Best races in US: who here has done em all?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jeff Potter, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Potter

Jeff Potter Guest

OK, some old farts maybe have done the Zinger/Coors Classic, but that's gone.

What are the best races in recent years in the US?

North America?

And has anyone here at RBR done them all? Or a bunch of them?

Here's my starter list:

Zinger/Coors Sommerville Altoona Super Week Sea Otter Athens Downer's Grove Iron Horse
    Killington RAAM (!)

OK, some of these are dead and I'm out of the loop so hopefully there are some great new ones. Like,
    isn't there a great new Colorado mt series stage race? Does it have any prizes? Well, I suppose
    there are different levels of greatness and we'll take what we can get. What about great Canadian
    events? Do they still have their Tour Laurent or whatever it was, or Tour Abitibi? Anything big
    World Cup event in Montreal or something?

Masters races at these events count, too!

Anyway, a local racer has done at least half of them which seems pretty cool to me, but he's not an
    RBR person.

I suppose Jason W has done a bunch of them.

--

Jeff Potter
    *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
    ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...new books featuring: XC ski
    culture, a Gulf Coast thriller folding bicycles ... with radical novels coming up! ...original
    downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums!
    HOLY SMOKES!

Tags:

2. "Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK, some old farts maybe have done the Zinger/Coors Classic, but that's gone.
    >
    > What are the best races in recent years in the US?
    >
    > North America?
    >
    > And has anyone here at RBR done them all? Or a bunch of them?
    >
    > Here's my starter list:
    >
    > Zinger/Coors Sommerville Altoona Super Week Sea Otter Athens Downer's Grove Iron Horse Killington
    > RAAM (!)
    >
    > OK, some of these are dead and I'm out of the loop so hopefully there are some great new ones.
    > Like, isn't there a great new Colorado mt series stage race? Does it have any prizes? Well, I
    > suppose there are different levels of greatness and we'll take what we can get. What about great
    > Canadian events? Do they still have their Tour Laurent or whatever it was, or Tour Abitibi?
    > Anything big World Cup event in Montreal or something?
    >
    > Masters races at these events count, too!

#1) FRAAM (!)
    #2) Any Masters Race

3. Voltaire

Voltaire Guest

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > North America?
    >
    > And has anyone here at RBR done them all? Or a bunch of them?
    >
    > Here's my starter list:
    >
    > Zinger/Coors Sommerville Altoona Super Week Sea Otter Athens Downer's Grove Iron Horse Killington
    > RAAM (!)
    >
    > OK, some of these are dead and I'm out of the loop so hopefully there are some great new ones.
    > Like, isn't there a great new Colorado mt series stage race? Does it have any prizes? Well, I
    > suppose there are different levels of greatness and we'll take what we can get. What about great
    > Canadian events? Do they still have their Tour Laurent or whatever it was, or Tour Abitibi?
    > Anything big World Cup event in Montreal or something?
    >
    > Masters races at these events count, too!
    >
    > Anyway, a local racer has done at least half of them which seems pretty cool to me, but he's not
    > an RBR person.
    >
    > I suppose Jason W has done a bunch of them.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jeff Potter
    > ****

Tour of the Gila in Silver City, NM seems to qualify for your list. It's a rather difficult five day
    stage race.

4. Fred Marx

Fred Marx Guest

>>Here's my starter list:
    >>
    >>Zinger/Coors Sommerville Altoona Super Week Sea Otter Athens Downer's Grove Iron Horse Killington
    >>RAAM (!)
    >

Casper Classic Mammoth Stage Race (I was there in the mid eighties when it was shut down cause of
    the Fire...)

5. Jeff Potter

Jeff Potter Guest

What about a list of "must do" races for US riders?

If someone is racing I'd say they should bust their butt to get to as many races on that list as
    possible, plus the others added to it by others. The suffering would be worth it. You won't likely
    be racing forever. And it hardly even matters how you do, just get yer butt to the best races.
    What's better: winning something local or being able to say you did races like those listed when yer
    an old fart?

--

Jeff Potter
    *Out Your Backdoor * http://www.outyourbackdoor.com for modern folkways and culture revival...
    ...offering "small world" views on bikes, bows, books, movies... ...new books featuring: XC ski
    culture, a Gulf Coast thriller folding bicycles ... with radical novels coming up! ...original
    downloadable music ... and articles galore! plus national "Off the Beaten Path" travel forums!
    HOLY SMOKES!

6. Ryan Barrett

Ryan Barrett Guest

haven't done every race in the country, but...

1 san fran 2 philly 3 cascade 4 redlands 5 downers grove

7. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Guest

Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >
    > North America?
    >

Tour de Donut

8. Jeff Potter

Jeff Potter Guest

Good list of "dids", Ryan!

And, yeah Bob, a great crowd atmosphere is the best.

I forgot Philly and Redlands in my list! Doh!

Bob Schwartz wrote:

> Ryan Barrett <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > haven't done every race in the country, but...
    >
    > > 1 san fran 2 philly 3 cascade 4 redlands 5 downers grove
    >
    > How many of those races let you sit on the course with a cooler full of beer, the way the Downer
    > Ave race during Superweek does? Philly?
    >
    > There is nothing better than to sit in comfort with a beer while you watch people experience pain.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz [email protected]
    >
    > Wishes they ran US cyclocross courses through the beer tent like they do in Belgium.

--

Jeff Potter
    HOLY SMOKES!

9. Jeff Potter

Jeff Potter Guest

Also:

Nevada City

--

Jeff Potter
    HOLY SMOKES!

10. Raptor

Raptor Guest

Jeff Potter wrote:
    > What about a list of "must do" races for US riders? What's better: winning something local or
    > being able to say you did races like those listed when yer an old fart?

Not really arguing with you here, but it depends on your goals. Though it would be neat to actually
    compete in a big race regardless of result, OTOH it comes down to paying more and travelling a lot
    just to suffer in a new way.

But OTOOH, that's kind of what bike racing is all about.

--
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

11. Tritonrider

Tritonrider Guest

>From: Jeff Potter [email protected]

>What are the best races in recent years in the US?
    >
    >North America?
    >
    >And has anyone here at RBR done them all? Or a bunch of them?
    >
    >Here's my starter list:
    >
    >Zinger/Coors Sommerville Altoona Super Week Sea Otter Athens Downer's Grove Iron Horse
    >Killington RAAM (!)
    >
    >OK, some of these are dead and I'm out of the loop so hopefully there are some great new ones.

Jeff, just got back from working Killingtons replacement. The "Green Mountain Stage Race" . It's a
    hell of a race if you like to suffer a lot. I was coming down Middlebury gap at 60mph on the motor
    and had to go looking for another hole to get into because there was a rider gaining on me and I
    couldn't be in his way. The last Km up Appalachian Gap is brutal after 60 miles. Great race.
    http://www.gmsr.info/ Bill C

12. "Jeff Potter" wrote:

<snip>

> I'm out of the loop

<snip>

I agree, strongly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.