Best Road Bike under $3000

razor_USMC

Mar 30, 2004
Let's say for the sake of argument you had $3000 in your pocket right now. You walk into your LBS right now and purchase the best road bike you can for your money. What would you purchase and why?

For me so far, it would be the Giant TCR composite 1, for $2600. Reason is full carbon frame and full Ultegra components with Dura-Ace rear derailer.

Oh, and if you were looking in this price range, would you even be tempted to look at a LeMond bike after what he has said about Lance Armstrong, or would that have any effect on your decision?

Thanks for your input, enjoy.

Without riding them it is hard say, but I would probably choose a Trek Pilot 5.2 because they are made in the U.S. and I like supporting U.S. companies.

Kestrel talon frameset $1100
Centaur + Eurus $1324
Speedplay x-2 $130
Ritchey pro os bar & stem $100
Michelin pro race tires $70
Other bits about $250

It's nice to dream isn't it.

razor_USMC said:
Let's say for the sake of argument you had $3000 in your pocket right now. You walk into your LBS right now and purchase the best road bike you can for your money.
Ah, the elusive "best". This question gets asked in every hobby (I design and build vacuum tube ampilifiers for my "main" hobby and hear it all the time). And every time it's asked, I am reminded of the reply of Berkeley wine importer Kermit Lynch to the question, "What's the best wine?".

Best for what? For sipping on spring afternoon on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean? With roast lamb and white beans? With white peaches, fresh off the tree? The answer is different every time, as is the answer to this question. Way too many variables to define a universal "best".

OK, now that I've been the fly in the ointment;), I'll tell you what I just did with my $3 grand.

• Pegoretti Palosanto steel frame
  • Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork
  • Campy Chorus groupset (triple 30-42-53. Hey, I'm old, OK)
  • Deda Elementi Newton bar and stem
  • Selle Italia Flite Gelpro Trans Am
  • Chorus carbon seatpost
  • Mavic Open Pro CD clincher rims
  • Wheelsmith spokes
  • Chorus hubs
  • Conti GP 3000 700 x 25C tires
  • Campy Ergobrain (way overkill, but I couldn't resist the geeky chainring/sprocket graphics :))
All from GVH Bikes for just a shade under $2900. Delivery due next week - and I'm on pins and needles.

Is it the best? Beats me. If it turns out to be the best for my use - fitness, recreation, errands to avoid a second car - I'll be more than thrilled.

Man oh man....this is a great question.....many different answers and they are all right, in my opinion.....

I will start off in saying I love my TCR.....the ride is great and it is holding up well.

I will hit this question more general that the last ones. I would try everything I could to build my own. You get to pick your stuff. For me this is the most important. It is all about the accessories.....LOL

so accessories....

Campy (in my opinion)
I really like Easton Products....
I have Campy wheels as well, probably the best Campy piece I have...4000 miles and has never needed to be trued and I am not a light guy....

For 3000 I would stick with the TCR...wait for the new ones....900 Grams for the frame....( that is 2 cans of beer)

Build with some good pieces and then get the rest off of Nashbar....then upgrade as you wish.....

Thanks for letting me Rant.....

Biff

Triodelover said:
Ah, the elusive "best". This question gets asked in every hobby (I design and build vacuum tube ampilifiers for my "main" hobby and hear it all the time). And every time it's asked, I am reminded of the reply of Berkeley wine importer Kermit Lynch to the question, "What's the best wine?".

Best for what? For sipping on spring afternoon on a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean? With roast lamb and white beans? With white peaches, fresh off the tree? The answer is different every time, as is the answer to this question. Way too many variables to define a universal "best".

OK, now that I've been the fly in the ointment;), I'll tell you what I just did with my $3 grand.

