Best Rain coat ever

gregkeller

Jul 22, 2003
I'm looking for the best rain coat ever. I want something that is a shell only, no insulation so i can wear it most of the year by varying insulation underneath. I would like something completely waterproof, not resistant, and i also don't believe all that much in "breathability" of fabric. That being said i would like a jacket with venting options to help regulate internal humidity. Something that is form fitting and bike specific would obviously be best. Price is secondary to performance. Any help is aprreciated.

Which model Gore did you go with, and what type of price, from the searching i've done the showers pass elite jacket or maybe the Gore Alp-X or Oxygen would be two good bets, i like the venting options on the Showers Pass, so might be leaning towards that one.

I have a model from last year, but is comparable with the AlpX.

Rode in mine yesterday, group ride 50miles, intermittant heavy downpours, temperature about 15c. Never got 'hot' but did sweat a lot!
Also commute in 3c and use as a windshell. Doesn't get any colder than that here:D
Will fold small enough,just, to fit in a jersey pocket.
Paid 160 GB pounds.
Worth every penny to me.

gregkeller said:
I'm looking for the best rain coat ever. I want something that is a shell only, no insulation so i can wear it most of the year by varying insulation underneath. I would like something completely waterproof, not resistant, and i also don't believe all that much in "breathability" of fabric. That being said i would like a jacket with venting options to help regulate internal humidity. Something that is form fitting and bike specific would obviously be best. Price is secondary to performance. Any help is aprreciated.
===========================================================
Groundeffect Stormtrooper. Brilliant:) . Many good features including a hood (when needed folds out) that fits under the helmet and is cut back for side vision.
Safe colours of orange(best, it's what I've got) and medium blue.
www.groundeffect.co.nz