Best Road Mini Pump

Andy

Guest
I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want one
that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my choices are
Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to chime in?
TIA
Andy

Andy wrote:
> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want one
> that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my choices are
> Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to chime in?
> TIA
> Andy

Topeak Road Morph is the best pump (IMNSHO) of any sort. Easily pumps
tires to 120psi, and I really mean easily. Gauge included, which is not
well-calibrated so you need to compare results to a good floor pump at
first, but it works well enough after you learn how to read it. Mounts
on a frame bracket, but probably would mount with one of those
water-bottle brackets, too.

I'll be spending 6 months in Spain next year, and this is the only pump
I will bring.

--

David L. Johnson

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig...
You soon find out the pig likes it!

"Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Topeak Mini Morph. Doesn't mount under the bottle with the included
> mount

Topeak Mini-Morph is a good pump, but it isn't very mini unless you're
comparing it to the Topeak Road Morph (the biggest heaviest pump on the
market).

On Mar 25, 10:20 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
> > one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
> > choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to
> > chime in? TIA
> > Andy

> Topeak Mini Morph. Doesn't mount under the bottle with the included mount,
> but you can probably find a mount for another pump that would work. The
> floor pump action makes things easy. I don't know of any other mini floor
> pumps than the Morph series from Topeak.
> --
> Phil

Performance Bike Shop has a mini-floor-pump, the Hurricane MiniMax-
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12643

Its mount will clip to any tube at any angle, since it doesn't use the
braze-ons. You could mount it alongside a cage easily. My brother has
one, but thankfully hasn't needed it yet.

The Topeak is the better pump, though, and there's a reason it costs
50% more. It has the gauge, and is sturdier.

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:38:42 -0600, Andy wrote:

> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want one
> that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my choices are
> Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to chime in?

I have a Barbieri CarbOne that will pump to over 120psi. It takes a
really long time, but it does work.

Matt O.

Andy wrote:
> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
> one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
> choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to
> chime in? TIA
> Andy

Topeak Mini Morph. Doesn't mount under the bottle with the included mount,
but you can probably find a mount for another pump that would work. The
floor pump action makes things easy. I don't know of any other mini floor
pumps than the Morph series from Topeak.
--
Phil

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:20:09 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
>> one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
>> choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to
>> chime in? TIA
>> Andy

>Topeak Mini Morph. Doesn't mount under the bottle with the included mount,
>but you can probably find a mount for another pump that would work. The
>floor pump action makes things easy. I don't know of any other mini floor
>pumps than the Morph series from Topeak.

Dear Phil & Andy,

I switched from a Zefal mini-pump to the Topeak Road Morph a while ago
because I finally woke up and noticed how many posters like Phil kept
praising the Topeak Road Morph, with its fold-out t-handle, flip-out
foot stand, flexible extending hose, and built-in gauge.

The posters forgot to mention how nice the angled thumb-lever is on
the reversible Presta-Schrader head (I like it better than the
straight thumb-lever on my floor pump) and how nice the mounting
bracket is.

My only disappointment came when I took my Road Morph out to fix a
flat while I was riding with a visiting friend. As I started pumping,
I casually mentioned what a nice pump it is, planning to bore him
silly by pointing out its advantages.

He cut my sales spiel off by assuring me that he'd bought a Topeak
Road Morph several years ago and thought it was wonderful.

I thought about letting the air out of his tires, but . . .

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mar 26, 11:38 am, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want one
> that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my choices are
> Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to chime in?
> TIA
> Andy

Topeak Mini Blaster DX. I don't remember if it comes with any mounting
brackets. I carry mine in a large water bottle.

> Topeak Road Morph is the best pump (IMNSHO) of any sort. Easily pumps
> tires to 120psi, and I really mean easily. Gauge included, which is not
> well-calibrated so you need to compare results to a good floor pump at
> first, but it works well enough after you learn how to read it. Mounts
> on a frame bracket, but probably would mount with one of those
> water-bottle brackets, too.

Morph is the best no doubt. But I did have an O-ring on the plunger
fail on me once. Could only pump to 40 psi with O-ring failure. So I carry
a spare O-ring with me now (I ride long-distance in very remote areas).
Unscrew the plunger and pull it out, you'll see an O-ring on the bottom, the
one that failed stretched, and wouldn't stay in the groove. The guage is
strange, for the one's I've had a 90 psi reading is really a 100 psi.

On Mar 26, 12:46 am, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Topeak Road Morph is the best pump (IMNSHO) of any sort. Easily pumps
> tires to 120psi, and I really mean easily.

"Easily"...only compared to most other portable pumps.

Compared to a good floor pump, it is very difficult to get to 100psi,
much less 120psi, with the Road Morph, unless maybe you're under four
feet tall and find a floor pump too tall to use easily.

I like my Road Morph well enough and carry it whenever I'm out riding,
but given a choice between using it or one of my floor pumps, it's no
contest--the floor pump wins every time.

