best roadie under $2000

ilovestacy

Jan 23, 2005
Hey yall i am looking for a new roadie. only have 2g's to spend and am currently looking for a race worthy bike. i am about 190 lbs and want something durable. is dura-ace out? i am looking at a felt f55 or a burley. what else is out there. thanks. oh yeah i would like it light i.e. under 17.5 lbs. thanks.-pc

ilovestacy said:
buehler......buehler......anybody?
I'm sure you know there is a lot out there. All the major brands have lots of road bikes to offer under $2000. Suggest you check out and test ride everything at your LBS dealers that appeals to you for starters. Shopping and test riding to find the bike that appeals to you the most is the best way to cut through all the hype. Plus, it's fun and educational.

Personally, I'd not worry about DA components and "under 17.5 lbs" at this price range if you want something durable. I'd look for the bike with the best fit and ride/handling feel on your test ride....and the best quality wheelset.

ilovestacy said:
Hey yall i am looking for a new roadie. only have 2g's to spend and am currently looking for a race worthy bike. i am about 190 lbs and want something durable. is dura-ace out? i am looking at a felt f55 or a burley. what else is out there. thanks. oh yeah i would like it light i.e. under 17.5 lbs. thanks.-pc

I started out saying that I was going to spend $2000 on a bike, but it seemed to me that most bikes were priced <$1800 or >$2200 and there wasn't a lot of choices right at $2000. I ended up spending a little more. $2400 actually, but anyhow.

Check out the Orbea Mitis, Trek 5000, Cdale 1000, Specialized Roubaix Elite, Bianchi Virata, and the Giant TCR composite 2. The only one of these that will have D-ace is the Felt. Also at your size, get some thing that has heavy duty wheels like the Mavic K-Elites, the velomax wheels like those on the Felt 55, or a 32 spoke custom built wheel and shy away from wheels with less than 20 spokes.