best route from Albury to Merimbula ?

AndrewJ

Guest
Any suggestions for the best route to ride from Albury to Merimbula?

I'm not in a hurry, prefer quiet roads to highways. Have studied all
the maps I can, and it seems I have to go either a long way North or a
long way South.

Many thanks in advance (yes, I've noticed there are mountains there,
quite happy to ride up and down a bit :) )

On 20 Mar 2007 16:26:52 -0700, "AndrewJ"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Any suggestions for the best route to ride from Albury to Merimbula?
>
>I'm not in a hurry, prefer quiet roads to highways. Have studied all
>the maps I can, and it seems I have to go either a long way North or a
>long way South.
>
>Many thanks in advance (yes, I've noticed there are mountains there,
>quite happy to ride up and down a bit :) )

What sort of bike? Can you handle a bit of the rough stuff?

I'm thinking Albury - over the dam wall into vic at Bonegilla -
Tallangatta - Corryong - Khancoban - Geehi - Tom Groggin - Thredbo -
Jindabyne - Cooma - Nimmitabel - Bega - head towards Tathra and take
the back road to Merimbula.

Alternative route is to turn right in Jindabyne and head towards
Dalgety - Maffra - Nimmitabel and then on to Bega. Lots of dirt
between Jindabyne and Beloka last time I was there.

Geehi and Tom Groggin are just places on the map. But there's always
been water in Leatherbarrel Creek between Tom Groggin and Dead Horse
Gap whenever I've been through.

Big climb from Tom Groggin to Dead Horse Gap. The sign at the other
end used to say something like "Steep, narrow, winding, slippery dirt
road for 43 km" but they've done some work since then.

Caution. I've never ridden this way. I've done it in a car many times,
but not for a few years. There were occasional logging trucks between
Tallangatta and Corryong. After you've turned right to go to
Khancoban, you soon go over the NSW border. Narrow, **** roads until
Khancoban. After that you do some good climbing on the old roads that
were built for the Snowy River Hydro project. There's a few Kms where
you might get sconned by a falling boulder. But the scenery is
magnificent.

--
Regards.
Richard.

"AndrewJ" wrote:

> Any suggestions for the best route to ride from Albury to Merimbula?
>
> I'm not in a hurry, prefer quiet roads to highways. Have studied all
> the maps I can, and it seems I have to go either a long way North or a
> long way South.

From Albury there is a great route towards Corryong following the Murray.
Head out of Albury towards the Hume Weir on the NSW side and cross the lake
via the Bethanga Bridge into Victoria, then turn left on the Talgarno Rd
towards Granya. For a very quiet route on gravel there is a vehicle ferry at
Wymah that takes you back into NSW where you ride via Jingellic to
Tintaldra, but here will be very few supplies along this road - a pub at
Jingellic I think. Otherwise stay in Victoria. turn into Granya wher there
is very basic camping at the footy ground. Follow the Murray River Rd along
the lake and river to Walwa ( a lovely little town) and on past Pine
Mountain to Tintaldra. When we were here the camping ground was closed due
to some business dispute, but there is a lovely B&B at the old post office.

From here take the main road to Towong, turn left towards the river then
right before the bridge on the Towong Hill Rd. This road actually avoids
most of a pretty large hill. Cottyong is a side route from here but nothing
special really, you should be able to get food and supplies at Khancoban.
Whatever you do, do not take the road from Tintaldra on the NSW side to
Khancoban. It is all open pasture country with three big mothers of hills!!

From Khancoban you can either go through Thredbo to Jindabyne - very steep
climbing up Dead Horse Gap, but at least it's all sealed now, (take the Back
Creek Rd from near Murray 2 power station , over the Geehi Wallsto Geehi if
you like a rough bush forest road). Or elase go via Cabramurra, Kiandra,
Adaminaby to Cooma. This involves a similar height to climb, but not quite
as steep, and you could include a visit to Yarrangobilly Caves. I don't know
much about the area beyond Cooma, but when you are descending the ranges
through Bemboka consider turning right through Candelo rather than going to
Bega. This little town is a real historic village a la Maldon, Hill End.

Whichever route you choose, have a great trip. There is plenty of good
cycling country in this area

On Mar 21, 7:16 pm, "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "AndrewJ" wrote:
> > Any suggestions for the best route to ride from Albury to Merimbula?

> > I'm not in a hurry, prefer quiet roads to highways. Have studied all
> > the maps I can, and it seems I have to go either a long way North or a
> > long way South.

> From Albury there is a great route towards Corryong following the Murray.
> Head out of Albury towards the Hume Weir on the NSW side and cross the lake
> via the Bethanga Bridge into Victoria, then turn left on the Talgarno Rd
> towards Granya. For a very quiet route on gravel there is a vehicle ferry at
> Wymah that takes you back into NSW where you ride via Jingellic to
> Tintaldra, but here will be very few supplies along this road - a pub at
> Jingellic I think. Otherwise stay in Victoria. turn into Granya wher there
> is very basic camping at the footy ground. Follow the Murray River Rd along
> the lake and river to Walwa ( a lovely little town) and on past Pine
> Mountain to Tintaldra. When we were here the camping ground was closed due
> to some business dispute, but there is a lovely B&B at the old post office.
>
> From here take the main road to Towong, turn left towards the river then
> right before the bridge on the Towong Hill Rd. This road actually avoids
> most of a pretty large hill. Cottyong is a side route from here but nothing
> special really, you should be able to get food and supplies at Khancoban.
> Whatever you do, do not take the road from Tintaldra on the NSW side to
> Khancoban. It is all open pasture country with three big mothers of hills!!
>
> From Khancoban you can either go through Thredbo to Jindabyne - very steep
> climbing up Dead Horse Gap, but at least it's all sealed now, (take the Back
> Creek Rd from near Murray 2 power station , over the Geehi Wallsto Geehi if
> you like a rough bush forest road). Or elase go via Cabramurra, Kiandra,
> Adaminaby to Cooma. This involves a similar height to climb, but not quite
> as steep, and you could include a visit to Yarrangobilly Caves. I don't know
> much about the area beyond Cooma, but when you are descending the ranges
> through Bemboka consider turning right through Candelo rather than going to
> Bega. This little town is a real historic village a la Maldon, Hill End.
>
> Whichever route you choose, have a great trip. There is plenty of good
> cycling country in this area

Many thanks for both suggestions. It shows that you need more than a
map to
find your way :) It'll be a month or two before I use these, but this
info has helped
enormously.

"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:p[email protected]...

> I'm thinking Albury - over the dam wall into vic at Bonegilla -
> Tallangatta - Corryong - Khancoban - Geehi - Tom Groggin - Thredbo -
> Jindabyne - Cooma - Nimmitabel - Bega - head towards Tathra and take
> the back road to Merimbula.

As alternatives, you can turn South just before Jindabyne and take the back
road through Dalgety, Maffra etc to Nimmitabel. A few km of dirt but it's
mostly very quiet sealed backroad. And at the foot of Brown Mtn, turn right
off the highway just past Bemboka and take the back roads through Candelo
and Pambula. I rode that way to Merimbula many years ago and it was a very
pleasant ride.

Nick

"AndrewJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any suggestions for the best route to ride from Albury to Merimbula?
>
> I'm not in a hurry, prefer quiet roads to highways. Have studied all
> the maps I can, and it seems I have to go either a long way North or a
> long way South.
>
> Many thanks in advance (yes, I've noticed there are mountains there,
> quite happy to ride up and down a bit :) )

At 3,000ft?