Best Road bike for the money

TheFerrinator

Nov 4, 2006
$1000 or under. One for me and the wife. The bike store near me suggested the 2007 Specialized Allez Elite Triple list price $1100 or the Felt F75 Aluminum/Carbon Road Bike, 2006, listed @ $1400. Both bikes are on sale for $999. Any opinions on these bikes or other models in this price range? Thanks.

Both are good bikes, but if both are priced identically, then the Felt is the better buy - provided you're OK with a double vs. a triple.

The Felt is 18.4 lbs, which is lighter than the Allez, and includes carbon stays, that the Specialized doesn't have. It also has a combo Ultegra/105 component set, where (I think) the Allez has a Tiagra/105 mix. The Felt also has a Shimano 500 wheelset - better than the stock Allez Elite......

As noted the wheels are better on the Felt.

One thing is your location. Lots of big hills or long climbs in the area? You might prefer the triple.

TheFerrinator said:
$1000 or under. One for me and the wife. The bike store near me suggested the 2007 Specialized Allez Elite Triple list price $1100 or the Felt F75 Aluminum/Carbon Road Bike, 2006, listed @ $1400. Both bikes are on sale for $999. Any opinions on these bikes or other models in this price range? Thanks.

The other big difference between the two is the frame geometry. Be sure to ride both bikes before you decide. Fit and comfort with the position is an individualized thing. If you are comfortable on the Felt, then I would agree it is the better bike, but many people will prefer the feel of the Allez. To me, the difference in the fit and comfort would be the deciding factor. A bike with lesser wheels and components that fits you well is far superior to a bike with better wheels and components that does not fit.

If you've never ridden a road bike how would you know if its comfortable or the right fit? The salesman at the store told my wife that she should be on a mens bike because she is too tall for the womens designs. We are used to riding mountain bikes so any road bike would feel uncomfortable.

The main difference between men's and women's frames is the relationship between stand-over height (or seat tube length) and effective top tube length (the distance between the top of the seat tube and the top of the head tube). Women typically have longer legs and arms and a shorter torso for their height than men do; therefore, women's frames have a shorter effective top tube length for the same seat tube length compared to men's frames. Not all men fit best on a men's frame, and not all women fit best on a woman's frame. Two of my adult daughters ride a men's frame, and my other daughter and my wife ride a women's frame.

An experienced bicycle fitter should be able to help you determine which is the best fit for you based on your body proportions, flexibility, physical conditioning, and cycling goals. When I bought my road bike, I was coming from a hybrid (Specialized Crossroads). One of the fitters at my LBS spend about four hours working with me to determine the best bike and the best setup of that bike before I bought. Going in, I was considering the Specalized Sequoia, Roubaix, Allez, and Tarmac; the Trek Pilot, 5000, and Madone; and the Felt f5c.

At the time, I was 54 years old, 200 pounds, 6'0", short arms (33" sleeve) and legs (30" inseam) and limited flexibility due to spinal stenosis. My goals were to ride long distances (75 to 100 miles) at a moderate pace. I have no intention of racing, but I did want to be comfortable over long distances.

With the help of the fitter, I quickly dropped the Allez, Tarmac, Pilot, 5000, Madone, and Felt from my list (the same shop carries all of these bikes, BTW, so there was no bias on the part of the fitter). After spending some time on the trainer making adjustments to the remaining bikes on my list and after a few test rides on the road of about 3 to 5 miles each on the Pilot and Roubaix, I decided on the Specalized Roubaix Elite. Three weeks later, I road that bike 75 miles per day on two consecutive days without any discomfort. I averaged 17 mph on the first day and 15.2 mph on the second day, which was well within my expectations.

As far as the fit is concerned, what you need to look for is the distribution of your weight among your feet, hands, and butt; the position of your knees in relationship to the pedal axis; the extension of your leg when the pedal is in the downward most position; whether your sit bones are positioned on the proper part of the saddle; and the position of your back when your hands are on the hoods. Again, an experienced fitter will be able to help you sort this out. In my case, he had to replace the stock stem with a shorter one so that my reach was comfortable.
I do not agree with your statement "We are used to riding mountain bikes so any road bike would feel uncomfortable". A properly fit road bike will feel different than a mountain bike, but a road bike should not be uncomfortable. If it is uncomfortable, and if there is no one in the store that is willing (or has the knowledge) to take the time to find a bike that fits you properly, then find another LBS.

QUOTE=RickF
RickF said:
The main difference between men's and women's frames is the relationship between stand-over height (or seat tube length) and effective top tube length (the distance between the top of the seat tube and the top of the head tube). Women typically have longer legs and arms and a shorter torso for their height than men do; therefore, women's frames have a shorter effective top tube length for the same seat tube length compared to men's frames. Not all men fit best on a men's frame, and not all women fit best on a woman's frame. Two of my adult daughters ride a men's frame, and my other daughter and my wife ride a women's frame.

An experienced bicycle fitter should be able to help you determine which is the best fit for you based on your body proportions, flexibility, physical conditioning, and cycling goals. When I bought my road bike, I was coming from a hybrid (Specialized Crossroads). One of the fitters at my LBS spend about four hours working with me to determine the best bike and the best setup of that bike before I bought. Going in, I was considering the Specalized Sequoia, Roubaix, Allez, and Tarmac; the Trek Pilot, 5000, and Madone; and the Felt f5c.

At the time, I was 54 years old, 200 pounds, 6'0", short arms (33" sleeve) and legs (30" inseam) and limited flexibility due to spinal stenosis. My goals were to ride long distances (75 to 100 miles) at a moderate pace. I have no intention of racing, but I did want to be comfortable over long distances.

