Best rider spring 2004

Kenny

Guest
now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us, who's the man
of the season so far?

1. Davide Rebellin
2. Tom Boonen
3. Michael Boogerd

[email protected] (Kenny) wrote:

>now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us, who's the man
>of the season so far?
>
>1. Davide Rebellin
>2. Tom Boonen
>3. Michael Boogerd

Boogerd won nothing, so he can't be there.
I'd say:
1. Rebellin
2. Boonen
3. Wesemann

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us, who's the man
> of the season so far?
>
> 1. Davide Rebellin
> 2. Tom Boonen
> 3. Michael Boogerd

The top two in that order. Not sure about Boogerd, as he hasn't actually won
a race this year. 2nd in Amstel, Liege and Brabantse Pijl ain't too bad, but
it's not the same as a win. Wesemann, Backstedt and Freire have all at least
won big races.

Jeff

Kenny wondered:
> who's the man of the season so far?

Manzano

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us, who's the man
> > of the season so far?
> >
> > 1. Davide Rebellin
> > 2. Tom Boonen
> > 3. Michael Boogerd

> The top two in that order. Not sure about Boogerd, as he hasn't actually won
> a race this year. 2nd in Amstel, Liege and Brabantse Pijl ain't too bad, but
> it's not the same as a win. Wesemann, Backstedt and Freire have all at least
> won big races.
>
> Jeff

yeah i know. but you have to admit he is really strong. And he
already riding at a high level since the E3 in Harelbeke or even
earlier. Freire and Backsted had two good days and that's about it.
Boogerd deserves better cause he has allways an attractive way of
racing. Pitty for him he's not a PVP-like finisher.

[email protected] (Kenny) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us, who's the man
> of the season so far?
>
> 1. Davide Rebellin
> 2. Tom Boonen
> 3. Michael Boogerd

Chris Horner

Davide Tosi wrote:
> [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
>
>> now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us, who's the
>> man of the season so far?
>>
>> 1. Davide Rebellin
>> 2. Tom Boonen
>> 3. Michael Boogerd

> Boogerd won nothing, so he can't be there.
> I'd say:
> 1. Rebellin
> 2. Boonen
> 3. Wesemann

4. George!

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> yeah i know. but you have to admit he is really strong. And he
> already riding at a high level since the E3 in Harelbeke or even
> earlier. Freire and Backsted had two good days and that's about it.
> Boogerd deserves better cause he has allways an attractive way of
> racing. Pitty for him he's not a PVP-like finisher.

I admit he's really strong, and he's always there in the finale. He
definitely scores points for consistency and aggressiveness. I'd put Freire
in front of him though, based on results.

If we were considering non-classics riders I'd probably give Armstrong a
mention too (say in fourth place).

Jeff

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:38:50 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
> If we were considering non-classics riders I'd probably give Armstrong
> a mention too (say in fourth place).

What, before Jaksche and Valverde?

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:38:50 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
> > If we were considering non-classics riders I'd probably give Armstrong
> > a mention too (say in fourth place).

> What, before Jaksche and Valverde?

And Bettini, Zabel, Voigt, Menchov, Boogerd, Julich. I'd put them all in
fourth place :). Actually looking at the top 100 riders of 2004, Armstrong
is 32nd so he probably shouldn't rate very highly in this poll, despite
winning a bunch sprint. Shows how important recent results are!

I'm also pretty impressed with Jens Voigt, who I'd always considered a
strong rider but definitely not a climber, beating Armstrong to the top of
Brasstown Bald on Saturday.

Jeff

Jeff Jones wrote:

> "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:38:50 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
>>
>>>If we were considering non-classics riders I'd probably give Armstrong
>>>a mention too (say in fourth place).

>>What, before Jaksche and Valverde?

> And Bettini, Zabel, Voigt, Menchov, Boogerd, Julich. I'd put them all in
> fourth place :). Actually looking at the top 100 riders of 2004, Armstrong
> is 32nd so he probably shouldn't rate very highly in this poll, despite
> winning a bunch sprint. Shows how important recent results are!
>
> I'm also pretty impressed with Jens Voigt, who I'd always considered a
> strong rider but definitely not a climber, beating Armstrong to the top of
> Brasstown Bald on Saturday.

Makes you wonder what Riis will make of that, huh?