• Pegoretti Palosanto steel frame
  • Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork
  • Campy Chorus groupset (triple 30-42-53. Hey, I'm old, OK)
  • Deda Elementi Newton bar and stem
  • Selle Italia Flite Gelpro Trans Am
  • Chorus carbon seatpost
  • Mavic Open Pro CD clincher rims
  • Wheelsmith spokes
  • Chorus hubs
  • Conti GP 3000 700 x 25C tires
  • Campy Ergobrain (way overkill, but I couldn't resist the geeky chainring/sprocket graphics :))
All from GVH Bikes for just a shade under $2900. Delivery due next week - and I'm on pins and needles.

Is it the best? Beats me. If it turns out to be the best for my use - fitness, recreation, errands to avoid a second car - I'll be more than thrilled.

bstephens said:
I would try everything I could to build my own. You get to pick your stuff. For me this is the most important. It is all about the accessories.....LOL
I agree. I'm a DIY sort of guy. As I mentioned, I design and build (from scratch, including chassis) vacuum tube amplifiers in my garage shop, mostly using tubes that haven't even been manufactured since FDR took his first oath of office. I DIY my computers. Hell, I even roast my own coffee beans. I guess I can't stand having the guys in marketing and accounting decide how I should spend my money - or on what.

The Pegoretti was built up from Gary's build kits and some judicious substitutions of my choice. Since this bike represents a return to cycling after a 3-decade hiatus, I decided I'd let Gary build this one. But I'm already thinking about building the next one in my garage.:)

Interesting questions. Firstly, regarding the Lemond question, absolutely. Lemond's bikes are gorgeous and well-made, that's not in question. Where the Lance stuff is considered, well, that's between them. They're adults, they've been exchanging dialogue on the subject for a while, and frankly, anyone who's had as close contact with Armstrong as Lemond has likely has a valid opinion on the matter.

The jury remains out on the facts, and Armstrong deserves the benefit of the doubt from the public. But though he may be a hell of a cyclist, and a courageous guy for overcoming cancer, but none of that makes him more above scrutiny than the next guy. That said, a good bike is a good bike. Anyways...

This is, of course, an impossible question, so I'll just toss out some of my favorite bike brands that make nice models in that price range:

Klein - highly refined, luciously painted American aluminum goodness.
Lemond - highly refined, luciously assembled American multi-material goodness.
Sycip - simple, minimalist, sexy-mod Northern California goodness.
DeRosa - utterly romantic, artisan Italian goodness.
Pegoretti - classic Italian steel and al, best graphics in the business.
Giant - lots of options, great value. My favorite choice in the big-company category.

razor_USMC said:
Let's say for the sake of argument you had $3000 in your pocket right now. You walk into your LBS right now and purchase the best road bike you can for your money. What would you purchase and why?

For me so far, it would be the Giant TCR composite 1, for $2600. Reason is full carbon frame and full Ultegra components with Dura-Ace rear derailer.
QUOTE]

I almost bought the TCR Composite 1 also - thought it was the best deal. But I got a deal on Ebay for a 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team Frameset for $968. Built it up as follows:

Cervelo Soloist Frame, Fork, Seatpost, & Headset 51cm (Ebay) $968
FSA Carbon Superlight 170mm (Ebay) $269.64
Aspide Arrowhead Seat 75
Ultegra BB 30
Weyless R19 Stem 26.0 39.95
3TTT Less 199 65
Ultegra Levers 129
Bar Tape 0
7800 Brakes 213.08
Ksyrium SSC SL wheels 821.66
89R Hollowpin 27
7700 Cassette 11 - 23 70
Ultegra Frt Derailler 25
Dura 9spd Rear Derailler 94
27g Carbon Cage 29.95
Carbon Spacers 9.95
Pedals 63
Brake Pads 17.9
Tax & Shipping 33.07
Labor 42
Dura Ace Gear Indicator 9.86
Total $3033.06

The bike is just a beauty to ride, and custom building is the best way to go!

Oh, if I had to get a carbon fiber bike, the Giant TCR 1 would be it! My local bike shop would even upgrade the cranks to FSA Superlights and the wheels to Ksyrium SSC SL's -- all for around $2973 after tax!

