Best Place to attack on a hill.

Depends on a number of factors:

1) First and foremost, your LEGS! :D
2) Length of hill.
3) Steepness (sp?) of hill.
4) Distance from finish.
5) Number of other riders with you.
6) Which ones are better climbers than u?
7) Length of downhill on the other side to ' make the gap stick ' once u get away.
and a few other points that I am sure others will point out!

Happy riding! :rolleyes:

How and where you attack on the hill also depends on your goal. Is it to get a good break on the group and maintain it or are you attacking to just try and shake away some of the riders who either aren't so good on hills or are the pesky sprinters sitting on at the back?

I often do the 2nd option, because i hate it when people sit at the back not doing any work for the whole damn race and then sprint you for the win - luckily the tactic often works because a number of those sprinters that i race aren't too good on hills.

Like Nike says, "just do it." The only place would be to just get on it and get up there. What are you going to do walk up it? No ride and push your way up until you get over it.

At my current skill level, especially since I haven't been riding as frequently, I almost always start from the very bottom or towards the middle/last third of the hill. It definitely depends on the length and grade though.

If it's something like the shallow, rolling hills I get on my commute, I wait until the top to give myself an extra push on the way down. Anything much steeper and I start closer to the bottom because I have a hard time building power up halfway through a climb once my legs start to get tired.