Best Road Mini Pump

Andy wrote:
> Kenny wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 11:38 am, Andy <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
>>> one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
>>> choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want
>>> to chime in? TIA
>>> Andy

>> Topeak Mini Blaster DX. I don't remember if it comes with any
>> mounting brackets. I carry mine in a large water bottle.
>>

> Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
> down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
> pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier
> to 100psi?
> Thanks again,
> andy

Andy,
There is a Topeak Mini Morph and a Topeak Road Morph. They're two separate
products. The Mini Morph is a true mini pump. The Road Morph includes a
gauge while the Mini does not. The Mini is a little harder to use because
it's easy to flop over towards the side. I choose the Mini over all others
because the gauge is pretty useless to me: when I'm tired of pumping, it's
close to 100psi.
--
Phil

On 26 Mar 2007 12:14:18 -0700, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 26, 12:40 pm, [email protected] wrote:

>> >Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
>> >down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
>> >pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier to
>> >100psi?
>> >Thanks again,
>> >andy

>> Dear Andy,
>>
>> With a Zefal HPX frame pump, you latch one rigid end onto the tire
>> valve, hold that end with one hand (or brace it somehow on the
>> ground), and then push the broomstick handle with your other hand.
>> It's the simple, old-fashioned, awkward way, designed back when strong
>> men sneered at luxury and convenience:

>It was not mentioned in this thread, but many people mention a problem
>with normal frame pumps is they can tear off the valve stem when you
>are pushing on the broomstick. Something the Topeak Morph pumps
>eliminate with the hose as opposed to a rigid head. But the tearing
>off of the valve stem is due to poor procedures by the people using
>the frame pump. When using a frame pump, do not brace the pump head
>or rim against anything. Put the pump head onto the valve and hold
>the tire up while inflating it. Just hold the pump head, not the
>valve or rim or anything else. Let the wheel move freely. If you
>don't put any force on the valve, it won't tear off.
>
>My choice for a frame pump is the Blackburn FP1. Able to put any
>pressure you want into the tire.

I've been using one for years and find it almost perfect.

Ron

Andy <[email protected]> writes:

> I am looking for a small (not frame) pump for the road bike. I want
> one that will mount under a water bottle cage. It looks like my
> choices are Zefal Double Shot and a few Topeak models. Anyone want to
> chime in?
> TIA
> Andy

Blackburn airstik was my choice for the TT bike, only because I
couldn't fit the road/mtn morph on. It mounts with a nice sideclip
that uses the same screws as the water bottle cage, and it goes next
to the cage, and isn't in the way. It's very small and lightweight
and they claim it goes to 160psi, but it's not a morph, so I'm not
looking forward to the day I have to actually use it. Going to 70psi
probably won't be too bad; it'll be the extra 20 that will be tough,
but certainly doable.

http://www.blackburndesign.com/road_pumps.html

Here's the manual to see how the side clip mounts:

http://www.blackburndesign.com/manuals/blackburn_pump_manual.pdf

Bill Westphal

On Mar 26, 10:01 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> > Kenny wrote:

> >> Topeak Mini Blaster DX. I don't remember if it comes with any
> >> mounting brackets. I carry mine in a large water bottle.

> > Thanx for all the input. It sounds like the mini road morph wins hands
> > down. I notice that it is heavier than the Zefal HPX full size frame
> > pump. Can anyone remark on which of these two is faster and or easier
> > to 100psi?
> > Thanks again,
> > andy

> Andy,
> There is a Topeak Mini Morph and a Topeak Road Morph. They're two separate
> products. The Mini Morph is a true mini pump. The Road Morph includes a
> gauge while the Mini does not. The Mini is a little harder to use because
> it's easy to flop over towards the side. I choose the Mini over all others
> because the gauge is pretty useless to me: when I'm tired of pumping, it's
> close to 100psi.

Close to 100psi when you are tired? And you consider this pump
adequate for a bike ride? Maybe for around town smooth bike trails.

> --
> Phil- Hide quoted text -

Back in my naive days, I bought TWO of the silly Blackburn AS-1s. My
recommendation for those is, go to a good smoke shop and buy a cigar
that comes in an aluminum tube. The cigar tube will be even lighter and
is only slightly less effective in pumping your tire than is the AS-1!

Now, the AS-1s do have their uses. When patching tubes, they come in
handy for putting in air to find the puncture, and later for putting in
a bit of air so the tube holds its shape then re-mounting the tire.

They are also a nice size to put into a hydration system so that the
bladder is nicely ventilated and dries well.

It's not a mini, but THREE times now I've stopped to help out a stranger
with a pleading look and an AS-1 with my ancient Silca.

So, if you'll NOT have a frame pump, then get a CO2 inflator.