Best road bike for short women?

Sherlock08

Nov 11, 2011
Hi, I am looking to purchase my first adult road bike. I am a woman, 5'0'' (short legs, 28" inseam) and fit. My boyfriend has a Cannondale and loves to cycle, and it would be great if I can go with him on his rides. I am comfortable on a bike, but have never had a real road bike. Since I'm a beginner, I don't want to spend more than $500. Does anything like this exist? I have heard that I should look for a used bike, but because I'm so short, I'm not sure I'll be able to find one in my area. Thanks for any advice!

Originally Posted by Sherlock08 .

Hi, I am looking to purchase my first adult road bike. I am a woman, 5'0'' (short legs, 28" inseam) and fit. My boyfriend has a Cannondale and loves to cycle, and it would be great if I can go with him on his rides. I am comfortable on a bike, but have never had a real road bike. Since I'm a beginner, I don't want to spend more than $500. Does anything like this exist? I have heard that I should look for a used bike, but because I'm so short, I'm not sure I'll be able to find one in my area. Thanks for any advice!
Giant do a decent range of ladies bikes, check them out here http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bike-finder/women/onroad/?level=performance

there are bikes for every size, but your budget is not too good. Yet, i think there might be some entry level new bikes in big retailer stores for example, they use to carry more budget minded bikes than cycling only stores, and yes there is also ebay, so good luck

Watch for used WSD ( Women Specific Design ) bikes. Several major bike brands make those types of bikes now. You might want to visit the bike shops in your area and see if they have any used WSD bikes in your size, and also to let them know what you are looking for.

A lot of bike shops will take your contact info and let you know if someone trades in a bike that is what you are looking for.

You can get a pretty nice used bike for $500, providing you can find something you like that fits you properly.

Don't settle for a bike that almost fits you; make sure you buy the right size.

Be patient and have fun shopping. At the very least, you'll get to test ride some bikes when you visit the shops and find out what size you need, and what brands you like the best.

At 5'0" you'll probably be looking for a bike with a frame in the 46-48 cm range with women's (WSD) proportions and adaptations. The frame will generally have a shorter top tube and possibly a longer head tube. Adaptations will be a women's saddle, narrower (38-40 cm) short-reach, short drop handlebars, and shorter cranks (165-170 mm).

There's an outside chance you may need an even smaller frame, and these are available with smaller 650c wheels.

All of the major brands--Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Felt, Scott, etc.--make entry level bikes for small women, but prices for the new ones start in the $650-700 range. As 64Paramount said, getting a good fit is, uh, paramount.