Best road tires for commuting

davega1

Sep 11, 2006
I am looking for a 'bullet proof' reccomendation for commuting tires on my road bike. I commute 28 miles each way through suburban/urban landsacape, most with seom sidewalks and berms where i can pick up road crud. I am looking for something that is not dog slow or heavily treaded so that my avg mph is dropped (it is 28 miles after all and I have to be in work on time), but I also have to deal with occasional rain here in Atlanta. Let me know if y'all have ideas on tire/tube/skin combination that would work without weighing 10 lbs.

No such thing has "bullet proof".

Choose a tyre with kevlar carcus and a puncture protective layer. Also go for a wider tyre, as you can run a lower pressure.

Bontrager Race X Lite Hardcase are a great fast commuter and training tire in my experience.

I use the Conti Gatorskin for commuting. I do a lot of winter riding with road grit and potholes. I change them based on the cuts, not the wear. When I get cuts that to go to the kevlar, at the end of that season, I change them.

My vote is for Specialized Armadillos. Maybe not the plushest ride, but they sure are durable. Great on the indoor trainer also.

davega1 said:
I am looking for a 'bullet proof' reccomendation for commuting tires on my road bike. I commute 28 miles each way through suburban/urban landsacape, most with seom sidewalks and berms where i can pick up road crud. I am looking for something that is not dog slow or heavily treaded so that my avg mph is dropped (it is 28 miles after all and I have to be in work on time), but I also have to deal with occasional rain here in Atlanta. Let me know if y'all have ideas on tire/tube/skin combination that would work without weighing 10 lbs.
Hi, try these " Flat Free Tires "www.flatfreeusa.com, go totire products and to bicycle tires,:cool: Musher

If you want "bullet proof" go with the Specialized 'Armadillos. They come with a weight penalty, but it's not bad. Probably the most durable road tire out there.

That said, I used the Conti 'Gatorskins' on my commute for years. Lot lighter than the Armadillos and very "flat resistant" too with it's kevlar belt. Another good commuter tire is the Conti 'four seasons', or the Michelin 'Carbons'. Here lately I've been using the Continental 'Ultra 2000' tires on my nightly 14 mile commute and they wear a little longer than the 'Gatorskins' and seem to be just as reliable IMO. They are cheaper too.

I had some Armadillos. Great tire. Never flatted, but a bit heavy. (if weight is a concern to you).
After I started commuting full-time (16 miles RT), my LBS suggested Serfas Drifters. Much smoother ride (less tread) and in the year or so I 've had them, still no flats.
PS: The last half mile of my ride is my gravel driveway through the woods. They still hold up well, although the lack of tread makes them tricky to ride with any speed on my very long, very hilly driveway.

DesFlurane said:
Another vote for Armadillo.
Count me in for Michelin Carbon. The one I have on the front wheel on my bike seems near indestructible, although it is now showing signs of the sidewall bulging here and there (too much slamming into potholes I suspect).

Avoid the Vredestein Volante at all costs unless you like fixing punctures in the rain. Plus it's ugly. NEVER buy tyres just because they are cheap
mad.gif

cheers,

dave.