Best place for road cycling in USA?

redbeach6506 said:
Hi, I live in Chicago. Like to know where in midwest could be considered a NICE place to ride weather permitted.. Wisconsin, Illinois specially.
Thanks
For some great rides in WI, check out the bombay cycling club. They do some awesome routes, all within 45-50 miles of the Madison area. I know quite a few people from chicago who have joined the rides, and more are always welcome.

Hello,

Yeah, I have one for you. The Morongo Basin is just North of the Joshua Tree National Park. The Park itself is a fantastic playground. Even without the park there are wonderful rides. I live here at 3500 ft. I commute one hour on Saturday's to ride at 500 ft with a club in the Coachella Valley. Plus you can ride from here to the Mojave national, Death Valley, the eastern Sierra and beyond on low/no traffic roads with varying terrain. Not to mention, the location is close enough to all the Southern California races. Come to think of it, I could take 62 East and not hit traffic until I get to your area. Come on out, I'll show you around.

Excuse me North SD County, he said no traffic.
Excuse me Victoria, but isn't raining there right now.
Right on East Coast sucks ass. I grew up there and until I moved to SoCal, I thought I liked sitting indoors reading.

TiMan said:
Any comments on what you might think is the best place for road cycling in the USA.....
Colorado Springs perhaps?
Redding California maybe?

I think the area should have good roads and lots of them, light traffic, good long climbs of at least 30 minutes and a decent climate....ya right he he he.

I live in Tucson and although we can ride all year long and also have a 20 plus mile 6 degree climb on the edge of town Tucson IS NOT my choice for the best place to ride/train because the traffic is UNREAL, the pavement and shoulders suck and the number of roads are quite limited.

I moved from Tucson when they destroyed many of the small businesses by putting in the streetcar. It's not what they did but how they did it.

Originally Posted by NomadVW

I'd recommend the trip around the Sacandaga Lake (IIRC it nets around 75 miles). I grew up on the northern most part of the lake and would love to go around it again some time. It's on my list of rides the summer after I return to the states in 2008.
Ah, I remember doing that one a few times during my summer in Saratoga Springs. If you stay in Saratoga, a mineral bath and massage make a fine post-ride repast.

Originally Posted by vggcyc
I moved from Tucson when they destroyed many of the small businesses by putting in the streetcar. It's not what they did but how they did it.
How would a streetcar destroy the small businesses?

"How would a streetcar destroy the small businesses?"

It was a streetcar named, "Desire"!

Originally Posted by steve

Maybe it has flamethrowers or rocket launchers or something on it...
big-smile.png

Enjoy North Carolina, it's a cool state, safe cycling, the roads are quiet, some are so quiet we chase the motorists away.

Folks here drive real careful and respect what is mentioned below, well at least in the area I live and ride.

Quote from NC laws and policies.

"In North Carolina, the bicycle has the legal status of a vehicle. This means that bicyclists have full
rights and responsibilities on the roadway and are subject to the regulations governing the
operation of a motor vehicle."

And

"There is no law that requires bicyclists to ride single file."

steve said:
The answer would require a political analysis of Tucson. With that said, the streetcar, while a big waste of money, has not had a big impact on businesses along its route, particularly 4th St. in Tucson. It's still a vibrant and busy part of town. What the steetcar has done that is bad is to introduce a bicycling hazard on the streets on which it runs, particularly the busy, narrower streets. The city had the choice to go with a type of rail that would not leave a gap into a which a bicycle tire would fall. Instead, they went with a rail that leaves a large gap. On top of that, the streetcar takes up a lot of room, leaving very little room for cyclists on some heavily cycled streets. The city also did a **** job with street markings and signage. With all that said, it's dead simple to pick another route to avoid the streetcar route. I'd still vote Tucson my favorite place to cycle with the Colorado mountains following in a very close second place.

Originally Posted by alienator

The answer would require a political analysis of Tucson. With that said, the streetcar, while a big waste of money, has not had a big impact on businesses along its route, particularly 4th St. in Tucson. It's still a vibrant and busy part of town. What the steetcar has done that is bad is to introduce a bicycling hazard on the streets on which it runs, particularly the busy, narrower streets. The city had the choice to go with a type of rail that would not leave a gap into a which a bicycle tire would fall. Instead, they went with a rail that leaves a large gap. On top of that, the streetcar takes up a lot of room, leaving very little room for cyclists on some heavily cycled streets. The city also did a **** job with street markings and signage. With all that said, it's dead simple to pick another route to avoid the streetcar route. I'd still vote Tucson my favorite place to cycle with the Colorado mountains following in a very close second place.
Thanks for the detail mate. We have them here, they work best when separated from the traffic, though thats not always possible.

Cleveland sold its streetcars to Toronto in the mid-1950's. No one was using them after the invention of the horseless carriage.

And here is why you don't ride a streetcar in Cleveland...you can get deaded pretty easily:

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/24177261/west-park-rta-station-closed-for-shooting

Waiting for a Rapid Transit streetcar is a great way to rapidly get to a morgue.

I've had merchandise in shops on the main strip for years. During the construction process which destroyed the roads & access to the shops, four of those shops closed. Not the corporate ones, the Mom and Pop shops. For what? $300 Million for a car that goes 3.9 miles with an avg speed of about 8 mph.

vggcyc said:
I've had merchandise in shops on the main strip for years. During the construction process which destroyed the roads & access to the shops, four of those shops closed. Not the corporate ones, the Mom and Pop shops. For what? $300 Million for a car that goes 3.9 miles with an avg speed of about 8 mph. 
Yup, the construction did mess up the street for a while, but a lot of stores and businesses--much more than four--that were mom and pop stores also survived. Still, that has nothing to with cycling in the rest of Tucson.

I live in Concord, California and I feel like I live in a bicycling paradise. The city repaved some of its main bike trails within the last two years. There's numerous bike trails within a 30 mile radius of where I live. I can do pretty much everything by bike. I seldom use my car as most of the places I want to go I can get to easily by bike. I usually commute to work by bike. You can put your bike on the very good train system they have here. Its a very bike friendly area. You could easily do a century ride in this area all on bike trails. No hassle with cars.

I have to second the notion that North County San Diego is one of the best places to ride. I live in Bonsall, just north of San Diego, and enjoy great, quiet roads, plenty of climbing, and the best all-around weather in the country. If anyone wants to check it out, my wife and I run Roadies Hideaway (www.roadieshideaway.com), a B&B specifically for cyclists.

Nice, Rich. Bookmarked.

There is also the re-opened Bicycle Inn in North, Carolina. http://www.bicycleinn.com/ Nice riding and weather that sure beats the 2° above zero we have this morning!

Edit: Dang, the Bicycle Inn is closed, again.

I understand that Hincapie has a new inn under construction in North Carolina. Will be a nice upscale place with bikes for guests, a big pool, etc. http://www.gadling.com/2013/04/20/pro-cycling-legend-george-hincapie-to-open-boutique-hotel-in-sou/

True, not directly relevant to cycling.. But entirely relevant to my now enjoying Northern Cali for my cycling. I miss the warm Tucson weather, but it's still warm enough with no snow here. Mountains and Ocean.... and not potholes every 17 inches.