Jeff Jones <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote:
> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > 1. Davide Rebellin
> > 2. Tom Boonen
> > 3. Michael Boogerd

> The top two in that order. Not sure about Boogerd, as he hasn't actually won
> a race this year. 2nd in Amstel, Liege and Brabantse Pijl ain't too bad, but
> it's not the same as a win. Wesemann, Backstedt and Freire have all at least
> won big races.

Boogerd for best domestique. I hope Rebellin at least
sends him a nice Christmas card.

Dekker for Most Disappointed Guy in the World (but too
classy to say it).

Kenny wrote:

> now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us, who's the man
> of the season so far?
>
> 1. Davide Rebellin
> 2. Tom Boonen
> 3. Michael Boogerd

4. Phillip Thuaux

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> If we were considering non-classics riders I'd probably give Armstrong a
> mention too (say in fourth place).
>
> Jeff

Huh?? what for? two 2.3 wins and that's it. Which is of course
great in comparison to Ullrich, but in comparison to others that
doesn't mean much.

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<408dc7ab$1@darkstar>...

> Dekker for Most Disappointed Guy in the World (but too
> classy to say it).

??? Come on, the guy came back from nowhere. He attacked on the
cipressa and finished top-10 in Flanders, Gold Race and LBL. Now
that's means much more than winning the tour of Georgia.

"Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> > If we were considering non-classics riders I'd probably give Armstrong a
> > mention too (say in fourth place).
> >
> > Jeff

> Huh?? what for? two 2.3 wins and that's it. Which is of course
> great in comparison to Ullrich, but in comparison to others that
> doesn't mean much.

I agree (see other post). But you gotta admit he gets bonus points for
winning a bunch sprint :)

Jeff

In article <[email protected]>,
"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote:

> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > > If we were considering non-classics riders I'd probably give Armstrong a
> > > mention too (say in fourth place).
> > >
> > > Jeff

> > Huh?? what for? two 2.3 wins and that's it. Which is of course
> > great in comparison to Ullrich, but in comparison to others that
> > doesn't mean much.

> I agree (see other post). But you gotta admit he gets bonus points for
> winning a bunch sprint :)
>
> Jeff

With a pretty good bike throw, too. Looked like he'd been doing that one
for years (heh).

--
tanx,
Howard

Q: Can we call it a quagmire yet?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Kenny <[email protected]> wrote:
> Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<408dc7ab$1@darkstar>...

> > Dekker for Most Disappointed Guy in the World (but too
> > classy to say it).

> ??? Come on, the guy came back from nowhere. He attacked on the
> cipressa and finished top-10 in Flanders, Gold Race and LBL. Now
> that's means much more than winning the tour of Georgia.

I mean, this is no slam on Dekker. Three times he was the strong
guy in the second group (okay, third group in Amstel), but in
Flanders the other guys had teammates up the road and wouldn't work,
and in Amstel and LBL, his teammate was up the road and made a
botch of it. I have to think that if Erik had had just a bit
more to get into the first selection, that he would have taken
out one of those races.

On 26 Apr 2004 19:38:35 -0800, Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> Dekker for Most Disappointed Guy in the World (but too
> classy to say it).

There was some controversy in the papers, but on his website Dekker
refuted any possible bad feelings between him and Boogerd. Quote: "It's
all still a game." Sorry, too lazy (or busy actually) to translate all.

Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<408dfdce$1@darkstar>...
> Kenny <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Benjamin Weiner <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<408dc7ab$1@darkstar>...

> > > Dekker for Most Disappointed Guy in the World (but too
> > > classy to say it).

> > ??? Come on, the guy came back from nowhere. He attacked on the
> > cipressa and finished top-10 in Flanders, Gold Race and LBL. Now
> > that's means much more than winning the tour of Georgia.

> I mean, this is no slam on Dekker. Three times he was the strong
> guy in the second group (okay, third group in Amstel), but in
> Flanders the other guys had teammates up the road and wouldn't work,
> and in Amstel and LBL, his teammate was up the road and made a
> botch of it. I have to think that if Erik had had just a bit
> more to get into the first selection, that he would have taken
> out one of those races.

Dekker is going to get what's coming to him. I bet two tablespoonfuls
of Vegemite that he wins one of those first three Liegesque stages in
the Tour this year, and earns the yellow jersey in the process.