Best Road Bike Under $1500 As of 8-17-11

Bigstar100

Aug 17, 2011
Hey Everyone I am brand new to this forum so firstly Hi. I started cycling last summer and unfortunately had to sell my bike last September. I am now ready to get back into cycling and in all honesty never really new to much about it in the first place. my max price is $1500 i dont mind last year models but i would like at least all tiagra components or 105 would be even better. If someone could give me some advice on what bike i should look at i would appreciate it. The only bike i have looked at so far was the 2010 Fuji Roubiax 3.0 ACR selling at $899. Overall it seemed nice to me but i dont simply want to fall in love with the first bike i see. So if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it.

My LBS had a 2011 Cannondale CAAD 10-5 with either 105 stuff or Sram Apex (equivalent to 105) and they wanted $1500 for those. Step it up a few hundred and you could get some better components/crank. From all that I've heard, the CAAD 10 is probably one of the best aluminum frames out there and several guys in the store's group ride have a 10 on carbon clinchers that they race.

I opted to get a new 2010 Cervelo S1 with full Ultegra instead and spent around $1800. Figured it was worth it for the step up in components.

IMO the Caad 10 is the way to go. The Caad 10/5 comes with new 105 and it is the Caad 10 frame. There is no single frame that is better for the $

bgoetz said:
IMO the Caad 10 is the way to go. The Caad 10/5 comes with new 105 and it is the Caad 10 frame. There is no single frame that is better for the $
An '11 CAAD10 5 would be the way to go, I agree. I've seen a good handful going for around $1500 or so, although that could be $1500 too much if the fit isn't right. As an FYI, the 2012 model has no upgrades component wise, just different paint schemes. I'd also take a look at the Felt F75, which is known to compare favorably with the CAAD10.

Originally Posted by Bigstar100 .

Hey Everyone I am brand new to this forum so firstly Hi. I started cycling last summer and unfortunately had to sell my bike last September. I am now ready to get back into cycling and in all honesty never really new to much about it in the first place. my max price is $1500 i dont mind last year models but i would like at least all tiagra components or 105 would be even better. If someone could give me some advice on what bike i should look at i would appreciate it. The only bike i have looked at so far was the 2010 Fuji Roubiax 3.0 ACR selling at $899. Overall it seemed nice to me but i dont simply want to fall in love with the first bike i see. So if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it.
Lots of options out there, but if you already like the Fuji look at the Roubaix 1.0, right around your $1500 max and has Shimano 105. For a few hundred more you can get their SL 3.0 and go full carbon with Tiagra components, and then upgrade those down the road.

Also look at Felt Z85, Z6, F75/85, Giant Defy, Trek 2.1.

I have the Felt Z85 and I really like it. Carbon fork, carbon seat post and 105 components. I paid $1100, but you could probably do better this time of year. Good luck!:)

Unfortunately they only offered that bike in the Dura Ace Version in 2010, and it was actually anodized, so it weighted about 100 grams less than any of the other frames. However, I have taken a look at the new colors and they are offering up some pretty sweet looking bikes as well as some type of charcoal or BBQ black in at least the Ultegra bike. I think in the 105 bike there will be a white with team color green accents that looks pretty sweet

You can have my 2010 Cannondale CAAD 9-1(16.40 lbs) with Dura-Ace shifters if you're willing to pay $2000. Great bike.

I'm throw'n the Defy 1 for $1180 out there. You'd have a little extra to buy some sweet gear.

Originally Posted by mantooth .

I'm throw'n the Defy 1 for $1180 out there. You'd have a little extra to buy some sweet gear.

The Defy 1 ain't bad, but it's not the same style as a CAAD10 or a Felt F75. Both are a fair bit more aggressive in geometry: less taper on the top-tube for starters. The Defy does a good job of having full 105 (inc. brakes) that the CAAD10 5 can't even make claim to, but the CAAD10 arguably has the nicer frame and definitely has better wheels. The F75 is full 105 like the Giant, but again with a better (more aggressive and likely lighter, although Giant never posts their weights) frame & wheels.

As for this argument: I'm shopping in the $1500-$1800 range and have narrowed it down to the Felt and the Cannondale. No Felt's in stock in WA so taking the CAAD10 5 for a test ride tomorrow to see how it handles. I expect the results to be positive.

Just got back into road biking and did a lot of looking around for the right bike. Purchased a Trek 2.1, 58" H3 for $1350 at LBS. I stayed with Trek as I have one of their MTBs and I've had no problems with it. I too, wanted to have the Shimano 105 group the 2.1 provides. The 2.1 is an awesome bike for my style of riding. I ride between 8 and 10 miles each morning and so far, up to 25 miles on one of the weekend days. I can't say enough about how much I like the bike. My 2.1 has an 11-28 cassette and the compact 52-39 crank; perfect for providing many training variations here in the SC lowcountry. Added a Koobi Century PRS saddle, Bontrager's speed trap and cadence sensors and a Node 1 computer. Great bike for my needs and less than $1500.

From what I understand, if you are into racing, look at the Cannondale CAAD line, if you are more of a recreational rider, look at the Cannondale Synapse line. That is what I was told by my LBS. I have a 2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 with Shimano 105 and have really enjoyed it so far. I was looking at a Trek 2.1 with Shimano 105 but my LBS was sold out of my size and it was going to be some time before the 2012 Treks came in according to them.

I know of 2 bikes you can look at that would fit your needs. The first is the Trek 2.1. The price is about $1400 and it has all Shimano 105 components. I won't ride anything less than 105 myself. The other is the Scott Speedster S30. I think the newer models are equipped with a Tiagra/105 combination. Not bad for right at $1100. I recently bought a very lightly used 2007 Scott Speedster S30, which had a full 105 groupset, for $650. It is fairly lightweight, smooth, stiff, and fast. I am glad I bought this and not the Trek. I had money to upgrade the wheels, tires, and saddle. Just remember, craiglist is your friend ;)

Originally Posted by timbrwolf9 .

From what I understand, if you are into racing, look at the Cannondale CAAD line, if you are more of a recreational rider, look at the Cannondale Synapse line. That is what I was told by my LBS. I have a 2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 with Shimano 105 and have really enjoyed it so far. I was looking at a Trek 2.1 with Shimano 105 but my LBS was sold out of my size and it was going to be some time before the 2012 Treks came in according to them.

I managed a 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 with Shimano 105 components for $940 and it had only been ridden for 100 miles. Not the lightest bike out there, but its just about 1200-1300 or so with shoes and pedals on top.