Best post-ride recovery meals

recycled-one

Guest
I find I crave certain foods after a strenuous ride. In the summer when
perspiration is considerable nothing calls me like watermelon.

Absent water issues I find I really crave animal protein 'heavy' foods. The
idea of a steak dinner - medium rare with wild rice pilaf... I start
dreaming about it before the end of the ride.

Of course I don't always indulge but I get the idea my body is telling me I
need to replenish these certain types of nutrients.

Anyone else have specific bie-induced cravings?

a cold beer often comes to mind as I am grinding out those last miles.

"recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I find I crave certain foods after a strenuous ride. In the summer when
> perspiration is considerable nothing calls me like watermelon.
>
> Absent water issues I find I really crave animal protein 'heavy' foods.
> The idea of a steak dinner - medium rare with wild rice pilaf... I start
> dreaming about it before the end of the ride.
>
> Of course I don't always indulge but I get the idea my body is telling me
> I need to replenish these certain types of nutrients.
>
> Anyone else have specific bie-induced cravings?

It would make sense to get some protein in after a ride, just like it makes
sense to after lifting weights. That being said, I always crave Mexican food
after a hard ride. Mole' Poblano and a couple of Negro Modelos. :)

"recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I find I crave certain foods after a strenuous ride. In the summer when
> perspiration is considerable nothing calls me like watermelon.

I think of watermelon not as a recovery food, but as something to sustain
oneself during a ride. Unfortunately, it's bulky to carry around, so it's
the sort of thing you usually get on organized rides.

> Absent water issues I find I really crave animal protein 'heavy' foods.
> The idea of a steak dinner - medium rare with wild rice pilaf... I start
> dreaming about it before the end of the ride.

I admit that the best mid-point dinner I had on a back-to-back century was
the Prime Rib special, with an order of blueberry pie at the end.

And I'll never forget how me, my husband, and a group of friends plowed
through plate after plate of Japanese food at an all-you-can-eat sushi bar
in Vancouver, at the end of the RSVP (Ride Seattle-Vancouver and Party) ride
(178 miles). I think it's the salt in the soy sauce.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

recycled-one wrote:
> I find I crave certain foods after a strenuous ride. In the summer when
> perspiration is considerable nothing calls me like watermelon.
>
> Absent water issues I find I really crave animal protein 'heavy' foods. The
> idea of a steak dinner - medium rare with wild rice pilaf... I start
> dreaming about it before the end of the ride.
>
> Of course I don't always indulge but I get the idea my body is telling me I
> need to replenish these certain types of nutrients.
>
> Anyone else have specific bike-induced cravings?

When I've been riding I actually enjoy tomatoes and am willing to eat
uncooked cucumbers. I'd say that counts as cravings since those two
items are on my no-go food list BEFORE pigs' feet and cows'
intenstines.

-M

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:25:12 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

> "recycled-one" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> I find I crave certain foods after a strenuous ride. In the summer when
>> perspiration is considerable nothing calls me like watermelon.

> I think of watermelon not as a recovery food, but as something to
> sustain oneself during a ride. Unfortunately, it's bulky to carry
> around, so it's the sort of thing you usually get on organized rides.
>
>> Absent water issues I find I really crave animal protein 'heavy' foods.
>> The idea of a steak dinner - medium rare with wild rice pilaf... I
>> start dreaming about it before the end of the ride.

> I admit that the best mid-point dinner I had on a back-to-back century
> was the Prime Rib special, with an order of blueberry pie at the end.
>
> And I'll never forget how me, my husband, and a group of friends plowed
> through plate after plate of Japanese food at an all-you-can-eat sushi
> bar in Vancouver, at the end of the RSVP (Ride Seattle-Vancouver and
> Party) ride (178 miles). I think it's the salt in the soy sauce.

I could eat sushi forever too. The salt may be the reason, but white rice
has has a very high glycemic index. Taking hits of simple carbs like this
is like crack when you're famished.

Fish is usually my meat of choice. For something richer I'd probably go
for a nice duck entree with a big pile of mashed potatoes, and a good
pinot noir.

Matt O.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:29:30 -0800, Will wrote:

> a cold beer often comes to mind as I am grinding out those last miles.

Liquid bread!

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 06:29:30 -0800, Will wrote:
>
>> a cold beer often comes to mind as I am grinding out those last miles.

> Liquid bread!
>
> Matt O.

I did a hot double one year and all I could think of for the last 2
hours was a cold beer. I called my wife and begged her to bring some to
the finish. It tasted terrible! I couldn't gag down half a bottle. I was
shocked. Apparently all my body wanted was sweet and salty stuff. Those
were the only times I felt a ham sandwich needed salt.

recycled-one wrote:
> I find I crave certain foods after a strenuous ride. In the summer when
> perspiration is considerable nothing calls me like watermelon.
>
> Absent water issues I find I really crave animal protein 'heavy' foods. The
> idea of a steak dinner - medium rare with wild rice pilaf... I start
> dreaming about it before the end of the ride.
>
> Of course I don't always indulge but I get the idea my body is telling me I
> need to replenish these certain types of nutrients.
>
> Anyone else have specific bie-induced cravings?

