Best road bike under £400

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Matt Woodthorpe, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. Matt Woodthorpe

    Matt Woodthorpe New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2004
    OK, what’s the best road bike under £400.
    I have looked at Claud Butler’s Roubaix at £359, Saracen’s Morzine at £386, Trek 1000 at £349 and Fausto Coppi’s Torino at £359.
    They all seem to share the same basic components, the Coppi is the designer label with snob value, and is a great bike, shame about the colour scheme.
    I thought Claud Butler was a great make until I noticed no one ever mentions them on this site or any other come to mention it, and all the write ups I have seen give their range of road bikes grilling.
    Saracen is rarely mentioned, although their bikes do receive good write-ups and look pretty cool.
    Trek, I know as an American icon, however are their budget bikes any good for me.

    The last point I should mention is that I am 6 foot tall and weigh 16 stone (absolutely not fat, honest) so I need a bike that can take some punishment as I do around 150 miles a week.

    So if you have one of these bikes, or are in the know, please give me the benefit of your knowledge and put in a reply.

    Matt

    PS. It’s got to look good, don’t want to spoil my image?
    :confused:

    Tags:

  2. Davo

    Davo Guest

    iy ya local to Notts my mate has a claud butler Milano ( I Think)

    campag 9 speed and wand £150 for it..its unmarked

    [email protected]

    cheers

    "Matt Woodthorpe" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > OK, what's the best road bike under £400.
    > I have looked at Claud Butler's Roubaix at £359, Saracen's Morzine at
    > £386, Trek 1000 at £349 and Fausto Coppi's Torino at £359.
    > They all seem to share the same basic components, the Coppi is the
    > designer label with snob value, and is a great bike, shame about the
    > colour scheme.
    > I thought Claud Butler was a great make until I noticed no one ever
    > mentions them on this site or any other come to mention it, and all the
    > write ups I have seen give their range of road bikes grilling.
    > Saracen is rarely mentioned, although their bikes do receive good
    > write-ups and look pretty cool.
    > Trek, I know as an American icon, however are their budget bikes any
    > good for me.
    >
    > The last point I should mention is that I am 6 foot tall and weigh 16
    > stone (absolutely not fat, honest) so I need a bike that can take some
    > punishment as I do around 150 miles a week.
    >
    > So if you have one of these bikes, or are in the know, please give me
    > the benefit of your knowledge and put in a reply.
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > PS. It's got to look good, don't want to spoil my image?
    > :confused:
    >

    > --
    > Matt Woodthorpe

  3. DSK

    DSK New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2003
    Dunno but I went for a Claud Butler Milano as it has a very comprehensive specification and I managed to get a price match deal and ended up parting with £410 for a brand new Milano! as I was gobsmacked by the price of the likes of Cannondale etc.

    Had it for a year now and it seems to be going well, although the stems was a bit loose and the gears needed a minor tweek which was fixed under warranty. Rode in in the rain a couple of times and there si no rust (although I care for it like a child). The brakes are great and the only thing I'd really like changing is the plastic xenon brake and gear levers for chrome metal ones (even though the plastic ones seem to be quite stronng).

    If that Milano is in good condition, its a steal at £150, sooo much bike so little £££ in my opinion.

  4. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:53:50 +1000, Matt Woodthorpe wrote:

    > OK, what’s the best road bike under £400.
    > I have looked at Claud Butler’s Roubaix at £359, Saracen’s Morzine at
    > £386, Trek 1000 at £349 and Fausto Coppi’s Torino at £359.
    > They all seem to share the same basic components, the Coppi is the
    > designer label with snob value, and is a great bike, shame about the
    > colour scheme.
    > I thought Claud Butler was a great make until I noticed no one ever
    > mentions them on this site or any other come to mention it, and all the
    > write ups I have seen give their range of road bikes grilling.

    I have the Roubaix.

    Comfort wasn't good till I changed the saddle for a Specialized Body
    Geometry. I changed the bar tape to Specialized Bar Phat.
    I changed the tyres for Specialized Armadillos, which have been doing well.
    The original tyres were too soft for me, and punctured. One finally split.
    I can tell you more about the bike if you like.

    Also why not put a Decathlon bike on your list? They regularly get good
    reviews in Cycling +, and from what I've heard have good
    value for money.

  5. davek

    davek Guest

    John Hearns:
    > Also why not put a Decathlon bike on your list? They regularly get good
    > reviews in Cycling +, and from what I've heard have good
    > value for money.

    I notice one of the teams in the TdF - I forget which - is riding Decathlon
    branded bikes. Does anyone know if they are production models, or are they
    special builds sponsored by Decathlon?

    d.

  6. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    Matt Woodthorpe wrote:
    > OK, what’s the best road bike under £400.

    Normally, your LBS's special offer on one of last
    year's (newly non fashionable) models.

    BugBear

  7. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    AG2R use Decathlon bikes and I think Cofidis might too. There is one reviewed in C+ so it certainly is possible to buy a top end Decathlon bike. The review model is more than £400 though.

  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    davek wrote:
    > John Hearns:
    >
    >>Also why not put a Decathlon bike on your list? They regularly get good
    >>reviews in Cycling +, and from what I've heard have good
    >>value for money.

    > I notice one of the teams in the TdF - I forget which - is riding Decathlon
    > branded bikes. Does anyone know if they are production models, or are they
    > special builds sponsored by Decathlon?
    >
    > d.

    there are two teams with decathlon bikes in the tour. Ag2r Who use a
    Decathlon frame, campag groupset and decathlon wheels, and Cofidis (GO
    O'GRADY) who use a Decathlon frame, campag groupset and campag wheels.

    Cheers

    Michael

  9. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:53:50 +1000, Matt Woodthorpe wrote:

    > OK, what’s the best road bike under £400.
    > I have looked at Claud Butler’s Roubaix at £359, Saracen’s Morzine at
    > £386, Trek 1000 at £349 and Fausto Coppi’s Torino at £359.
    > They all seem to share the same basic components, the Coppi is the
    > designer label with snob value, and is a great bike, shame about the
    > colour scheme.

    A mate of mine has one for sale, he is over 6', so this seems a little
    small for him, but he may have got the size wrong, e-mail him,not me,for
    more info:

    Fort RO7005 Road Bike 54cm, Alloy Frame, Full Shimano Tiagra 9 Speed
    Groupset, Mavic MA3 Rims, Very Little Use, Excellent Condition, Dark Red
    Colour, Mudguard Clearance & Eyelets, £300
    Call: Pete Johnson 01332 603890
    Email: [email protected] - for more info/photos

    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.