> Compared to a good floor pump, it is very difficult to get to 100psi,
> much less 120psi, with the Road Morph, unless maybe you're under four
> feet tall and find a floor pump too tall to use easily.
>
> I like my Road Morph well enough and carry it whenever I'm out riding,
> but given a choice between using it or one of my floor pumps, it's no
> contest--the floor pump wins every time.

----------
I did see a goofy guy one time riding with his floor pump straped to his
backpack, but that's getting too radical. And besides I've had floor pumps
fail on me too. The advantage of the road morph is that you thrust the
plunger straight down to pump your tubes, as opposed to sideways with the
other ones. I was never coordinated enough to get high psi's being in such
contorted positions. The morph is a micro version of a floor pump.

On Mar 26, 8:04 am, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Compared to a good floor pump, it is very difficult to get to 100psi,
> > much less 120psi, with the Road Morph, unless maybe you're under four
> > feet tall and find a floor pump too tall to use easily.

> > I like my Road Morph well enough and carry it whenever I'm out riding,
> > but given a choice between using it or one of my floor pumps, it's no
> > contest--the floor pump wins every time.

> ----------
> I did see a goofy guy one time riding with his floor pump straped to his
> backpack, but that's getting too radical.

I guess it depends on how far and where you are going. A story in
Adventure Cycling about a couple who rode from Alaska to Tierra del
Fuego a few years ago said they carried a floor pump with them. The
man said they tried the various portable frame pumps but finally
decided to get something that really worked. Not sure which pump they
carried, but a Silca track pump, with a good replacement head from
Topeak, isn't appreciably bigger than a frame pump. If you are
carrying a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag strapped onto your rear
rack, a floor pump fits in just fine. When you are in the remote
Andes I suspect having a pump that will easily and reliably fill your
tires provides good peace of mind. These people had Salsa steel
mountain bike frames with 26" wheels and 7 speed friction shifters.
Late 1990s or early 2000s was the time period. Story mentioned they
went to the Salsa company for advice and the person they talked to
there said steel frame, rigid fork, friction shifters, 26" mountain
bike tires, and 7 speeds (plus triple crank) were the ticket for
reliable gear for a loaded tour from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.

Kenny wrote:
> On Mar 26, 11:38 am, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want one
>> that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my choices are
>> Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to chime in?
>> TIA
>> Andy

> Topeak Mini Blaster DX. I don't remember if it comes with any mounting
> brackets. I carry mine in a large water bottle.

Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier to
100psi?
Thanks again,
andy

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:51:50 -0600, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

>Kenny wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 11:38 am, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want one
>>> that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my choices are
>>> Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to chime in?
>>> TIA
>>> Andy

>> Topeak Mini Blaster DX. I don't remember if it comes with any mounting
>> brackets. I carry mine in a large water bottle.
>>

>Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
>down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
>pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier to
>100psi?
>Thanks again,
>andy

Dear Andy,

With a Zefal HPX frame pump, you latch one rigid end onto the tire
valve, hold that end with one hand (or brace it somehow on the
ground), and then push the broomstick handle with your other hand.
It's the simple, old-fashioned, awkward way, designed back when strong
men sneered at luxury and convenience:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=13852

With a Topeak Morph, a short hose with a thumb latch attaches to the
tire valve. A flip-out foot stand and sturdy bottom let you use the
pump like a floor pump, holding the pump in place with one foot and
pushing against the ground with your weight. Pushing against a
flip-out T-handle beats the hell out of pushing on a straight
broomstick. Here's a picture that shows a mini-Morph's details:

http://images.rei.com/media/704109.jpg

Your local bike shop will probably let you try pumping up some tires
with the two kinds of pumps. I suspect that a powerful and practiced
expert can grab an old-fashioned frame pump and inflate a tire faster,
but that the rest of us will be much happier, more comfortable, and
less frustrated using the features of a morph that imitates a floor
pump.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

In article <3665a$4607ec15$48f43989
[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>Kenny wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 11:38 am, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want

one
>>> that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my choices

are
>>> Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to chime

in?
>>> TIA
>>> Andy

>> Topeak Mini Blaster DX. I don't remember if it comes with any

mounting
>> brackets. I carry mine in a large water bottle.
>>

>Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
>down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
>pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier

>100psi?
>Thanks again,
>andy

I'm convinced, after trying a Topeak Road-Morph, Topeak Mini Blaster
DX, Carbon, etc. that there are no free lunches in the world. Size does
matter and you get what you pay for. The Topeak is bigger then a mini
pump and works better but isn't great. The Mini Blaster is ok but really
can't get a road tire hard; and like most Topeak products is inexpensive
and built inexpensvely. The CarbOne is built better and very small, it will
put enough air in a tire to get you home after hundreds and hundreds of
pumps. One good pump, slightly larger then the CarbOne, is the SKS
Raceday. Its not often mentioned here but seems to be made better and
will get a road tire (almost) up to full preassure after many pumps. My
two cents.