Purchased a 2004 Lemond Zurich in April.
Test road a 2004 TCR 1 in July.
Sold my Lemond, Purchased new Giant at LBS for 2275 on sale
Smoother, Faster Ride, Superior Climber, Better for Upgrading

I can only take Lemond at his word which was in very poor taste on many levels which galvanized my decision to sell that over priced bike.

:rolleyes: i would go for the Litespeed Vortex:

Dura Ace
FSA stem, seat post and handlebars
Dura Ace Weels
Sella Italia Ti gel Flow
definately the new Time mag pedals
Shimano R215 shoes

HEY PRESTO YOU GOT YOUR DREAM MACHINE....MMMMMM MIGHT GO GET ONE :rolleyes:

JTE83 said:
razor_USMC said:

QUOTE]

I almost bought the TCR Composite 1 also - thought it was the best deal. But I got a deal on Ebay for a 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team Frameset for $968. Built it up as follows:

Cervelo Soloist Frame, Fork, Seatpost, & Headset 51cm (Ebay) $968
FSA Carbon Superlight 170mm (Ebay) $269.64
Aspide Arrowhead Seat 75
Ultegra BB 30
Weyless R19 Stem 26.0 39.95
3TTT Less 199 65
Ultegra Levers 129
Bar Tape 0
7800 Brakes 213.08
Ksyrium SSC SL wheels 821.66
89R Hollowpin 27
7700 Cassette 11 - 23 70
Ultegra Frt Derailler 25
Dura 9spd Rear Derailler 94
27g Carbon Cage 29.95
Carbon Spacers 9.95
Pedals 63
Brake Pads 17.9
Tax & Shipping 33.07
Labor 42
Dura Ace Gear Indicator 9.86
Total $3033.06

The bike is just a beauty to ride, and custom building is the best way to go!

Oh, if I had to get a carbon fiber bike, the Giant TCR 1 would be it! My local bike shop would even upgrade the cranks to FSA Superlights and the wheels to Ksyrium SSC SL's -- all for around $2973 after tax!
I bought the same frame, 56 cm, here locally in Oz. Got a good deal. Campa Centaur, with record cranks. Anyway, is that your position on bike? The seat looks quite low I must say. :) What do you think of the frame? I just came back from a long, for me, ride on it and I totally love the frame. Stiff but not harsh at all. Mmm.

Nice idea for the litespeed vortex, but, this was a thread for a bike LESS than $3000, not double that. Roadbikereview doesn't show a listing for a litespeed vortex for less than 5 grand and the Vortex with Dura Ace is around double my $3000 limit.

Hi all!!

OK, first of all Im in the UK where prices seem to be much higher than in the US!

My current ride is as follows:

1. Corima Puma Frame
2. Ouzo Comp Aero froks
3. Campag Scirroco wheelset
4. Campag Centaur groupset
5. Pinnarello Cranks
6. Deda Alanera Bar/Stem combo
7. Top quality components and finishing kit

All in price inc. 5 week order and build time: 2985.00 UK Sterling, thats about $5426.00

I love this bike, I dont race in events, I only use it for commuting and riding as a hobby. It has never let me down and is unbelievably fast. I live in a very hilly area and this bike just climbs and climbs, and the descents are sure footed and scary fast!!!!

Hope you like the sound of my ride.

Cheers, Dylan

Dylan33-UK said:
Hi all!!

OK, first of all Im in the UK where prices seem to be much higher than in the US!

Hope you like the sound of my ride.

Cheers, Dylan
Hi, Dylan.

Sounds like a very nice ride. As to your comment about UK prices, I was looking at the Maestro UK site awhile back. The Colnago Master XL was ~£648 (w/Prescia fork, if memory serves). That's around $1180, plus around 80 quid shipping and insurance to the colonies. Most shops stateside list the Master XL at around $2K (with fork choices varying).

