Best puncture resistant clincher tires

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I haven't gotten a flat yet with my Panaracer Pasela TG Kevlar bead
> tires.
>
> OTOH, I've only ridden them 50 miles or so.

Dude, you went and jinxed me! I got my first flat on my Pasela TGs today! I
didn't recover whatever caused it, but it cut through the casing, so I had
to patch the tube AND boot the casing. It was a really slow leak, so I was
able to stop and pump it back up to ~80 psi every 5 miles or so, before it
went down to about 40.

Hey, it got me back to the car.

Anyway, the tire has maybe 1000 miles on it, and it already has a
noticeably flat contact patch, so I'm not horribly impressed with their
durability.

Anybody use Continental Gatorskins?

[email protected] wrote:
> the latest thread i could find on "best puncture resistant" clinchers
> was from early 2004, Vittoria tires seems to be a group
> favorite...anyone have any updated recommendations? I am not really too
> concerned with "speedy" tires, since I dont race but I'm looking for
> something that I could forget worrying about flats if I roll over a
> nice empty broken bottle of beer, a splattering of nails, Vietnam
> War-era punji sticks, ;-), well you know what I mean...thanks for your
> recommendations.
> -M

3 years of winter wet-ride commutes on hutchinson "profil U" and
hutchinson excels. not a single puncture. other tires on the same
commute puncture once or twice a ride on the same route when it's wet.
no exaggeration.

Hank Wirtz wrote:

<snipped>

-Pasela TGs-

> Anyway, the tire has maybe 1000 miles on it, and it already has a
> noticeably flat contact patch, so I'm not horribly impressed with their
> durability.

Here's another data point: I've been using a set of 700x32 Paselas
(non-TG) on one of my bikes. I just checked my mileage log and the
tires; with ~1750 miles, the rear tire still has plenty of tread and
the contact area is not noticeably flat. Rider weight ~210lbs.

Antti Salonen wrote:
> G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I haven't gotten a flat yet with my Panaracer Pasela TG Kevlar bead tires.
>>
>>OTOH, I've only ridden them 50 miles or so.

> So this information is useful to anybody exactly how?

Lighten up dude. It was a parody of a typical Usenet post. I should
have left out the 2nd sentence.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>>I haven't gotten a flat yet with my Panaracer Pasela TG Kevlar bead
>>tires.
>>
>>OTOH, I've only ridden them 50 miles or so.
>>

> Dude, you went and jinxed me! I got my first flat on my Pasela TGs today!

Damn, sorry boot that.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

On 18 Mar 2006 20:23:29 -0800, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ken wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote in news:1142735908.677776.207100
>> @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>> > the latest thread i could find on "best puncture resistant" clinchers
>> > was from early 2004, Vittoria tires seems to be a group
>> > favorite...anyone have any updated recommendations?

>> Specialized Armadillo

>I second that.
>
>Tom

Noticed yesterday that our local police use Armadillos on their bikes,
I spotted the red sidewalls.... asking them about them, they liked
them, they had few problems with them, liked the tread pattern.

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon

jim beam wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> the latest thread i could find on "best puncture resistant" clinchers
>> was from early 2004, Vittoria tires seems to be a group
>> favorite...anyone have any updated recommendations? I am not really
>> too concerned with "speedy" tires, since I dont race but I'm looking
>> for something that I could forget worrying about flats if I roll
>> over a nice empty broken bottle of beer, a splattering of nails,
>> Vietnam War-era punji sticks, ;-), well you know what I
>> mean...thanks for your recommendations.
>> -M
>>

> 3 years of winter wet-ride commutes on hutchinson "profil U" and
> hutchinson excels. not a single puncture. other tires on the same
> commute puncture once or twice a ride on the same route when it's wet.
> no exaggeration.

