A victory. In Belgium. On a Bike. Finished ahead of everyone else. 1st
place. The winner. The guy who crashed over the finish line, and then
climbed the podium to the top step. Podium. Top Step. Finish. 1st.
i.e. - Mr. Page is looking foolish with a trophy in hand and stains of
mud on his jersey, not looking foolish with an obsession driven mouse
in hand and nothing but jizz stains on his jammies to show for it.

crit PRO wrote:
> In Luxemburg........

> That's like a starlet leaving Hollywood and going to Omaha, to get into
> acting in an easier setting.
>
> crit PRO

Not exactly, but... that's still pretty funny. Showing off for the
crowd, and then crashing!

RicodJour wrote:
> If you mean the small country in Europe with the long cycling history,
> it's Luxembourg. Surprising that someone who had supposedly been there
> wouldn't know that.

Yeah, in French, one of the languages spoken there. In German, English and
Dutch it's Luxemburg.

--
E. Dronkert

In article <[email protected]>,
Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

> RicodJour wrote:
> > If you mean the small country in Europe with the long cycling history,
> > it's Luxembourg. Surprising that someone who had supposedly been there
> > wouldn't know that.

> Yeah, in French, one of the languages spoken there. In German, English and
> Dutch it's Luxemburg.

The USA Central Intelligence Agency prefers Luxembourg.

<http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/lu.html#Govt>

--
Michael Press

Michael Press wrote:
>> In German, English and Dutch it's Luxemburg.

> The USA Central Intelligence Agency prefers Luxembourg.
> <http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/lu.html#Govt>

Well apparently so does Collins Concise (British). Huh. I got it from
Wolters' Dutch-English. Webster's Comprehensive (American) also prefers
Luxemburg ("Also: Luxembourg"). That's all the English dictionaries I have
in my library.

--
E. Dronkert

Michael Press wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Yeah, in French, one of the languages spoken there. In German, English and
> > Dutch it's Luxemburg.

> The USA Central Intelligence Agency prefers Luxembourg.
>
> <http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/lu.html#Govt>

So that's another argument for "Luxemburg" then.

On the other hand, the Pentagon's Office of Special Plans
spells it "Liechtenstein."

> Michael Press wrote:
> > Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Yeah, in French, one of the languages spoken there. In German, English and
> > > Dutch it's Luxemburg.

> > The USA Central Intelligence Agency prefers Luxembourg.
> >
> > <http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/lu.html#Govt>

> So that's another argument for "Luxemburg" then.
>
> On the other hand, the Pentagon's Office of Special Plans
> spells it "Liechtenstein."

I don't think the OSP ever thought about anything but Iraq.

--
tanx,
Howard

The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

[email protected] wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Yeah, in French, one of the languages spoken there. In German,
>>> English and Dutch it's Luxemburg.

>> The USA Central Intelligence Agency prefers Luxembourg.
>>
>> <http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/lu.html#Govt>

> So that's another argument for "Luxemburg" then.
>
> On the other hand, the Pentagon's Office of Special Plans
> spells it "Liechtenstein."

POTM.

Howard Kveck wrote:

> But not at all like a starlet that never left Omaha but still talks smack
> about the ones who did.

he's ready for his close up....

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> Germany, it's known as Letzebuerg ... and the few Dutch speakers there refer
> to it as Luxemburg.

No, in German it's Luxemburg as well. Letzeburgisch (no umlaut afaik) is a
German dialect that a lot of Luxemburgers speak in everyday life. Some
Deluxeburger may flame me now for calling it a dialect not a language.

--
E. Dronkert

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> No, in German it's Luxemburg as well. Letzeburgisch (no umlaut afaik) is a
> German dialect that a lot of Luxemburgers speak in everyday life. Some
> Deluxeburger may flame me now for calling it a dialect not a language.

Deluxeburgers sounds like something that would be served at a rbr fatty
masters convention preferably with a dash of panache.

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:33:10 +0200, Donald Munro
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Deluxeburgers sounds like something that would be served at a rbr fatty
>masters convention preferably with a dash of panache.

Needs home delivery. We hate to have to go out and do all that moving
about stuff.

Does panache taste like mayonnaise?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Donald Munro wrote:
> Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
> >> Germany, it's known as Letzebuerg ... and the few Dutch speakers there refer
> >> to it as Luxemburg.

> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > No, in German it's Luxemburg as well. Letzeburgisch (no umlaut afaik) is a
> > German dialect that a lot of Luxemburgers speak in everyday life. Some
> > Deluxeburger may flame me now for calling it a dialect not a language.

> Deluxeburgers sounds like something that would be served at a rbr fatty
> masters convention preferably with a dash of panache.

Almost lunch, and a burger sounds just dandy, maybe a chocolate shake
and some onion rings. I could use a couple thousand calories for
lunch. Thanks for the idea. ;)

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> Does panache taste like mayonnaise?

Only in Belgium.

In article <[email protected]>,
Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:33:10 +0200, Donald Munro
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Deluxeburgers sounds like something that would be served at a rbr fatty
> >masters convention preferably with a dash of panache.

> Needs home delivery. We hate to have to go out and do all that moving
> about stuff.
>
> Does panache taste like mayonnaise?

I think it's in the Hollandaise family, Curtis. Not sure you'd want to put it
on your order of frites, though.

--

Donald Munro wrote:

> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> > No, in German it's Luxemburg as well. Letzeburgisch (no umlaut afaik) is a
> > German dialect that a lot of Luxemburgers speak in everyday life. Some
> > Deluxeburger may flame me now for calling it a dialect not a language.

> Deluxeburgers sounds like something that would be served at a rbr fatty
> masters convention preferably with a dash of panache.

The Deluxeburger is the name a McDonald's in Luxemburg
uses for what is normally called a Royale with Cheese.