Best rim tape/strip for a Brommie?

Duncan Smith

Guest
Anyone else have several spoke induced punctures with their
Bromptons? I got rid of the flimsy blue rim strip that it came with
and got some unbranded semi sticky cloth stuff from the LBS - maybe
the wider velox tape would be the best bet, it's quite a deep well -
and the finish on the spoke ends are pretty vicious.

Apart from that, the design is fantastic - even the wife has taken to
it and we managed a ~25M ride today with some parts on the road
(something I thought she'd never go for)

Regards,

Duncan

In article <0052e6d7-8c4a-40d7-aa97-
[email protected]>, Duncan Smith
[email protected] says...
> Anyone else have several spoke induced punctures with their
> Bromptons? I got rid of the flimsy blue rim strip that it came with
> and got some unbranded semi sticky cloth stuff from the LBS - maybe
> the wider velox tape would be the best bet, it's quite a deep well -
> and the finish on the spoke ends are pretty vicious.

I'm not familiar with your rims but the spoke ends should be smooth and
flush with the top of the nipple (or ideally flush with the slot). IME
Velox is the only rim tape worth considering in most applications, it
only needs to cover the nipples and sit flush with the well of the rim,
so you probably don't need a wide tape - those are to fill box-section
rims where the tape needs to prevent the tube getting into the inner
spoke holes.

Duncan Smith wrote:
> Anyone else have several spoke induced punctures with their
> Bromptons? I got rid of the flimsy blue rim strip that it came with
> and got some unbranded semi sticky cloth stuff from the LBS - maybe
> the wider velox tape would be the best bet, it's quite a deep well -
> and the finish on the spoke ends are pretty vicious.
>
> Apart from that, the design is fantastic - even the wife has taken to
> it and we managed a ~25M ride today with some parts on the road
> (something I thought she'd never go for)
>
> Regards,
>
> Duncan

I removed the awful blue plasticky stuff and replaced it with Velox (
can't remember the width off hand ).

Mike Dyason sells it if you don't have a ready local source.

Sam Salt