Best road tyres for...???

arthurbike20

Aug 22, 2006
wet conditions. i am a very enthusiastic rider and i was wondering if any one had any good recomendations of the types of tyres i should consider for my road bike (Scott Speed Setter). thank you for your help :)

Grandtrek PT9000

PT9000120.jpg

arthurbike20 said:
wet conditions. i am a very enthusiastic rider and i was wondering if any one had any good recomendations of the types of tyres i should consider for my road bike (Scott Speed Setter). thank you for your help :)
Vittoria has the Open Pave, which is 700x24 and works very well in the rain if you are looking for performance.

ok thank you very much, are there any other types eaiter or have you had a good outcome from them?

arthurbike20 said:
ok thank you very much, are there any other types eaiter or have you had a good outcome from them?
The Vittoria Open Pave have worked quite well for me. Again, these are more for performance, I have never had a flat with them, but with Vittoria Open Corsa I get flats constantly. Not sure if the Open Pave has more flat protection or not.
For training I use the Michelin Krylion Carbon and it seems to work quite well in the rain as well. A good mix of durability and performance, it rolls smoothly and does not get flats. The Continental Gatorskin tire performs nicely and I had no problems in wet weather either with grip. Very few flats either.
Personally I found Hutchinson Fusion tires work well until it rains, then the flats occur constantly. I had two flats in 10 minutes on a tire in the rain, and in completely different locations on the tire. :mad:

continental ultra gatorskins are an excellent winter tyre, great grip and great durability. gp 4000's are also good with even better puncture resistance but cost a bit more

That was my attempt at humour... I'm still practicing...

Bjarne Riis in overcoming says '...you gotta overtighten a nut 10 times before really knowing how tight is too tight' and I think, do you have to come off in the rain going round a corner 10 times to really know a tyre's limits?

Being a motorcycle rider from the past, I have no problems pushing the limits on a road bicycle in the dry, but come wet weather, I'm super cautious...

fauxpas said:

Don't worry faux, I got it...it was funny...

"I love riding in the Rain", now there's a sentence I never thought I'd say because I'm from England and suffered riding my Bike from the age of 9-16 too and from School etc in all kinds of weather...I live in SoCal now, a few months ago I got caught in heavy rain half way through a ride, it felt so good I added an extra hour to my ride...the only part I don't like that much is when my Sidi's fill up with water....

But I agree, one has to be super carefull, in my Book there's no such thing as a skinny Rain Tire...lean too far in a corned and you'll be off like a Prom Dress!! Do it on a painted line and you'll be off even quicker...and contary to marketing hype, treaded Tires don't help either, they only give you less Rubber contact...the problem is, water is a natural lubricant of Rubber...another reason we tend to get more Punctures in Car Tires when it rains...it's not a coincidence....

fauxpas said:

Bjarne Riis in overcoming says '...you gotta overtighten a nut 10 times before really knowing how tight is too tight' and I think, do you have to come off in the rain going round a corner 10 times to really know a tyre's limits?

Being a motorcycle rider from the past, I have no problems pushing the limits on a road bicycle in the dry, but come wet weather, I'm super cautious...
Too dry...

when eddy ruled said:
Continental Ultra GatorSkins are an excellent winter tyre, great grip and great durability. GP 4000's are also good with even better puncture resistance but cost a bit more
Agree 100% :D

fauxpas said:

What did you used to ride (motorcycle)?

when eddy ruled said:
continental ultra gatorskins are an excellent winter tyre, great grip and great durability. gp 4000's are also good with even better puncture resistance but cost a bit more
DO GP4000's really have better puncture resistance than Gatorskins?

li0scc0 said:
Um, fruitcake, wrong forum. This is regarding bicycles, not cars.
Faux Pas, you should'nt take the **** so much, the other forums members don't understand.

Continental GP 4000 with the new vectran belt would have very good protection, in 2800km not one puncture for me. Have been using latex tubes though. Riding in the rain, I lower tire pressure and brake earlier.

kleng said:
Faux Pas, you should'nt take the **** so much, the other forums members don't understand.

Continental GP 4000 with the new vectran belt would have very good protection, in 2800km not one puncture for me. Have been using latex tubes though. Riding in the rain, I lower tire pressure and brake earlier.

I have the Continental GP4000's I like em. Funny thing though tyres, I have 2500 miles on a set of low end (so called rubbish) Bontradger tires, no punctures. I switched to GP's and got two punctures in the next 500 miles. No punctures on them since though. At the end of the day when it comes to punctures it's seems a lot of it is down to luck and paying attention to the road!

kleng said:
note: All the ones that didn't get it must be German...;)

fauxpas said:
note: All the ones that didn't get it must be German...;)

Oooo, dangerously none PC..........

I though it was funny and anyhow, they would make a rather excellent set of training wheels.

Mwahaha... I love ze germans... Michael Schumacher and now Stefan Schumacher... for smashing Hincapie...