On Mar 26, 12:40 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:51:50 -0600, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Kenny wrote:

> >> Topeak Mini Blaster DX. I don't remember if it comes with any mounting
> >> brackets. I carry mine in a large water bottle.

> >Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
> >down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
> >pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier to
> >100psi?
> >Thanks again,
> >andy

> Dear Andy,
>
> With a Zefal HPX frame pump, you latch one rigid end onto the tire
> valve, hold that end with one hand (or brace it somehow on the
> ground), and then push the broomstick handle with your other hand.
> It's the simple, old-fashioned, awkward way, designed back when strong
> men sneered at luxury and convenience:

It was not mentioned in this thread, but many people mention a problem
with normal frame pumps is they can tear off the valve stem when you
are pushing on the broomstick. Something the Topeak Morph pumps
eliminate with the hose as opposed to a rigid head. But the tearing
off of the valve stem is due to poor procedures by the people using
the frame pump. When using a frame pump, do not brace the pump head
or rim against anything. Put the pump head onto the valve and hold
the tire up while inflating it. Just hold the pump head, not the
valve or rim or anything else. Let the wheel move freely. If you
don't put any force on the valve, it won't tear off.

My choice for a frame pump is the Blackburn FP1. Able to put any
pressure you want into the tire.

Andy <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
> one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
> choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to
> chime in?

"Best mini pump" is like asking which dog turds are best. Sorry to be
so blunt in my opinion, but there are no good mini pumps- only those
which are less crappy. The bigger Crank Bros one IME is the least
crappy.

If you can't or for some reason don't want to use a real pump, then
consider CO2 inflators.

On Mar 26, 12:48 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>
> Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
> > one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
> > choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to
> > chime in?

> "Best mini pump" is like asking which dog turds are best. Sorry to be
> so blunt in my opinion, but there are no good mini pumps- only those
> which are less crappy. The bigger Crank Bros one IME is the least
> crappy.
>
> If you can't or for some reason don't want to use a real pump, then
> consider CO2 inflators.

I agree. Fortunately NOS Silca Impero pumps are still obtainable.

Anyone tried the Zefal 88?
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...storeid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Frame Pumps

Andy wrote:
> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
> one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
> choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to
> chime in?
> TIA
> Andy

I have an Innovations Road Air on one bike, and, because Innovations
took that pump off the market, a Wrench Force Mini Road on the other.
Both of these are the "skinny barrel" style of pump, and they allow you
to pump a road tire to 80 - 100 pounds. It does take 150 - 200 strokes
to reach a high pressure, though. (I measured the pressure as soon as I
got home after my last flat. It was 100 psi according to my floor
pump. I'm moderately strong in the upper body.)

The Wrench Force pump is a double action, adding air pressure both on
the push and pull strokes. The Wrench Force has a fold out handle,
giving a larger contact area for the hand that is doing the pumping than
the Innovations unit, which is only about the size of a US dime.

Innovations has replaced the Road Air with a model that allows use of a
CO2 cartridge (I'm not sure, it may use the same model name). You can
also just pump air with it, I believe, so if you've used your cartridge,
you aren't stranded. But if you aren't a CO2 user, why pay for a
feature you'll likely never use?

I find these pumps an improvement on the Blackburn AS-1 Air Stik. I
can't get as high pressure into the tire with that fatter barrel
design. That pump let me down when I had a flat, because a rubber part
crumbled on me, although I think that was just an age issue, and maybe
lack of care on my part. I got a repair kit (for free) from Bell, which
I learned owns Blackburn, but I haven't bothered to try and fix it.
Luckily, a friend came by and helped me out by lending me his
Innovations pump, which is how I learned about it. I bought one the
same day, as we ended up riding toward the LBS where he wrenched.

"> Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
> down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
> pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier to
> 100psi?
> Thanks again,
> andy

----------
If you do get a morph, the head has a metal screw on cap. The cap holds
the rubber piece in the head. Put some tape around it to make sure it
doesn't vibrate off. It happened to me once, and I had to use some duct
tape to make it work without the cap, but by luck the rubber piece was still
in the head. It was most likely a freaky occurrence, but I put tape around
it for peace of mind, as it took almost an hour with my duct tape, and I
could only get it to 50 psi, but it got me home. These freaky occurrences
always happen 20 miles from civilization.
I also carry a shraeder adapter, but never had to use it. So you could
also stop into a gas station, and pump it up with one of those.
CO2's limit you to how many air thingys you have. I had 4 flats one
time on a short 70 mile ride, so how many do you carry? I do carry a CO2
inflater on double century rides, plus my pump, because sometimes the ol'
arms get a little tired, and knowing I have a CO2 gives you a mental lift if
you need it.
For me, flats come in streaks. Sometimes I go months without a flat,
and sometimes I get all kinds of flats. Tires have a lot to do with it. I
make sure I have some tread, and I found out I wasn't pumping so much.