With the help of the fitter, I quickly dropped the Allez, Tarmac, Pilot, 5000, Madone, and Felt from my list (the same shop carries all of these bikes, BTW, so there was no bias on the part of the fitter). After spending some time on the trainer making adjustments to the remaining bikes on my list and after a few test rides on the road of about 3 to 5 miles each on the Pilot and Roubaix, I decided on the Specalized Roubaix Elite. Three weeks later, I road that bike 75 miles per day on two consecutive days without any discomfort. I averaged 17 mph on the first day and 15.2 mph on the second day, which was well within my expectations.

As far as the fit is concerned, what you need to look for is the distribution of your weight among your feet, hands, and butt; the position of your knees in relationship to the pedal axis; the extension of your leg when the pedal is in the downward most position; whether your sit bones are positioned on the proper part of the saddle; and the position of your back when your hands are on the hoods. Again, an experienced fitter will be able to help you sort this out. In my case, he had to replace the stock stem with a shorter one so that my reach was comfortable.
I do not agree with your statement "We are used to riding mountain bikes so any road bike would feel uncomfortable". A properly fit road bike will feel different than a mountain bike, but a road bike should not be uncomfortable. If it is uncomfortable, and if there is no one in the store that is willing (or has the knowledge) to take the time to find a bike that fits you properly, then find another LBS.

Just wanted to agree with Rick. If the guy in the shop told you your wife was too tall for a women's bike then it indicates to me that he doesn't know how to fit a bicycle properly. Its not your height that comes into play with women's designs, but rather your body proportions. Many (but not all!) women have shorter torsos and arms compared to their legs. Some women's bikes are designed with this in mind - others are painted pink and have a women's logo slapped on them, but that is a different story. The thing is if you have a top tube that is too long you will be uncomfortable - it can make your neck and shoulders hurt and your hands go numb, and it can rob you of much of your power too. Have someone reputable who will look at much more than just your height to determine what bicycle you need to be on. Don't let yourself be talked into an uncomfortable bike just because someone tells you its your size. My last bike purchase the guy tried to get me to buy one size up - even though I have experience with a bike that was too big and patiently tried to explain that I KNOW, not think, that I need the smaller size.

ImageBrandItem NameVariationsPriceQtyTotal CannondaleCAAD8 Optimo 2
pedestrian.gif

Patriot Blue, 63cm$1,099.99 $2,199.98 SpecializedAllez Elite Triple
pedestrian.gif

White/Red, 61cm$1,099.99 $1,099.99 Trek1500
pedestrian.gif

Discovery Blue/Bright Silver, 63cm$1,109.99 $1,109.99
I rode the Cannondale and the Specailized today. I think the Specialized was a 63 cm too. Any more opinions?

Any more opinions?
TheFerrinator said:
ImageBrandItem NameVariationsPriceQtyTotal CannondaleCAAD8 Optimo 2
pedestrian.gif

Patriot Blue, 63cm$1,099.99 $2,199.98 SpecializedAllez Elite Triple
pedestrian.gif

White/Red, 61cm$1,099.99 $1,099.99 Trek1500
pedestrian.gif

Discovery Blue/Bright Silver, 63cm$1,109.99 $1,109.99
I rode the Cannondale and the Specailized today. I think the Specialized was a 63 cm too. Any more opinions?

TheFerrinator said:
What's up with a compact frame design?
I do not understand the question. The compact frame is different. It is not necessarily better, and it is not necessarily worse - it is just different. If you are like me, and have short legs for your height, the compact frame has the advantage of having a longer effective top tube length for the same stand-over height, but if you do not need the lower top tube, there is no disadvantage to the compact frame. Buy what fits and what is comfortable to you.

TheFerrinator said:
I picked the Trek 1500. Any feedback?
Great choice. I ended up with a 1000, since I really couldn't justify the extra $300 to the wife ... I've loved mine, and the 1500 has better compontentry. Biggest thing -- get out and ride!

$950 each, 1 for me and one for the wife. Picking them up a couple of days before Christmas. I'm hoping for a warm winter.

goaliedad30 said:
Great choice. I ended up with a 1000, since I really couldn't justify the extra $300 to the wife ... I've loved mine, and the 1500 has better compontentry. Biggest thing -- get out and ride!

As long as there is no ice on the road, get some winter cycling clothes and ride.

RickF said:
As long as there is no ice on the road, get some winter cycling clothes and ride.
yeah my rule is 20 degrees (f) and sunny or 36 degrees rainy(f) snow is a go! anything colder than that my muscles start locking up and i've got clothes for the weather. Rick i'm looking for a Treck Pilot 1.2 wsd for my girlfriend, have you seen any in your area? I live in Boone, NC and noticed that your in Cary. i've looked around in Charlotte just briefly but did not see any. Thanks.

mcr2c384 said:
yeah my rule is 20 degrees (f) and sunny or 36 degrees rainy(f) snow is a go! anything colder than that my muscles start locking up and i've got clothes for the weather. Rick i'm looking for a Treck Pilot 1.2 wsd for my girlfriend, have you seen any in your area? I live in Boone, NC and noticed that your in Cary. i've looked around in Charlotte just briefly but did not see any. Thanks.
I just got (what I think is ) the best road bike for the money....I found an '05 Giant OCR C2 composite on eBay - brand new, in the box, never been ridden. Ultegra 30-spd drivetrain. $1200 including shipping.

I still have to raise the stem a bit, and adjust the handlebars, but the shifting and brakes were good right out of the box. Still need to pick up a decent computer, 2 water bottle cages and a small seat pack, but she's basically ready to go. It's a LOT faster than my Trek 7300, which (with its new fenders, rack and a light kit) is my official bad weather/commuter bike.
Giant%20Start.jpg

Giant%20Step%203.jpg

Giant%20Final.jpg