Best rider spring 2004

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 26 Apr 2004 19:38:35 -0800, Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> > Dekker for Most Disappointed Guy in the World (but too
> > classy to say it).
>
> There was some controversy in the papers, but on his
> website Dekker refuted any possible bad feelings between
> him and Boogerd. Quote: "It's all still a game." Sorry,
> too lazy (or busy actually) to translate all.

you've got to like de heer Dekker. He doesn't whine and he
doesn't make excuses, unlike Boogey.

"Jeff Jones" <jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Kenny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us,
> > who's the man of the season so far?
> >
> > 1. Davide Rebellin
> > 2. Tom Boonen
> > 3. Michael Boogerd
>
> The top two in that order. Not sure about Boogerd, as he
> hasn't actually
won
> a race this year. 2nd in Amstel, Liege and Brabantse Pijl
> ain't too bad,
but
> it's not the same as a win. Wesemann, Backstedt and Freire
> have all at
least
> won big races.
>
> Jeff

I would have put Wesemann ahead of Boonen. In addition to
his big win, He did hold the WC jersey for a few races.

-T

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Kenny) wrote:

> now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us,
> who's the man of the season so far?
>
> 1. Davide Rebellin
> 2. Tom Boonen
> 3. Michael Boogerd

Taking an unbiased approach, based on number/quality of
victories and strong placings:

1. Davide Rebellin
2. Alejandro Valverde
3. Alessandro Petacchi
4. Jorg Jaksche
5. Erik Zabel ...
6. Lance Armstrong ...
7. Michael Boogerd ... 15342. Santiago Botero

-Sonarrat.

Sonarrat wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
>

>>now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us,
>>who's the man of the season so far?
>>
>>1. Davide Rebellin
>>2. Tom Boonen
>>3. Michael Boogerd
>

> Taking an unbiased approach, based on number/quality of
> victories and strong placings:
>
> 1. Davide Rebellin
> 2. Alejandro Valverde
> 3. Alessandro Petacchi
> 4. Jorg Jaksche
> 5. Erik Zabel ...
> 8. Lance Armstrong ...
> 10. Michael Boogerd ... 15342. Santiago Botero
>
> -Sonarrat.

Oh come on, Botero at 15342? There aren't that many pros
known to the UCI, are there? Besides, has he raced this
spring? If T-mobile makes him train seriously I expect to
see quite the contender. The only question in my mind is ...
well ... he was erratic _and_ on Kelme. I wonder who shows
up this year, Mr. Jekyll or Dr. Hyde.

In article <[email protected]>,
Richard Adams <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sonarrat wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
> >

> >>now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us,
> >>who's the man of the season so far?
> >>
> >>1. Davide Rebellin
> >>2. Tom Boonen
> >>3. Michael Boogerd
> >

> > Taking an unbiased approach, based on number/quality of
> > victories and strong placings:
> >
> > 1. Davide Rebellin
> > 2. Alejandro Valverde
> > 3. Alessandro Petacchi
> > 4. Jorg Jaksche
> > 5. Erik Zabel ...
> > 8. Lance Armstrong ...
> > 10. Michael Boogerd ... 15342. Santiago Botero
>
> Oh come on, Botero at 15342? There aren't that many
> pros known to the UCI, are there? Besides, has he raced
> this spring?

Yes, but you wouldn't know it, would you? He was at
Communidad Valenciana in late February, where he gave a fair
performance for 4 days, then lost 11:35 on the final flat
stage. He went on to give a listless performance in Paris-
Nice; after Stage 5 he was 140th out of 148, and he dropped
out the next day.

> If T-mobile makes him train seriously I expect to see
> quite the contender. The only question in my mind is ...
> well ... he was erratic _and_ on Kelme. I wonder who shows
> up this year, Mr. Jekyll or Dr. Hyde.

His morale seems to be gone, and he hasn't shown any signs
of life since joining Telekom... he certainly was not like
this on the way to taking 4th place in the Tour less than
two years ago. If he's going to have any credibility and
team support coming into the Tour, he'll need to assert his
superiority in no uncertain terms, and fast.

-Sonarrat.

Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
>
> > now the first (classic) part of the season is behind us,
> > who's the man of the season so far?
> >
> > 1. Davide Rebellin
> > 2. Tom Boonen
> > 3. Michael Boogerd
>
> Taking an unbiased approach, based on number/quality of
> victories and strong placings:
>
> 1. Davide Rebellin
> 2. Alejandro Valverde
> 3. Alessandro Petacchi
> 4. Jorg Jaksche
> 5. Erik Zabel ...
> 8. Lance Armstrong ...
> 10. Michael Boogerd ... 15342. Santiago Botero
>
> -Sonarrat.

and where is Tom Boonen?

[email protected] (Kenny) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<sonarrat-
> [email protected]>...
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
> >
> > > now the first (classic) part of the season is behind
> > > us, who's the man of the season so far?
> > >
> > > 1. Davide Rebellin
> > > 2. Tom Boonen
> > > 3. Michael Boogerd
> >
> > Taking an unbiased approach, based on number/quality of
> > victories and strong placings:
> >
> > 1. Davide Rebellin
> > 2. Alejandro Valverde
> > 3. Alessandro Petacchi
> > 4. Jorg Jaksche
> > 5. Erik Zabel ...
> > 8. Lance Armstrong ...
> > 10. Michael Boogerd ... 15342. Santiago Botero
> >
> > -Sonarrat.
>
> and where is Tom Boonen?

Or Max van Heeswijk, for that matter. 1st 2 stages Ruta del
Sol 1st 2 stages Murcia 1st Nokere Koerse 5th Milan-San Remo

Bummer about that smash-up at P-R

"Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jeff Jones wrote:
>
> > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>What, before Jaksche and Valverde?
> >

> > And Bettini, Zabel, Voigt, Menchov, Boogerd, Julich. I'd
> > put them all in fourth place :). Actually looking at
> > the top 100 riders of 2004,
Armstrong
> > is 32nd so he probably shouldn't rate very highly in
> > this poll, despite winning a bunch sprint. Shows how
> > important recent results are!
> >
> > I'm also pretty impressed with Jens Voigt, who I'd
> > always considered a strong rider but definitely not a
> > climber, beating Armstrong to the top
of
> > Brasstown Bald on Saturday.
>
> Makes you wonder what Riis will make of that, huh?

Probably not a lot. How may hors catagory climbs were there
before Bald Mountain?