Best quality helmet to buy for cycling?

Excellent writeup, thank you for that! Really appreciate the time you put into it. Is there a way to account for massive fluffy curly hair with bike helmets or do I just gotta wing it?
I have massive curly hair...no wait that was dream, nevermind. Anyway, helmets don't do much for hair, but on top of that you're going to be probably sweating anyways so sweat will also mess with it, if you'll be going out after a ride then you'll need to shower anyways so wash your hair too. Again it's about the fit thing so make sure the helmet will fit your head with the massive curly hair thing going on.

Reactions: SkerleeWerg
I have massive curly hair...no wait that was dream, nevermind. Anyway, helmets don't do much for hair, but on top of that you're going to be probably sweating anyways so sweat will also mess with it, if you'll be going out after a ride then you'll need to shower anyways so wash your hair too. Again it's about the fit thing so make sure the helmet will fit your head with the massive curly hair thing going on.

It's less luxurious than you think, but it's still pretty luxurious. I get women telling me they want to buy my hair sometimes, as recently as today ho ho ho not bragging kinda bragging.

I think I have to just look for a helmet with a good ponytail, that would reduce most of the **** and as long as it's even slightly adjustable I should be good, thanks for that :D

Froze - unfortunately I have WRITTEN the statistical analysis of helmets. If you do not want to believe it that's perfectly OK with me. I couldn't care less what you do but advising people to never cycle without a helmet is the same as advising commercial airline passengers that seat belts will save their lives.

Froze - unfortunately I have WRITTEN the statistical analysis of helmets. If you do not want to believe it that's perfectly OK with me. I couldn't care less what you do but advising people to never cycle without a helmet is the same as advising commercial airline passengers that seat belts will save their lives.

Ok, great, now tell everyone not to wear their seatbelts while driving their cars too.

Helmets can save your life and can absorb contact, even if it may be a little bit. It could be life changing if a helmet could absorb at least around 10-15 miles an hour of contact. That could be a major difference between a 20 mph collision effect from a 5 mph one.

Reactions: cyclintom
My fox racing METAH Solids helmet
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
feels so protective with deeper coverage despite of no looking so bulky, plus is very comfortable. It has Big Bore vents everywhere that provide improved airflow and make it lighter than the usual helmet.

Excellent writeup, thank you for that! Really appreciate the time you put into it. Is there a way to account for massive fluffy curly hair with bike helmets or do I just gotta wing it?
Get a haircut. Just kidding, you can buy one of those under armour skull caps. Outside of that, I've seen plenty of people just wear the helmet with nothing.

You can't go wrong with Lazer helmets for cycling. My newest helmet is the Lazer Z1 MIPS. It's the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.

Firstly understand that helmets do absolutely nothing in a serious accident. What they do is keep your head from getting road rash in very minor accidents.

They are finally beginning to make round helmets again. Bell is making several models that are not "aero" which are actually more dangerous than not wearing a helmet at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Stoker-B...0840176&sr=8-27&keywords=bell+bicycle+helmets

is a good example of a helmet that will not jerk your head around in a minor fall and break your neck.

Bell are the people that invented "safety" helmets and they make as good a helmet as anyone.

Giro is also beginning to understand what is required and not simply what looks good.

http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Phase-Bi...0840343&sr=1-10&keywords=giro+bicycle+helmets
Thanks for the link. I would definitely check out this one.

I'm not familiar with the studies, or the technology involved, but MIPS helmets are reported to reduce the incidence of concussions. I don't own one. And I would agree that a standard helmet does little to protect against one.
I have heard about them. Thanks for referring them. I should check them out.

Just switched over to a Bell MIPS (got one for my wife, too, of course)
A side benefit of the technology is that the headband can conform to my skull with a better fit. My noggin is narrow but long front to back, so ordinary helmets are loose on the sides...very happy!

Helmets can save your life and can absorb contact, even if it may be a little bit. It could be life changing if a helmet could absorb at least around 10-15 miles an hour of contact. That could be a major difference between a 20 mph collision effect from a 5 mph one.
There may be this TINY speed at which helmets MAY make a difference. My concussion was caused by a fall of about 2 1/2 feet or a speed of only a couple of miles per hour. And I have to take medication for the rest of my life with some pretty nasty side effects. The neurologist could not say if it wouldn't have been better without a helmet. Since the skull was protected from breaking a concussion resulted. He said that the breaking of the skull could have prevented the concussion with relatively small harm though it sounds bad. The skull is designed to break at levels below which severe concussions occur.

