best road bike for tri's.

miater

Nov 9, 2003
ok i love road riding , especially in a group. but not fond of the idea of having 2 good bikes, one for tris and one for roads.

i tested a giant tcr 1 composite the other day gosh i can't imagine this not being fast enough for a mid-pack age grouper like me.

does anyone really get comfortble with aero bars on a road bike?

anyone out there that does tris on a road bike chime on in......

A VERY GOOD QUESTION!
I am actually in the same predicament at the time being. I just started to ride this year. I purchased an inexpensive Schwinn Super Sport GLX on EBAY One of my running partners insisted that I compete in a tri with him. I did my first one a few weeks ago and I am hooked! I am an average rider with little experience. A guy I know is willing to sell me his Tri bike a Giant TCR AERO 1 (1 year old all Ultegra comp. nice bike in perfect condition) for $1300.00 (also I might add to me this is a lot of money with two young kids and a wife that LOVES to shop). I took it for a spin and I like my Scwinn MUCH better. I don’t know if it is because the aero bars and seat post. I am also wondering if I could just add horns to my road bike and have the best of both worlds. Any input greatly appreciated!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by miater
ok i love road riding , especially in a group. but not fond of the idea of having 2 good bikes, one for tris and one for roads.

i tested a giant tcr 1 composite the other day gosh i can't imagine this not being fast enough for a mid-pack age grouper like me.

does anyone really get comfortble with aero bars on a road bike?

anyone out there that does tris on a road bike chime on in......

If you see the numbers of aero bars I have laying around at home, you would understand that I tried doing TT on my road bike long before :) .... quite a few times.

I have also seen lots of people with an aerobar on their road bikes but I suspect most of these are folks who just started out cycling and wanted to try it.... only to find out later that TT posistion setup can be quite tricky. And the operative word here is COMFORT.
They often think that TT position are more comfortable. Well, I'm not sure about that but I'm sure you CAN get setup where you can achieve a certain amount of comfort on long rides.

The answer to this is...actually up to you. It depends on how flexible you are. The main issue is the reach of the top tube. If you can get comfortable then your road bike will do fine. TT bike has shorter top tube and more aggressive seat angle but pros today sometimes prefer to do similar setup on their road bike.

Another important thing is to make sure that you have an aerobar that REALLY fits you. Or just get one that is length adjustable (profile?). Otherwise you'll be too strecthed and/or not having much control of your bike. Look at the Syntace and how they measure the sizes (from elbow to palm?) to get an idea.
A too long aerobar tends to make you moe wobbly (less control of your bike) and also strecthes you out more... (elbow angle much greater than 90 degrees).

TT bikes have a tendency to run a size smaller than your road, i.e. the top tube/seat angle I mentioned.

GL