Best Race Saddle for male confort.

Jcyclist

Oct 14, 2006
Right now i ride a selle italia gel flow. Its a nice saddle, but comes to far out. I need a good race saddle that wont bother my croch.

Thanks

Don't expect Fizik Arione to be the dreamboat ride the reviews say - this is my third week with it and it's just another seat - albeit with a lot of slidding room.

Bigbananabike said:
Don't expect Fizik Arione to be the dreamboat ride the reviews say - this is my third week with it and it's just another seat - albeit with a lot of slidding room.
I really like my Arione on the road...but NOT on the trainer!! I dont know whats the deal with that, but I am starting to formulate theories. ONe is it doesnt have a lot of padding so for on the road with all the time spent in different positions, its fine, but on the trainer sweating for 45 minute tempo sessions seated in the same spot, well you get the idea. Its also a leather thats not as slippery as some other saddles so your shorts tend to stick to the saddle while indoors or when its raining as well and that leaves the chammy to try and move, but doesnt and chaffing results. Those are my theories. I do like how its wider and flatter on the nose so sliding forward hammering into headwinds doesnt cause immediate pain and numbness.

I have even lately entertained the idea of having another seat and seatpost set-up for the trainer, but I HATE swapping parts to ride the trainer!!! I dont use a trainer tire for that very reason. The local bike shop uses lasers to set-up my last two bikes so they can nail the height and set-back perfectly.

Jcyclist said:
Right now i ride a selle italia gel flow. Its a nice saddle, but comes to far out. I need a good race saddle that wont bother my croch.

Thanks

There's no way to answer that for you. Whatever saddle is the best is a highly personal thing. What works great for one person might be an ass-hatchet to you. If there was a universally wonderful saddle, everyone would be riding it.

Any LBS worth its salt will let you try different saddles out or will let you buy one and then return it if it doesn't work out.

By "comes too far out" do you mean the nose is too long? If that's what you feel, then it could be that your saddle angle is all wrong.

FWIW, finding a good saddle starts with having a good fit on your bike. Iffin' your body isn't positioned correctly on the bike, then finding the right saddle will be practically impossible.

FWIW....my latest saddle efforts: Selle Italia flite--ok, but not wonderful; Selle San Marco Era K--tolerable; Selle Italia SLR--ass hatchet; Fizik Arione--good for a while, but eventually realized it was too narrow; Fizik Aliante--wide enough, but the hammock shape didn't work for me; Specialized Toupe (143mm version)--just right w/ all day comfort. Wide like the Aliante but flat like the Arione.

alienator said:
By "comes too far out" do you mean the nose is too long? If that's what you feel, then it could be that your saddle angle is all wrong.

FWIW, finding a good saddle starts with having a good fit on your bike. Iffin' your body isn't positioned correctly on the bike, then finding the right saddle will be practically impossible.
I agree 100%. When I bought the Arione I fit it myself and started to suffer power issues on short steep rollers and generally just didnt feel right and started to question my overall fit. A trip to the LBS and I found out I misinterpreted where the widest part of saddle was, hence placed the saddle 1 full cm too far back. Luckily it was my theory that it was too far back. One ride with it where it was supposed to be and all was right with the world again. Understand I for one am very touchy about small chnages in fit.

Ray

Alienator-not to get personal, but was the feeling that the saddle was too narrow an aching in your inner thighs (wow-maybe this is better for PM) when you start to peddle hard, but goes way once very warmed up? Thats my only other new issue since going to the Arione.

rayhuang said:
Alienator-not to get personal, but was the feeling that the saddle was too narrow an aching in your inner thighs (wow-maybe this is better for PM) when you start to peddle hard, but goes way once very warmed up? Thats my only other new issue since going to the Arione.

Nope. The clue was that I was just too sore between my cheeks. The taint said, "That saddle.....'t'aint for me." Comfort on the Arione was limited to the first 1.5-2 hours.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Toupe to try. Sounds like what I want as well. I cannot ride the saddles that dip in the middle, are narrow on the nose or are comfy, but weigh 400 grams. I did notice I wasnt comfy on the Arione on several 3 hours rides as of late, but I attributed it to other things...maybe it was the saddle. Thanks for the ideas!!

Is there any such thing as a comfortable seat? i dont think so.

I ride an sdg belair and have had so many saddle sors that my **** is one big scar. Thats on mtb though so dont take any notice. im not a real cyclist!!!:eek:

Like the Alienator I have switched from Aliante to Toupe.

The lads liked the hammock on the Aliante, they both went to sleep.

I love my Selle Italia SLR XP, so it obviously didn't work for alienator, but I can spend 8+ hours on it comfortably.

I bought a Selle SLK, and returned it after one ride. A voice in my head kept saying "TWOBYFOUR,TWOBYFOUR,TWOBYFOUR". It was monumentally uncomfortable. I went back to my cheap-ass Performance saddle, that looks like !@#$%^, and will probably fall apart, but it's really comfy, and pretty light.

I swear by my Specialized Avatar. I used to suffer badly with my last saddle, a Giant that originally came with my OCR, but since moving to the Avatar last Christmas it's like riding on a cushion of air. The bike store did add a new seat post and moved the saddle way back from where it used to be so I think the combination of a better bike set up and the Avatar has made three hour rides bliss. Mind you, the old saddle was so bad maybe anything is an improvement.

My next saddle will be the Toupe. The Arione is only mildly comfortable. It isn't too narrow but there has been some numbness happening that just shouldn't, so the toupe may be a better option. In a race I found the Arione comfortable, but not for general riding.

Jcyclist said:
Right now i ride a selle italia gel flow. Its a nice saddle, but comes to far out.
Which "selle italia gel flow"?? There are about a dozen of them. A Flite?

I had been using a standard Selle italia flight titanium, but it was killing me on the trainer. I found an fizik Aliente on sale and decicded to givie it a try. It has been great, no more numbness, and so far I have only used it on trainer. I'm sure on the raod it will be even better.

I think the SelleSMP range deserves a mention. They did a study that was published in the Journal of Sexual medicine claiming great things.

The top end ones, like this, look superb and I can vouch for their comfort. Now I have no need to change, all my bikes have one from this range on them, even the turbo bike has a TRK...