Yep,
Anything edible.
The best was a Chinese all you can eat buffet where I got to stuff up on
shrimp and fish, 3 plates of near pure protein.
A cold beer sounds good, but I quit that some years back so now it is
Cherry Coke.
Bill

oilfreeandhappy wrote:

<snip>

I see no point in undoing all the health benefits
> of my ride by eating a bunch of fat and cholesterol.

Of course you are free to eat whatever you prefer.

However, there are many meat choices that are not particularly high in
either fat or cholestrol.

Most of the nutritional studies I've seen find no problem with animal
protein--but like everything else moderation is the key.

I see much more of a helath problem in high caloric consumption rather
than meat consumption. All those morbidly obese folks didn't get there
on lamb chops.

But again, if you prefer vegetable protein that is your privilege.

> Anyone else have specific bie-induced cravings?

The first year I rode the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred, I dreamed of Chicken
Fried Steak the last 30 miles. That was all I could think about, CFS and
mashed potatoes with white gravy and maybe some black-eyed peas. How was I
to know that there isn't a decent place in all of Wichita Falls, Texas, for
chicken fried steak! What a bleeping let down!

Pat in TX

recycled-one <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone else have specific bike-induced cravings?

Mango Nectar and seltzer - lots and lots of it.
Mango Tarts are nice too.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Ignorance is bliss?!! It oughta be painful!" - Solomon Short

"catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pat in TX wrote:
>>>Anyone else have specific bie-induced cravings?

>> The first year I rode the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred, I dreamed of Chicken
>> Fried Steak the last 30 miles. That was all I could think about, CFS and
>> mashed potatoes with white gravy and maybe some black-eyed peas. How was
>> I to know that there isn't a decent place in all of Wichita Falls, Texas,
>> for chicken fried steak! Pat in TX
>>

> Don't tell anybody else, but you could head over to the Whistle Stop in
> nearby Electra. It wasn't fancy, but the chicken fried steak was good.
> Somebody else recommended "Fat" McBride's on the Seymour Hwy there in WFT.
> Maybe there are some actual natives who can help you out.

A relatively new place is the Pumpjack Diner...

Mark wrote:
> "catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>The first year I rode the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred, I dreamed of Chicken
>>>Fried Steak the last 30 miles. That was all I could think about, CFS and
>>>mashed potatoes with white gravy and maybe some black-eyed peas. How was
>>>I to know that there isn't a decent place in all of Wichita Falls, Texas,
>>>for chicken fried steak! Pat in TX
>>>

>>Don't tell anybody else, but you could head over to the Whistle Stop in
>>nearby Electra. It wasn't fancy, but the chicken fried steak was good.
>>Somebody else recommended "Fat" McBride's on the Seymour Hwy there in WFT.
>>Maybe there are some actual natives who can help you out.

> A relatively new place is the Pumpjack Diner...

Near downtown, if it is the place I am thinking of, right?

Will wrote:
> a cold beer often comes to mind as I am grinding out those last miles.

especially on a hot day.... just fill the tub with beer, get in and
drink to the bottom!

Seriously, i also think of nice rare steaks, vegetarian pizza and french
fries, and will often have an orange when i get home.

"catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mark wrote:
>> "catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>Don't tell anybody else, but you could head over to the Whistle Stop in
>>>nearby Electra. It wasn't fancy, but the chicken fried steak was good.
>>>Somebody else recommended "Fat" McBride's on the Seymour Hwy there in
>>>WFT. Maybe there are some actual natives who can help you out.

>> A relatively new place is the Pumpjack Diner...

> Near downtown, if it is the place I am thinking of, right?

That's right. It's on Broad street right before you get on the highway.
Chicken fried steak might be called a "Blue Plate Special".

>Anyone else have specific bie-induced cravings?

sushi/maki rolls with full sodium soy
kosher pickles
Classic Coca-Cola

I'm a RAGBRAI virgin. Recommendations for a conveniently located sushi
place on the RAGBRAI route would be much appreciated? Thanks!

oilfreeandhappy wrote:
> As far as Veg eating, I don't prosletyze it too much. I mentioned it
> here as a good protein source and I stand behind that - and it's a
> complete protein. All I can say is that the Veg diet has worked for me
> for about 20 years now.

I hope it continues to. But at 23, being 5'10" and 130 lbs (59 kg), my
metabolism is hard for me to keep up with. After 9 yrs, I just couldn't
support my active lifestyle on any reasonable budget. I feel so much
better and stronger now that I gave it up.

\\paul

Pat in TX wrote:
>>Anyone else have specific bie-induced cravings?

> The first year I rode the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred, I dreamed of Chicken
> Fried Steak the last 30 miles. That was all I could think about, CFS and
> mashed potatoes with white gravy and maybe some black-eyed peas. How was I
> to know that there isn't a decent place in all of Wichita Falls, Texas, for
> chicken fried steak! What a bleeping let down!
>
> Pat in TX

I've heard of CFS and wondered how anyone can eat that stuff... it's
probably delicious but it sounds so GREASY, and also like it would make
you feel more sluggish than anything. But I've never tried it, so who am
i to judge... as long as you don't drink milk with it. Now THAT would be
gross...