best recumbent for transamerica?

mrscooterboy

Jun 11, 2005
What recumbent would you choose if you were going to ride across the US?

1) comfort - If you're in the saddle 6-8 hours per day for weeks on end, it is easy to develop neck pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, sore back, recumbent butt, and numb feet. All df's are ruled out, of course.

2) speed - a couple mph makes a big difference over the long haul. I'm not willing to sacrifice comfort, but trying to push a turtle across the country could make the trip long and discouraging. (to say nothing of being out of work for another week or two)

3) cost - I'd like to get a bike for $2000 or less, although I'd be willing to go a little higher if I were convinced that a certain bike would be the difference between having a great time and being miserable.

for the record, I have an unfaired Stratus - very comfortable but slow (in my opinion). I'm about 2 mph slower on the Stratus than on my cheap df - kind of disappointing.

Thanks for your input.
David

My opinion would gravitate toward an aggessive LWB like a GRR or V2. I have never even owned a LWB before as I perceive them as comfort oriented as opposed to speed; its low and fast for myself. But you wouldn't catch me touring on any of my low 'bents. During the few times that I have had the opportunity to ride distance on LWB, I have found that reclining the seat will alleviate my recumbutt.

I would have no problem with using my front faired V-Rex for such a mission. My Baron is faster and plenty comfy for trips and tours, but it can't carry stuff. The fairing would be a requirement, though. I like the weather protection it provides.

Gday Blazin, Dont you have a faired HP Velo SM as well?

Regards, Skymax.

I'd be interested to hear peoples views on this as I'm considering the same trip myself. KMX are about to bring out a road/touring version of their X-Class which should be interesting but through my own readings the 'Windcheetah' looks a good bet.