Best puncture resistant tire?

N_laplaca

Aug 27, 2003
Just wondering what kind if luck people have had with their tires. I'm having a hell of a time with flats. I started out with Bontrager race lites which is what the bike came with.Got many flats. So I switched to Vredstein Fortezza. They seem to be even worse. I Got 2 flats just today.I have actually got very good at replacing tubes quickly.

I'm trying to figure out whcih tires to get. I have looked at so many. I'm torn between Michelin carbons and continental Gatorskins. Hutchinson looks like they have a tire that might also be worth checking out. I don't race. I weigh 170lbs. Nick

A girlfriend and I are sold on the Michelin Carbons for training. Another riding partner is sold on the Gatorskins.

The Carbons are ~40g lighter and better for climbing. I think they've got a little better road feel too. According to the other riding partner, the Gatorskins have a lower rolling resistance and better puncture protection. As we ride the same size bikes, I've actually ridden them but only for 30 miles or so. They felt like bricks to me but I guess they also wear better too.

I've only had two flats in 4000 miles on the Carbons. The girlfriend has yet to have her first after about 1000 miles. The other riding partner hasn't had a flat on the Gatorskins after somewhere between 1000 and 2000 miles. Either tire is a good choice but it sounds like you've got some extreme riding conditions so I wouldn't count on the same luck.

Thats pretty bad even on the dirty roads of New Jersey I don't have that kind of a problem. I think my best friend in solving my flat problem was to buy a good pump. I'm a big rider at 210 and 6'4" so proper inflation was key for me. If this is a constant thing check to see where you are getting flats. Look on the tube is it road side or wheel side. Put the tire on the rim the same way each time logo over the valve facing the drive side. This way you will eliminate any mechanical problems a bur in the rim. I sand out any rough spots carefully. I also like to put talc on my tubes before I use them. don't know if it helps but I get less flats than you. Inspect your tires after each flat to be sure nothing remains in the tire that may cause another flat. I have had bits of thorns stuck in my tires that caused me fits. As for tires Specialized Armadillo is virtually bullet proof. I use them on my commuter bike because it really can ruin your day when you get a flat on a cold and rainy night.

I've also had very good experience flat-wise with Michelin Carbons in the past; though the last pair I had seemed to show a lot of superficial surface cuts. And likewise I have friends that swear by the Conti Ultra-Gatorskins as well for puncture resistance. Continental supposedly makes a folding (Kevlar bead) version of the Gatorskins that drops the advertised weight slightly below that of the Michelins, but I have never seen anyone carrying anything but the wirebead version. (Of course every vendor seems to have a different opinion as to what the weight and pressure rating on the same tires are anyway :rolleyes: )

FWIW I also had really bad luck with flats and durability with Vredestein Tri-comp Fortezzas.

No flats with some Conti Grand Prix S's that came on a new ride I got recently, but they seem to be showing more noticeable treadwear (albeit very evenly) than I would like at about 700 miles.

I have been using Conti GP3000 and 1800km with no problems (on flats) on Sydney roads, but rear starting to wear quickly. Have used Gatorskins - no flats - lasted a long time.

Originally posted by N_laplaca
Just wondering what kind if luck people have had with their tires. I'm having a hell of a time with flats. I started out with Bontrager race lites which is what the bike came with.Got many flats. So I switched to Vredstein Fortezza. They seem to be even worse. I Got 2 flats just today.I have actually got very good at replacing tubes quickly.

I'm trying to figure out whcih tires to get. I have looked at so many. I'm torn between Michelin carbons and continental Gatorskins. Hutchinson looks like they have a tire that might also be worth checking out. I don't race. I weigh 170lbs. Nick

Seems like either you are riding on roads made of splintered glass... or perhaps you're not replacing the tyres properly? Replacing the tyre/tube badly will lead to pinch flats - you can tell a pinch flat by where the puncture is. If the puncture is off-centre, ie not on the bit that rolls on the road, then it's probably a pinch flat as a result of not fitting the tube properly.

I have Bontrager Racelite Hardcases which have not punctured in my first 600miles on some quite bad roads.

Have you thought about getting a set of mr. toughies or some kevlar liner? Last year I began commuting to work and the route that I had to ride was just ****. A lot of glass and road debris. After the first few flats I put a set of mr. toughies inside my conti GP 3000's and I rarely had anymore flats after that.

My second flat yesterday was a pinch flat. I think because the tire has a max of 160psi and there is no way I was getting that kind of pressure out of my road pump. So that one was probably my fault. Thanks for the the help. I think I am going to give the michelins a try. Nick

Originally posted by N_laplaca
Just wondering what kind if luck people have had with their tires. Nick

I hate, hate, hate flats. I used to buy the cheapest tires I could find, mail order. But I'd get flats all the time.

Now I highly recommend Veloflex Record Pave, Kevlar tires. I have over a thousand miles on this set, not a single flat, and plenty of tread wear left.

They ain't cheap though, $45 a pop.

I also highly recommend a product called Panaracer Flat Away. It's a ballistic kevlar strip, looks like felt. Same stuff they make bulletproof vests out of. Anyway, works on the same principle as a Mr Tuffy but much lighter, wraps around the tube more, and works great. I ran over a bunch of broken glass the other day, no problem.

Also keeping your tires up to 100 psi or more does wonders.

I used to get a flat every week with Schwalbe Marathons, I changed to the Marathon Plus and have not had a flat for 4 months. Don't know if they'll do them in the size you need though, but if you ask your dealer to speak to the Schwalbe rep they often do more sizes than you think.

Another vote for Specialized Armadillos. I have a pair on my road bike and have yet to flat with them. Not the lightest or most supple tires in the world but for training, commuting, etc. they're great.

N_laplaca said:

I'll vouch for Specialized Armadillos. I use them on my road bike (25C) and have used them on my Hybrid (38C) for commuting on the streets of Chicago. 1 flat over 3 summers of riding. I'm not a racer so I can't comment on how heavy/slow they are.

frico

frico said:
I'll vouch for Specialized Armadillos. I use them on my road bike (25C) and have used them on my Hybrid (38C) for commuting on the streets of Chicago. 1 flat over 3 summers of riding. I'm not a racer so I can't comment on how heavy/slow they are.

frico
Armadillos are about 100 grams heavier (23C) that the Conti Ultra Gators'

Hmmm how much of a weight weenie do i want to be?

N_laplaca said:

Continental Top Touring 2000's are nearly indestructible and the tread wears very slowly. I used them on my touring bike for three years with no flats (around 8000 mi.) over glass, potholes, metal, etc. They are a touring tire and have a little more rolling resistance than a narrower tire (narrowest available is 700C X 28) as they inflate to 80 psi max.

Continental Grand Prix 4-Seasons are also supposed to be flat-resistant but I have not been using them long enough yet to tell.