What's more, hitting your head is unusual. In the last month and a half I've had TWO pretty horrendous crashes. One off-road from hitting a rain rut while holding onto the disk brake lever and literally rotating around the front wheel and falling about ten feet. The other while I was descending on a road and hitting a VERY hard bump in the road which broke the seam on my Colnago Star fork causing it to not steer properly and running along the side of a hill trying to drag my speed down from it's 35 mph using my body as a brake. I don't know how much I slowed the bike before dropping down 3' into a stone culvert. But it was fast enough that when I hit the end of the culvert it broke my Campy levers.

In neither case did my head hit though the cross bike falling on me put a just recognizable dent in the rear of one helmet.

Here's is a good explanation of helmets:

http://www.bellboycott.com/cached/www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/advocacy/mhls.htm

My study was of statistical results after 10 years of helmet use and showed no change in the numbers or seriousness of deaths or serious injuries. (http://www.vehicularcyclist.com/kunich.html)

And in real numbers - there is ONE bicycle injury per 4 million exposure miles. Many if not most of these injuries occurs in large cities and to younger cyclists that are breaking traffic laws. Now I too break the traffic laws but I generally do it in a way that leads to a SAFER ride and not one that is faster but less safe. For instance: If I approach a stop sign and a car is adjacent to me and pulling across the street I will not stop but go with him because the car will block other cars and is more easily seen. On country roads with no cars in sight I will ride through the inevitable stop sign out in the middle of nowhere because riding through at speed leaves you less exposure time in an intersection.

There have been several deaths in San Francisco lately and these are somewhat interesting if you can call a death interesting: the majority of these were caused by AUTOS breaking the vehicle code speeding and running stop lights. Often while trying to evade the police in stolen vehicles. In others riding from the sidewalk directly in front of right turning cars. Riding the wrong way and into cars leaving parking spots.

I just bought a Nutcase Metroride matte black from Greggs Greenlake Cycle for $80 and it's the most comfortable and coolest helmet I've ever had -- plus the greatest innovation of all time in bike helmets: magnetic buckle.

Firstly understand that helmets do absolutely nothing in a serious accident. What they do is keep your head from getting road rash in very minor accidents.

They are finally beginning to make round helmets again. Bell is making several models that are not "aero" which are actually more dangerous than not wearing a helmet at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Stoker-B...0840176&sr=8-27&keywords=bell+bicycle+helmets

is a good example of a helmet that will not jerk your head around in a minor fall and break your neck.

Bell are the people that invented "safety" helmets and they make as good a helmet as anyone.

Giro is also beginning to understand what is required and not simply what looks good.

http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Phase-Bi...0840343&sr=1-10&keywords=giro+bicycle+helmets
At high speed a helmet won't save you but it should not kill you either - so make sure it fits your head shape.

A helmet has almost no effect at all other than to protect your head from road rash. Not that that isn't a good thing since most crashes do not involved your head other than peripherally.

A helmet has almost no effect at all other than to protect your head from road rash. Not that that isn't a good thing since most crashes do not involved your head other than peripherally.

This is a broad statement, and contradicts my own experience when I wore an aero helmet and did a nose dive into pavement at something north of 40 mph. I was coming off of a decent and sat up to take a stretch and check to see how far back my wife, who wasn't keen on going too fast, was and then a sudden and big gust of wind hit me and my front wheel. All I remember was the "oh ****" moment seeing my wheel turn 90 degreea and then coming to surrounded by folks who dashed out from their homes to see if I was okay. Also I was pretty disoriented, asking my wife where we were when looking into downtown Seattle from Magnolia bluff. (That was when she said we're going to the ER.) Mild concussion and road rash. Also a helmet nearly in pieces. Better it than my head, which would have been sans the helmet.

I accept that one won't protect people in every situation but reject completely the notion that one, of any make or style, can do more harm than good. I've crashed more times than I can count. And worn nearly every style and make of helmet. And not once has the helmet created the slightest problem, much less broken my neck.

Look, the standard only provides for a 5 mph direct collision to prevent skull fracture. Now why don't you tell us how you hit a concrete wall at 40 mph and your helmet saved your life?