I don't know if Mike's prices are typical for UK shops, but that's a pretty good deal it seems. If that's representative of UK prices for Italian frames, I need to come back and visit. OTOH, you all do seem to take a bit of a bath on frames from North America. :(

Then again, your beer's better.:D

Hi again

Yeah its a great ride, thanks for your approval. :D

You are right about the lack of enthusiasm regarding US frames in the UK. My first road bike was a Cannondale which I broke during a crash, the down tube and bottom bracket seperated! So I was put of then, but I have to say Italian and handbuilt European frames do seem to be favoured, maybe this is down to our love of Campy products and the fact we mostly try to build bikes with a fluidity of flavour over here? :confused:

Ive never had a Colnago, however maybe one day and Im amazed at the price you found. If yuo want to see some of the best bikes and components available in the UK check out www.sigmasport.co.uk at the moment there is a very nice Corima Puma on the offers page, built up with Rev-X wheels etc for 2000 UK sterling!!!!!

Cheers and happy riding, Dylan

PS I happen to love Coors and Bud and have never been to keen on UK beers!

Triodelover said:
Hi, Dylan.

Sounds like a very nice ride. As to your comment about UK prices, I was looking at the Maestro UK site awhile back. The Colnago Master XL was ~£648 (w/Prescia fork, if memory serves). That's around $1180, plus around 80 quid shipping and insurance to the colonies. Most shops stateside list the Master XL at around $2K (with fork choices varying).

I don't know if Mike's prices are typical for UK shops, but that's a pretty good deal it seems. If that's representative of UK prices for Italian frames, I need to come back and visit. OTOH, you all do seem to take a bit of a bath on frames from North America. :(

Then again, your beer's better.:D

Dylan33-UK said:
Ive never had a Colnago, however maybe one day and Im amazed at the price you found.

PS I happen to love Coors and Bud and have never been to keen on UK beers!
Well the Colnago price was sans VAT.

Coors and Bud are not beer. They are flavored-water beverages with some small amount of alcohol in them. They are made by giving horses copious quantities of diuretics. :D

One of the best meals I've ever had was in a rather seedy hotel cum country house in SE Yorks. It was a beautiful Spring day in May - sunshine and a cool breeze off the sea. I'd come back to the hotel from my office for lunch. Fresh brook trout broiled in butter, chips and peas fresh from the garden. All washed down with a pint of Sam Smith's best bitter. Heaven.

How can you not love your beers? :(

And the "winner" of the mentioned bikes is:

The Pegoretti!!!

That is a wonderful setup for a good price. The frame is absolutely fabulous and extremely rare. You can be sure that it is handmade with tons and tons of love. I also like the choice for custom wheels instead of Mavic/Campa of the shelve.

To me it is amusing that "low-tech" steel is now a lot more unique as high-tech Alu/Carbon. When I started racing everyone had steel bikes and we envied the rich SOB's with imported Alu or god forbid Carbon.

Anyway: please post the pic of that Pegoretti, I love their paint scheme's.

Hi again,

So you've been to Yorkshire and loved the local beers and food! Well, UK beers are OK but they are a little "heavy" for my tastes. However, british ales are a very different thing, next time your in the UK, try a pint of Old Speckled Hen, if you can find it. A very fine pint indeed, maybe your right about US beers, but they easily outsell UK beers in our pubs!

And if you like your fish, try out "Fish" or "Old Orleans" in Guildford, Surrey. Catfish is great and try Sea Bass baked in a block of Rock salt if you can find it!

Happy riding and by the way, what do you ride?
Dylan

Triodelover said:
Well the Colnago price was sans VAT.

Coors and Bud are not beer. They are flavored-water beverages with some small amount of alcohol in them. They are made by giving horses copious quantities of diuretics. :D

One of the best meals I've ever had was in a rather seedy hotel cum country house in SE Yorks. It was a beautiful Spring day in May - sunshine and a cool breeze off the sea. I'd come back to the hotel from my office for lunch. Fresh brook trout broiled in butter, chips and peas fresh from the garden. All washed down with a pint of Sam Smith's best bitter. Heaven.

How can you not love your beers? :(