Best Price For A Single Speed?

johnderman

Feb 22, 2015
I might be looking for another single speed soon and wondering if you guys can recommend a good place in the states to get a good price on one. Yes, I know Walmart has some, but the chains are cheap, imho. Any suggestions? Of course, I can replace the chain, but I think the sprockets aren't that great either.

You're going to have to go to an actual bike shop rather than Walmart or another retailer chain that carries bicycles. You're going to spend more upfront on a better bike, but you'll save hundreds, if not thousands, in maintenance related to cheaper bikes. I wouldn't recommend going to Walmart, and your local bike shop is going to have dozens of better options for your needs.

Spend more up front, spend less in the long run. That's the basic rule for most machines. Hence, the same applies with a bike. I would say that a minimum singlespeed would be perhaps a 6KU, but the hubs on those are pretty **** and the wheels are as well. Perhaps go on some websites like Reddit to see what's going on in each price range.

I'd agree with vespid49. Fortunately, most of us won't put a singlespeed through too much punishment, so you don't need something that's top of the line in most cases. I'm comfortable spending a few hundred on one of these bikes, though I could probably spend a couple hundred and still get my money's worth with careful maintenance.

I'm the cheap guy in the group. If this bike is just to get around the neighborhood and to the end of the block to the store, then I'd just go for something cheap or even a used one. If you plan to make longer rides where comfort and safety is a must, then you need to get something with better quality.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
johnderman said:
I might be looking for another single speed soon and wondering if you guys can recommend a good place in the states to get a good price on one. Yes, I know Walmart has some, but the chains are cheap, imho. Any suggestions? Of course, I can replace the chain, but I think the sprockets aren't that great either.
The best deals are gonna be used. I'd rather have quality used parts then overpriced garbage IMHO.

Hmm, I don't think they're very expensive, maybe not as expensive as a non single one. I think if you go to a shop and look for yourself it would show better deals than finding on the internet, because you might be surprised at how cheap they might be compared to really popular brands, which you don't actually need in my opinion.

I would suggest building one if your up for the task. You could find some quality used parts (or new) at a decent price online. If you don't have the know how, maybe you have a bicycle kitchen somewhere in your town. They'll generally walk you through the building process for a small donation and they have all the tools you would need.

bicyclez said:
I would suggest building one if your up for the task. You could find some quality used parts (or new) at a decent price online. If you don't have the know how, maybe you have a bicycle kitchen somewhere in your town. They'll generally walk you through the building process for a small donation and they have all the tools you would need.
Oh that's right. I know that building one is much cheaper, but it is a bit of a labour. I know that for sure building one is also better because you know all of the elements and gives you experience to fix it if something goes wrong, relying on yourself basically.

It's definitely worth investing more at the beginning rather than spending money on constant repairs. Walmart does not seem like the right place to buy a bike, try a specialized bike shop!

Big stores are a little bit over-vilified around here. The quality isn't all that great but it isn't as horrible as some would have you believe. That said, if you are going to get a lot of use out of it or need better quality a local shop is probably the way to go.

I've seen some as low as 30$ on craigslist. You just have to search for them deals. If you find one at a yard sale your golden, lol!