best place for second hand recumbents

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Will H, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. Will H

    Will H Guest

    I'm considering buying a second hand recumbent and I wondered where people
    advertise them. I'm monitoring Ebay of course.

    Tags:

  2. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Will H
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > I'm considering buying a second hand recumbent and I wondered where
    > people advertise them. I'm monitoring Ebay of course.

    The other place to look is Velovision's small ads:
    <URL:http://www.velovision.co.uk/smallad/forsale.html>

    Until yesterday I too was looking for a second-hand recumbent on ebay...

    ;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

  3. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:05:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Until yesterday I too was looking for a second-hand recumbent on ebay...

    Evidently I've missed an Important Announcement. Where is my James
    Earl Jones impression?

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
    you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:05:02 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>Until yesterday I too was looking for a second-hand recumbent on
    >>ebay...

    > Evidently I've missed an Important Announcement. Where is my James
    > Earl Jones impression?

    No, you haven't missed an Important Announcement, because I haven't yet
    made an Important Announcement, although I have an Important (to me)
    Announcement which I will prolly get round to making in good time -
    where good time will come sometime after Billy the Post has delivered a
    large and awkward parcel with contents weighing rather less than the
    average bag of flour. And, I'm afraid, that's not a recumbent bag of
    flour.

    However, in the mean time, if I am to get said machine ready for a
    certain event in Edinburgh in a fortnight's time I need to get the
    other bits ordered sharpish. Which raises the question of gearing.

    On my #1 Road Fe, I currently have 52/42 on the front and 14-24 on the
    back. On my usual training loops around home this is OK, and my normal
    training loops include continuous climbs of 150 metres or so. But on
    the audax I did about a month ago, I found the combination of a hill, a
    headwind, and more miles than I was used to really punished me over the
    last third of the course; I need something lower for the hills. But I
    probably don't need something that much lower, particularly considering
    #1 Road Fe weighs about 28 lbs, and the new machine should take a bit
    off that.

    So the question really boils down to whether I get a short or a medium
    cage rear deraileur. A standard road double chainring these days seems
    to be 52/39, which gives me a little bit lower anyway. With a medium
    cage I could go up to 13-29 which gets me a lot lower (minimum 35.2",
    as against minimum 45.7" on my present setup). Is there any sensible
    reason why, as an unfit, middle aged cyclist, I shouldn't go for the
    13-29? Will it be balkier to change than a 12-25?

    I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
    who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

  5. the best place for a secnd hand recmumbent is under yor bum snigger
    --
    Morton Burner

  6. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    > So the question really boils down to whether I get a short or a medium
    > cage rear deraileur. A standard road double chainring these days seems
    > to be 52/39, which gives me a little bit lower anyway. With a medium
    > cage I could go up to 13-29 which gets me a lot lower (minimum 35.2",
    > as against minimum 45.7" on my present setup). Is there any sensible
    > reason why, as an unfit, middle aged cyclist, I shouldn't go for the
    > 13-29? Will it be balkier to change than a 12-25?

    Get a triple, you know it makes sense :)
    (triple + close ratio sprockets = great)

    cheers,
    clive

  7. Roos Eisma

    Roos Eisma Guest

    "Will H" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I'm considering buying a second hand recumbent and I wondered where people
    >advertise them. I'm monitoring Ebay of course.

    The Dutch second hand market is a lot bigger than the UK one:
    http://www.ligfiets.net/markt/

    Roos

  8. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Clive George
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> So the question really boils down to whether I get a short or a
    >> medium cage rear deraileur. A standard road double chainring these
    >> days seems to be 52/39, which gives me a little bit lower anyway.
    >> With a medium cage I could go up to 13-29 which gets me a lot lower
    >> (minimum 35.2", as against minimum 45.7" on my present setup). Is
    >> there any sensible reason why, as an unfit, middle aged cyclist, I
    >> shouldn't go for the 13-29? Will it be balkier to change than a
    >> 12-25?

    > Get a triple, you know it makes sense :)

    I don't want a triple. They're ugly, and it would be a shame to spoil
    this beautiful bike. What I really want is a Specialites TA Vega Light,
    but I'm not sure I can afford it. I mean, I _know_ I can't afford it
    but then I can't really afford any part of this project, but I'm doing
    it anyway...

    Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
    ... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.

  9. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I don't want a triple. They're ugly, and it would be a shame to spoil
    : this beautiful bike. What I really want is a Specialites TA Vega Light,
    : but I'm not sure I can afford it. I mean, I _know_ I can't afford it
    : but then I can't really afford any part of this project, but I'm doing
    : it anyway...

    Get a TA Vega Light. I've got one. They are very nice indeed. I'm currently
    running 38/48 12-23 with the 34 inner sat ready for the hard rides.

    I used 34x26 as a bottom gear in the alps and it worked nicely.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  10. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Will H wrote:
    > I'm considering buying a second hand recumbent and I wondered where people
    > advertise them. I'm monitoring Ebay of course.

    D-Tek in Cambridge have a used selection IIRC, Little Thetford, Cambs,
    01353 648177, [email protected]

    Kinetics has a sales and wants bulletin board at
    http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/bbs/

    Note of caution: "a recumbent" is not a very useful classification, so
    be sure you know what /sort/ of recumbent you want before you get one.
    For example, if you want to tour for miles in relaxed comfort with a
    pile of luggage then something like a track lowracer probably isn't the
    thing, or if you want to go screamingly fast an urban compact like a
    BikeE would be a bit of a partial success... Consider a possible
    equivalent question starting "I am considering buying a second hand
    upright cycle", and the questions that leaves unanswered: same goes for
    'bents. I'm sure the Dark Side Team here would be happy to supply
    further answers if you have further questions though.

    Another note of caution is try before you buy is highly recommended. If
    you don't like the saddle on an upright you just change it for one you
    do like, but your options for replacement seats may be quite limited and
    it's important to get one that suits you.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  11. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Arthur Clune
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : I don't want a triple. They're ugly, and it would be a shame to
    > : spoil this beautiful bike. What I really want is a Specialites TA
    > : Vega Light, but I'm not sure I can afford it. I mean, I _know_ I
    > : can't afford it but then I can't really afford any part of this
    > : project, but I'm doing it anyway...
    >
    > Get a TA Vega Light. I've got one.

    Damn. Yes, I do know I want to... but I've just ordered a Campag Centaur
    groupset instead. Corners had to be cut somewhere. The TA chainset does
    look much prettier, though.

    Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
    ;; the Worlock