Best RX sunglasses

systecsol

Nov 29, 2003
Being using Oakley with RX M frames, for at least a decade, but the outer edge of the Plutonite holder’s spider and the RX fall out after a year, and my $350 shades are worthless.

Looking for other cyclist that has experience with RX sunglasses, preferably not ones that clip to the sunglass, but are integrated with them.

Originally posted by systecsol
Being using Oakley with RX M frames, for at least a decade, but the outer edge of the Plutonite holder’s spider and the RX fall out after a year, and my $350 shades are worthless.

Looking for other cyclist that has experience with RX sunglasses, preferably not ones that clip to the sunglass, but are integrated with them.

Not sure what you're asking exactly. I have a couple pairs of regular prescription sunglasses in wire frames which I've ridden with. The one I prefer has teardrop style wire frames with cable wire earpieces, so they are secure even when sweating. After about 10 years of riding, the gold finish is pretty much corroded off, but other than that they are fine.

Got a pair of Bolle Vigilante's with the RX insert last season so I could have full wraparound protection on the bike. These work well, and were only about $100....from WalMart.

Lot's of options around for RX sunglasses. The sport-specific glasses are probably safer, in terms of impact resistance and also the plastic frames if something big comes your way.

Originally posted by dhk
Not sure what you're asking exactly. I have a couple pairs of regular prescription sunglasses in wire frames which I've ridden with. The one I prefer has teardrop style wire frames with cable wire earpieces, so they are secure even when sweating. After about 10 years of riding, the gold finish is pretty much corroded off, but other than that they are fine.

Got a pair of Bolle Vigilante's with the RX insert last season so I could have full wraparound protection on the bike. These work well, and were only about $100....from WalMart.

Lot's of options around for RX sunglasses. The sport-specific glasses are probably safer, in terms of impact resistance and also the plastic frames if something big comes your way.

Thank you dhk for your input. Do you remember the name of the glasses that you rode with for 10 years. I've discovered that most RX sunglasses are two (2) frames, the great thing about the Oakleys was that it was one piece, put they don't go the distance.

You could check out "Rudy Project" Sunglasses. I'm not sure of their availability in the States, but they have an Rx insert that goes on the inside. You can barely see that there's anyhing there from the outside. Then....If you decide to go with contacts, you can simply remove the insert and put it back in when you need it next. It seems like a pretty good system to me.....

Originally posted by systecsol
Thank you dhk for your input. Do you remember the name of the glasses that you rode with for 10 years. I've discovered that most RX sunglasses are two (2) frames, the great thing about the Oakleys was that it was one piece, put they don't go the distance.

Agree one frame and set of lenses is better than two...for ease of cleaning if nothing else. The teardrop style with cable earpiece is a wire frame from a regular eyeglass store. The left temple piece is engraved with "Schoenherr" on the inside. I'm sure you can get something similar.

Also have a 35 year-old pair of wire framed B&L Rayban aviator with the cable temples. These are "1/20 gold-filled", which is a heavier gold plating. Not sure these are still available, but Rayban's Rx sunglasses are always good. I think the Wayfarer black plastic frames would work fine on the bike and be retro-cool....but I have no idea what's in style!

The Performance Bike Rx Glasses -- a low-priced knock off of the Oakley MFrame -- are not well made. Two Rx inserts have broken in the last six months. Very disappointing.

Am looking at either the Bolle Vigilante, or even the Oakley.

Must have an Rx to see properly, so it's been quite a search.

Dave

I use Rudy Project Kerosene with RX clipons. They're great. They're way cheaper than Oakley's without sacrificing quality. They're easy to find here in the Philippines. For dealers in your countries check out www.rudyproject.com

If it were my money, I wouldn't waste it on Oakley. I've worked at several optical shops and was a lab manager at a Pearle Vision. The quality of Oakley product is not up to par with other brands costing half the price. Little do most people know that to get your Rx Oakleys. it takes up to ten weeks!

That's pretty bad service. Most decent retailers can fit a Rx into a quality opthalmic frame for under $300.00 depending on Rx.

The best route in my book, is to find a zyl (plastic) frame with a lot of wrap. Find a polarized lens (brown polarized is a great tint for riding.) It makes scenery like grass and trees more vivid. Polycarbonate is the best choice for impact resistance. You wouldn't want a glass or plastic lens breaking if your hit by a stone while riding. (Though I wear glass, purely for optical clarity.

Backside anti-reflective coating is great to cut glare in combination with the polarized.

I would choose a well made frame from Rudy or Porsche, or Rayban, and choose the options I recommend above to fit your needs. Just avoid Oakley your paying for their marketing, not quality.
P.S. Their awesome "plutonite lens" that they claim is so special... standard polycarbonate lens blanks. About $3 wholesale. Think about it???

-Adam:confused:

Adam: Great info and advice, thanks. Have to ask you though why a good pair of perscription sunglasses should cost upwards of $300. The wholesale cost of the plastic frames and lenses isn't more than $50, is it? Even if it takes an hour to fit the lenses in the frame, and adjust to our heads, seems to me the optician and store is making a lot of profit. Can you comment please.

Originally posted by thedoctuh
If it were my money, I wouldn't waste it on Oakley. I've worked at several optical shops and was a lab manager at a Pearle Vision. The quality of Oakley product is not up to par with other brands costing half the price. Little do most people know that to get your Rx Oakleys. it takes up to ten weeks!

That's pretty bad service. Most decent retailers can fit a Rx into a quality opthalmic frame for under $300.00 depending on Rx.

The best route in my book, is to find a zyl (plastic) frame with a lot of wrap. Find a polarized lens (brown polarized is a great tint for riding.) It makes scenery like grass and trees more vivid. Polycarbonate is the best choice for impact resistance. You wouldn't want a glass or plastic lens breaking if your hit by a stone while riding. (Though I wear glass, purely for optical clarity.

Backside anti-reflective coating is great to cut glare in combination with the polarized.

I would choose a well made frame from Rudy or Porsche, or Rayban, and choose the options I recommend above to fit your needs. Just avoid Oakley your paying for their marketing, not quality.
P.S. Their awesome "plutonite lens" that they claim is so special... standard polycarbonate lens blanks. About $3 wholesale. Think about it???

-Adam:confused:

My neighbor is a optometrist and has offered to buy me glasses at cost, in fact he stated, "don't buy at retail." I'll check with Rayban or Rudy for a wrap around. Thanks again everyone

As for the $300.00 quote, maybe that was a little high. I was getting pretty into argument with myself ;)

The markup in optical is huge. Wholesale, most brand name

frames run about $25-45 at cost.
lens blanks for single vision polarized $15 at the most
a/r coat normally about $30.00 if sent elsewhere where they have equipment
So about $90.00 at cost. That's all premium brnads. You can get cheaper materials through some vendors, but this is just an example.

If you know people, and know what you want, there is no reason to pay full retail $300.00+
I would guess $150-220 would be in more cyclist realm. Look around.
Again, I find that the stuff from Rudy project really impressed me. For the money, I don't know if they can be beat. Their product is so cycling specific, it's hard to resist.
-Adam