I second that... as we've discussed before, the Excels excel at keeping
things out of the tube, but the ride quality is almost as bad as an air-free
tire ;)

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>the latest thread i could find on "best puncture resistant" clinchers
>>>was from early 2004, Vittoria tires seems to be a group
>>>favorite...anyone have any updated recommendations? I am not really
>>>too concerned with "speedy" tires, since I dont race but I'm looking
>>>for something that I could forget worrying about flats if I roll
>>>over a nice empty broken bottle of beer, a splattering of nails,
>>>Vietnam War-era punji sticks, ;-), well you know what I
>>>mean...thanks for your recommendations.
>>>-M
>>>

>>3 years of winter wet-ride commutes on hutchinson "profil U" and
>>hutchinson excels. not a single puncture. other tires on the same
>>commute puncture once or twice a ride on the same route when it's wet.
>>no exaggeration.

> I second that... as we've discussed before, the Excels excel at keeping
> things out of the tube, but the ride quality is almost as bad as an air-free
> tire ;)

agreed! but when i want to get to work in the rain, and i /don't/ want
to **** about with multiple flats when i have one eye on the clock, i am
/very/ happy to endure truck tire ride qualities as the price of
reliability.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote in news:1142735908.677776.207100
> @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>> the latest thread i could find on "best puncture resistant" clinchers
>> was from early 2004, Vittoria tires seems to be a group
>> favorite...anyone have any updated recommendations?

> Specialized Armadillo

I tried these. I found that the outer casing on the rear tyre started to
peel off causing a slight bump which I believe may have contributed (after
probably a few hundred miles) to spoke breakage.

Phileas

jim beam wrote:

> agreed! but when i want to get to work in the rain, and i /don't/ want
> to **** about with multiple flats when i have one eye on the clock, i am
> /very/ happy to endure truck tire ride qualities as the price of
> reliability.

You should try what people used in WWII in Europe, when there were no
bicycle tires: wooden tires. No more flats, guranteed!

Gr, Derk

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:57:29 -0800, mxd1007 wrote:

> in the earlier threads that I was looking up on here, someone mentioned
> Danny at Critusa([email protected]) for best prices on tires....so I
> emailed him and told him what's the best tire hae has that is the most
> puncture resistant and he replied back Michelin Krylon Carbon tires,
> 700x23 @ 240 grams. Anyone know of these or used them?....thanks for the
> other recommendations. Here is an interesting link, a college study done
> on tire flats with some well know brand name tires. found this on
> google.
>
> http://biomech.me.unr.edu/****/abstracts/puncture.htm

The Krylion Carbon is the same as the previous Carbon, and the Axial
Carbon before it. They're not "flatproof" like Armadillos but they're
much better than typical race tires, while giving up little (if anything)
in speed. They're probably equivalent to the Continental Gatorskin.
These are all very popular training/race tires, with good reason.

I have some new Carbons with about 500 miles on them now. No flats so
far, but that's not much mileage yet. Otherwise I'm very happy with them.
I'd buy them again.

Regarding Vittorias -- the latest Evo series are known for being somewhat
fragile, typical of "race" tires. But my experience with the previous
Open Pro CX was pretty good. I got no flats for 2k miles, then one after
another as the tread wore thin. I really like these Vittorias, but
they're ludicrously expensive.

Matt O.

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 06:57:29 -0800, mxd1007 wrote:

> in the earlier threads that I was looking up on here, someone mentioned
> Danny at Critusa([email protected]) for best prices on tires....so I
> emailed him and told him what's the best tire hae has that is the most
> puncture resistant and he replied back Michelin Krylon Carbon tires,
> 700x23 @ 240 grams. Anyone know of these or used them?....thanks for
> the other recommendations. Here is an interesting link, a college study
> done on tire flats with some well know brand name tires. found this on
> google.
>
> http://biomech.me.unr.edu/****/abstracts/puncture.htm

I should point out that half the tires in this test are a couple of
generations old, and probably discontinued. Newer versions or newer
models from these manufacturers may be better, and so might the test
results. Continental has some newer Armadillo-like models. Michelin's race
tires have been improved, and the Carbon has been introduced.

Matt O.

[email protected] wrote:

> puncture r esistant and he replied back Michelin Krylon Carbon tires,
> 700x23 @ 240 grams. Anyone know of these or used them?....thanks for

That's Krylion, if you want to search on Google. They seem to be the
same as the old Carbons, in turn the same as the old Axial Carbons,
with one notable improvement: you can now get them with grey stripes
instead of just yellow or red. Technology marches on.

