Best place to buy wheel online

jkmskfk

Jul 28, 2013
Im trying to buy some decent high rims
what web site would be the best place to buy wheels????

What kind of riding do you do and are you actually looking for complete wheelsets or just rims?

You'll likely get the Asian spammers jumping in next about their great wheelsets at incredible prices. I would not buy those no matter how good the prices look. Buy something reputable from a company that is actually honorable enough to be straight forward about their advertising and sales and does not resort to spamming internet discussion groups. If you can't trust them to do business honestly why trust them with the wheels you'll ride every day?

excelsports is great but i can't see high profile rims, there are many online shops really and also wheelbuilders, somewhere in the forums there is a thread with all that information, and good old amazon, i bought from them a couple of DTswiss rims with a 36 spoke count which i couldn't find anywhere else,

Hi, yeah thats what im saying. what website has good customer service and other stuff
price range probably 1000 to 2000
FFWD reynolds mavic eatson ?

jkmskfk said:
Hi, yeah thats what im saying. what website has good customer service and other stuff price range probably 1000 to 2000 FFWD reynolds mavic eatson ?
Check out Wheelbuilder.com. They have a bunch of custom options, and you'll at least get to see what sort of price range custom deep section wheels can fall in.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Check out Wheelbuilder.com. They have a bunch of custom options, and you'll at least get to see what sort of price range custom deep section wheels can fall in.
+1 on Wheelbuilder, they're a class outfit that makes some great products.

If you want to go off the shelf and completely built wheelsets at a good price I'd check out Williams or Boyd or if money's tighter check out Neuvation.

-Dave

Yoeleo!

November wheels get my thumbs up. Not the least expensive, but good bang for the buck.

IMO - a really good bang for the buck is at FLO. I have the FLO 60's which is like a HED Jet 6, but much cheaper. It has the shape of a ZIPP 404 Firecrest, but instead of being all carbon has an aluminum structure and brake track with a carbon fairing. For my road bikes I use a set of Kinlin wheels built up by Wheelbuilder and a set of DT Swiss wheels built by Excel. I have traded emails with Boyd and he is extremely responsive and I would not hesitate to buy from him. You can web search for Boyd and find a lot of positive thoughts. Boyd has recently upgraded the shape of his line of carbon rims to the to latest craze of toroidal shape.

I am currently in talks with Wheelbuilder to have my Kinlin Powertap wheel relaced to a HED Belgium C2, have new bearings installed and have the PT hub checked for calibration since they are authorized service center for Powertap. I only say this because in our discussions they have been extremely helpful in getting me an estimate and PT hub serviced and the Kinlin wheels they built have never needed service as for truing. They have been rock solid. Weird though I am getting my front wheel to match using the same HED Belgium C2 from Excel because it is substantially cheaper than all other places and they too do a really nice job building wheels. Both of these places can custom build and send out within a couple of days. Excel is limited on rim choices though and it looks like ENVE is what they have and those are not cheap rims. Wheelbuilder has a lot of rim choices, as well as, hub and spoke choices.

I really do like my FLO 60's a whole lot (they are not light like a full carbon tubular) and what makes them so special to me is how cheap they are compared to HED Jets. However, the drawback is how you have to purchase. You have to sign up for the Pre Order and on the day of purchase you have to be one of the lucky and fastest keyboard entries to get a set. I got lucky with the FLO 60's, but last week tried for a set of FLO 30's and failed to get my order processed fast enough. (now going with the HED Belgium instead) There are a whole lot of guys and gals now competing in triathlons with FLO wheels and there are a lot of positive comments. Biggest thing is not being out the cost of ZIPP wheels in a catastrophic crash. Also having an aluminum brake surface is nice and I can run the same brake pads on all my bikes without having to swap out when changing wheel sets. I can just grab whatever wheel set I want as I am rushing out the door depending on weather or road conditions. Pros and cons to a lot of how you train, ride and or race.

One of the other things to consider if you want a wider rim width. That will also make a limit as to your selection and store. The FLO 60's for instance has a 23mm as do the HED, ZIPP and Boyd I think does now.

At one time I looked at alliexpress type wheels and while many have had good luck it doesn't take long to see a number of folk that have not been so lucky so I wasn't willing to gamble with my dollars.

When I am looking for wheels the companies I tend to go to are these (not saying that my selection list is the best. Just saying that these are my personal choices.)

FLO
Wheelbuilder.com
Excel Sports
Boyd
Williams
HED (can be found at times on sale at ebay or online at various cycle shops)

Originally Posted by alienator .

Don't forget that you don't do legitimate advertising. Instead you spam forums with your ****.
Is this really spam? Since the original poster is asking us to name businesses, I'd say it's the answer to a question, not spam.

paulmurphy said:
Is this really spam?  Since the original poster is asking us to name businesses, I'd say it's the answer to a question, not spam.
I'd say it's continuation of the spam this poster has spread. Just because he accidentally posts his **** in a relevant thread doesn't make it better.

mybike88 said:
We have freedom of speech without the intent of harming others,sir,Why you can write a advertising,And others can not ??
I don't write advertising, spammer. Why don't advertise without spamming? There is a classified section. Reputable manufacturers and dealers pay for advertising.

Originally Posted by mybike88 .

We have freedom of speech without the intent of harming others,sir,Why you can write a advertising,And others can not ??
Actually there is no implicit freedom of speech on a privately owned internet forum. There are only terms of use and on this site spamming as in unpaid advertising for commercial products is not allowed. Talk to Steve about running an ad on his site and folks will cut you slack as then you become a site sponsor not an opportunistic spammer.

Again for folks following this thread and looking for cycling equipment I'd strongly advise not doing business with companies that can't honesty pay for advertising and ignore the terms of use of these boards hoping to spam their way to greater sales. If you can't trust them to do honest business with regards to advertising and supporting this site then why would you trust them to deliver quality products or stand behind those products?

Just say no to spammers and support the vendors that have enough integrity and class to sponsor the site or at least don't resort to spam tactics.

-Dave

Originally Posted by paulmurphy .

Is this really spam? Since the original poster is asking us to name businesses, I'd say it's the answer to a question, not spam.
Follow the spammers posting history each and every one an ad for his products. At this point I'd suspect the OP's question (his first post on these boards) is just a shill for the spammer Maybe not and we answered his question assuming it's a legitimate question but if you look at the pattern of the vendor above there's a clear trail of spam.

Steve's not getting rich running these boards, a lot of us have been members of this community for a long time and have seen the spammers nearly take it down a few times. The least vendors like this can do is pay a nominal advertising fee, become site sponsors and help the boards survive. Do that and they're part of the solution. Continue to spam and they're part of the problem and shouldn't be rewarded for that behavior.

-Dave

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to shop with Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK. Like so many online retailers, they promise the world but deliver (if you're lucky), very little. And, when you try to get some sort of service, it is virtually non-existent. You would be better off paying more, and buying locally. You will have what you want, straight away and without endless frustration.

While I have not purchased wheels from Chain Reaction Cycles, I have ordered multiple times with great service. What went wrong, Peter?

Ordered shoes a month ago that haven't turned up. Have asked for information which they can't provide. Have asked for a refund which they've refused. And, now they won't respond to my emails. That about sums it up.

Quote: Originally Posted by petermelville .

Ordered shoes a month ago that haven't turned up. Have asked for information which they can't provide. Have asked for a refund which they've refused. And, now they won't respond to my emails. That about sums it up.

Name and shame, you brought what from who?

If you want to buy something online, really difficult.
But if found the right person, it will bring you convenience

"Have asked for a refund which they've refused."

Always pay with a credit card. Contest the charges.