Best road wheels for fast club rides

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Scott, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    What are the best low spoke count road wheels for fast club rides for around 200 per pair? I'm
    considering

    Performance Advanta Gipiemmie Technostar 024 Gipiemmie Monolith 024

    I weigh 160 pounds, and ride in Wisconsin, where it is very flat, so the weight of the wheel means
    less to me than the aerodynamics and low spoke count. I've had good luck with Gipimmie in the past,
    but I am tempted to try the performance wheels because they are lighter and have fewer spokes. Does
    anyone any experience with the performance Advanta wheels?

    Scott

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    <Scott> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What are the best low spoke count road wheels for fast club rides for around 200 per pair? I'm
    > considering

    I like Mavic Cosmos wheels for training, fast or slow (and racing for that matter). They're in that
    price range, are fairly light and have pretty low maintenence.

    OK so they're not low spoke wheels, but I guess you could always remove a few if you wanted.

    Jeff

  3. Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

    > <Scott> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >> What are the best low spoke count road wheels for fast club rides for around 200 per pair? I'm
    >> considering
    >>
    > I like Mavic Cosmos wheels for training, fast or slow (and racing for that matter). They're in
    > that price range, are fairly light and have pretty low maintenence.

    The Cosmos probably isn't particularly aero, and at least isn't light (1800 grams a pair without
    skewers). A hand-built wheel in the same price range would be lighter, perhaps a tiny bit less aero
    and more durable and serviceable. For training a better deal in almost every way.

    The Gipiemmes look like they might be very slightly more aero with four spokes less in the rear and
    a slightly higher rim, but they're even heavier. I fail to see why anybody would choose those over a
    good hand-built wheel in the same price range. Spokes, rims and hubs are available in different
    colours, so you can give hand-built wheels the same boutique look if you need to.

    -as