Best Rain Gear?

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
On occasion I find myself riding home in the rain who makes the best head to toe rain gear?

wiredued said:
On occasion I find myself riding home in the rain who makes the best head to toe rain gear?
Best is a relative term. If money is no object, then a Goretex or similar suit, with gaiters or booties and waterproof gloves is probably the best choice. Expect to pay several hundred dollars for a set up like that.

I have a Kirkland Signature two-piece nylon rainsuit that I bought at Costco for 29.99. It works great for me, but although I ride in the rain many, many days during a typical year (such is life in the Pacific Northwest), I rarely ride in a downpour for more than an hour at a time. For me, expensive and extensive rain gear is a waste.

Thanks for the reply I'm not Donald Trump so I'm not looking for the most expensive and when I do buy the most expensive I'm ussually disapointed. I'm starting to look at gaiters at www.amazon.com instead of a suit because I find the most uncomfortable thing about riding in the rain seems to be wet filthy black road grime in my socks. Do you think that would work?

Ike90 said:
Best is a relative term. If money is no object, then a Goretex or similar suit, with gaiters or booties and waterproof gloves is probably the best choice. Expect to pay several hundred dollars for a set up like that.

I have a Kirkland Signature two-piece nylon rainsuit that I bought at Costco for 29.99. It works great for me, but although I ride in the rain many, many days during a typical year (such is life in the Pacific Northwest), I rarely ride in a downpour for more than an hour at a time. For me, expensive and extensive rain gear is a waste.

Those are a little goofy I like these you can get them in black the same color as road grime:) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...30-5328966?v=glance&s=sporting-goods&n=507846

Ike90 said:
You've got that right. I leave my work shoes at work, carry extra socks, and suffer on the way home. I've considered getting a pair of these (Campmor is an excellent vendor by the way)http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=10114&memberId=12500226
but yellow isn't my best color. :D

Speaking of cheap, in this weather (NYC) my gaiters are cut-off top sections of over-the-calf wool hiking socks. I just cuff the ragged edge and wear them up-side-down. Not only is this effective recycling, but they apparently look great; I've gotten several compliments on them from cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

wiredued said:
Thanks for the reply I'm not Donald Trump so I'm not looking for the most expensive and when I do buy the most expensive I'm ussually disapointed. I'm starting to look at gaiters at www.amazon.com instead of a suit because I find the most uncomfortable thing about riding in the rain seems to be wet filthy black road grime in my socks. Do you think that would work?

Road today with 1 inch of slush on the ground here in Massachusetts I'm glad I didn't choose to where my good jacket today tried construction boots today wow what a workout. Anyways that sounds like a good idea Snort and you're right you are cheap I'll see if I have a pair of socks big enough. Speaking of speaking of cheap I didn't get the helmet cover I use blue masking tape to cover the vent holes on my helmet.

Snortley said:
Speaking of cheap, in this weather (NYC) my gaiters are cut-off top sections of over-the-calf wool hiking socks. I just cuff the ragged edge and wear them up-side-down. Not only is this effective recycling, but they apparently look great; I've gotten several compliments on them from cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

Had a lot of joy from my Sealskinz extremities coverings this winter!

That's gloves and socks !

Very waterproof, comfy and, when the new just for cyclists lines are extended this year, I expect even greater things.

See the range at www.sealskinz.com

then check out bicyclerubber.com - we are going to start selling them at great prices sometime soon

Cheers,

bicyclerubber.com

All the rubber your bikes need !

Wow this one is a good one to know. The bicycle rubber site sounds good. Maybe I'll check that one out.

I do not have any rain gears when I go out cycling. I love getting soaked in the rain while riding my bike but only for a brief moment. I do not want to catch some flu in the process. I just want to have some fun in the rain.