You can pretty well guess much of the relative puncture resistance of
tires by handling them in the store. The thicker and harder the tire,
the more puncture resistant. Extremely puncture resistant tires are
either extremely thick (Schwalbe Marathon Plus, >1cm of rubber been
road and tube) or extremely tough or hard (Specialized Armadillo). Both
have deleterious effects on ride quality and rolling resistance, the
latter probably more than the former.

But apparently you are just looking for puncture resistance in a
lightweight road tire, not something super resistant like a Marathon
Plus, Aramadillo, Continental Top Touring, or Vittoria Randoneur. If
you still want low rolling resistance and a good ride, and the size you
are looking at is 700x23 or 25, probably the Michelin Carbons are your
best bet. The rubber is the thickest and hardest of any that I have
handled in my hands (but without a hard/tough casing like a specialized
Armadillo, so the ride is nothing like those). How much difference
would they actually make over any other tire? Nobody knows in a
quantifiable manner. All we can say is that they are very durable.

> Here is an interesting link, a college study
> done on tire flats with some well know brand name tires. found this on
> google.
>
> http://biomech.me.unr.edu/****/abstracts/puncture.htm

There are many problems with that study which Jobst and I discussed in
an earlier thread, google for that article. Among them are the
unrepeatability of the glass hazard used.e

> My vote goes for Schwalbe marathon PLUS

I'll second that. I used to get a puncture about every 3 months with
Specialized Armadillos, none so far in 7 months on the Marathons. There was
an unfortunate few weeks in between using Specialized "all conditions" where
I was getting several per week. This is commuting on the glass-strewn
streets of London.

18 Mar 2006 18:38:28 -0800, <[email protected]> skrev:

> the latest thread i could find on "best puncture resistant" clinchers
> was from early 2004, Vittoria tires seems to be a group
> favorite...anyone have any updated recommendations? I am not really too
> concerned with "speedy" tires, since I dont race but I'm looking for
> something that I could forget worrying about flats if I roll over a
> nice empty broken bottle of beer, a splattering of nails, Vietnam
> War-era punji sticks, ;-), well you know what I mean...thanks for your
> recommendations.
> -M

Several of the recommended tires are normal quality tires, that will
eventually puncture once in a while.

On my everyday commuter bicycle I will tolerate no flats - as it would
make me late for work (unless I leave home 10 minutes earlier every day).

So I have put on some rather (but not extremely) heavy and rather (but not
extremely) expensive tires "Dutch Perfect No Flat Tyre". They never
puncture. They are however difficult to mount.

http://www.dutch-perfect.nl/frm-gb.asp

They are available in many different sizes- I use 28 mm on my commuter
bike. I know a guy who rides these tires in the 25 mm version on his
racer and did so during the Paris-Brest-Paris ride three years ago. It may
have slowed him down some, but he had no flats - I had three. I want
lighter and faster tires on my racer and take the flats that come with
them.

Ivar

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:36:04 +0000, POHB wrote:

>> My vote goes for Schwalbe marathon PLUS

> I'll second that.

Thirded. I've had no problems with Stelvios on a notoriously
puncture-prone 17" wheel bike, nor with the Marathon Slicks on another
(20" + 26" wheels). I'm going to get a pair of Marathons for yet another
bike later this week. I'm pretty impressed with Schwalbe.

The Marathon Plus is their heaviest-duty tyre, so should be capable of
handling anything.

Mike

[email protected] wrote:
> the latest thread i could find on "best puncture resistant" clinchers
> was from early 2004, Vittoria tires seems to be a group
> favorite...anyone have any updated recommendations? I am not really too
> concerned with "speedy" tires, since I dont race but I'm looking for
> something that I could forget worrying about flats if I roll over a
> nice empty broken bottle of beer, a splattering of nails, Vietnam
> War-era punji sticks, ;-), well you know what I mean...thanks for your
> recommendations.
> -M

Well I have a set of Kendra Kwests'(??) on my commuter with about 3,000
miles on them with only one punture flat. They are not thin 700x35 and
they are not light. But they are punture resistant.

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/