Best shock to eliminate pedal bob?

Candt

Guest
Hi there guys and girls,

Later in the year on a trip to Canada, I'm thinking about replacing my Vanilla R Coil with a shock
offering some sort of pedal bob protection. At the moment, I've found the 5th Element and Manitou
SPV kind of fit the bill. I've ridden the Specialized 'Brain' once, on a test bike, but found it
locked at inoppurtune moments, but I suspect that might be because it wasn't tuned correctly for me
- but do those 2 offer better rides?

Do I have other choices?

But my main question is - what is the retail cost of my 2 picks (or any you might add), in any
Canadian bike store?

Cheers,

CandT

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Later in the year on a trip to Canada, I'm thinking about replacing my
Vanilla R
> Coil with a shock offering some sort of pedal bob protection. At the
moment,
> I've found the 5th Element and Manitou SPV kind of fit the bill. I've
ridden the
> Specialized 'Brain' once, on a test bike, but found it locked at
inoppurtune
> moments, but I suspect that might be because it wasn't tuned correctly for
me -
> but do those 2 offer better rides?
>
> Do I have other choices?
>
> But my main question is - what is the retail cost of my 2 picks (or any
you
> might add), in any Canadian bike store?

The bobbing that you get has a lot to do with the bike and type of suspension linkage that you are
using. Everybody has their own opinions about all linkage systems (ie. single-pivot, 4 bar, etc.). I
use a Fox Vanilla Coil RC on my Bullit and I get no bobbing. Jim uses a 5th Element on his Bullit
and he gets no bobbing either. Contact Fox and Progressive Suspension to get a dealer near you. We
have had great customer service dealings from both companies.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:11:34 -0500, J'm Sm'th <[email protected]> wrote:

>208V 2A

Ah - you've seen through my thinly veiled request on how to use electricity to dispatch Robert who
has cornered the pedal market here in the UK...

Thanks for the tip though - Bob's 'toast' - literally !!

Lets hope no idiot reply's thinking I was talking about rear shock absorbers eh!

CandT

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:29:39 -0400, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The bobbing that you get has a lot to do with the bike and type of suspension linkage that you are
>using. Everybody has their own opinions about all linkage systems (ie. single-pivot, 4 bar, etc.).
>I use a Fox Vanilla Coil RC on my Bullit and I get no bobbing. Jim uses a 5th Element on his Bullit
>and he gets no bobbing either. Contact Fox and Progressive Suspension to get a dealer near you. We
>have had great customer service dealings from both companies.
>
>- CA-G
>
>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Thanks Carla for the sensible reply ! I have a single pivot - almost exactly the same as the Heckler
(The make of my bike will be kept secret to protect my God given right to not have the **** taken
out of me)...

You've got the lockout version of the same shock as me - so how do I get more bob do you think,
especially standing up? I don't think my spring is too soft as the sag is just about right (maybe
even a little short)...

CandT

J'm says:

>208V 2A

416 Watts? What?

;-)

PS - the correct answer is "Go Rigid"

Stephen Baker wrote:

> J'm says:
>
> >208V 2A
>
> 416 Watts? What?
>
> ;-)
>
> PS - the correct answer is "Go Rigid"

After 416 Watts, you [and your Joules] go rigid.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

On 18 Jun 2003 14:14:04 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:
>;-)
>
>PS - the correct answer is "Go Rigid"

Don't say that - I've only just 'Gone Bouncy'... And am loving it !

I suppose another way of reducing bob would be to 'Go Clipless' and pedal in a nice circular motion
- but that doesnt help when you need to stand up and pump....

CandT

CandT wrote:

> Don't say that - I've only just 'Gone Bouncy'... And am loving it !
>
> I suppose another way of reducing bob would be to 'Go Clipless' and pedal in a nice circular
> motion - but that doesnt help when you need to stand up and pump....

Inadvertantly, you've just hit the nail on the head. You need to adapt your style to FS, not your FS
to your style. You have to learn to sit down and learn to spin with FS - getting out the saddle and
jumping on the pedals ain't going to work any more.

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:29:39 -0400, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> >The bobbing that you get has a lot to do with the bike and type of suspension linkage that you
> >are using. Everybody has their own opinions about all linkage systems (ie. single-pivot, 4 bar,
> >etc.). I use a Fox Vanilla Coil RC on my Bullit and I get no bobbing. Jim uses a 5th Element
on
> >his Bullit and he gets no bobbing either. Contact Fox and Progressive Suspension to get a dealer
> >near you. We have had great customer service dealings from both companies.
> >
> >- CA-G
> >
> >Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!
> >

> Thanks Carla for the sensible reply ! I have a single pivot - almost
exactly the
> same as the Heckler (The make of my bike will be kept secret to protect my
God
> given right to not have the **** taken out of me)...

Hows that ridgeback treating you? < just a guess>

Steve E.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:37:06 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

>Inadvertantly, you've just hit the nail on the head. You need to adapt your style to FS, not your
>FS to your style. You have to learn to sit down and learn to spin with FS - getting out the saddle
>and jumping on the pedals ain't going to work any more.

LOL - next you'll be saying I need to get fit, wear a helmet, and go riding more than once a
month !...

oh....bugger....

:-(

CandT

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks Carla for the sensible reply ! I have a single pivot - almost
exactly the
> same as the Heckler (The make of my bike will be kept secret to protect my
God
> given right to not have the **** taken out of me)...

It doesn't matter what bike you ride...just ride...

> You've got the lockout version of the same shock as me - so how do I get
more
> bob do you think, especially standing up? I don't think my spring is too
soft as
> the sag is just about right (maybe even a little short)...

I don't have a lockout, its not an air shock, its coil, meant for taking the abuse of DHing.
Standing up will create more bob because your torquing harder on the pedals. Sitting and spinning
will make you more efficient on the climbs and lessen the bobbing that you experience. You might
need to adapt your riding style to your bike.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:56:19 +0100, "spademan o---[\) *" >
>Hows that ridgeback treating you? < just a guess>
>
>Steve E.

No cigar....

;-)

CandT

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:56:19 +0100, "spademan o---[\) *" >
> >Hows that ridgeback treating you? < just a guess>
> >
> >Steve E.
> >

> No cigar....
>
> ;-)
>
> CandT

aha, bit of research and I should ask - what did you setle for, X3 or X2?

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:20:28 -0400, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I don't have a lockout, its not an air shock, its coil, meant for taking the abuse of DHing.
>Standing up will create more bob because your torquing harder on the pedals. Sitting and spinning
>will make you more efficient on the climbs and lessen the bobbing that you experience. You might
>need to adapt your riding style to your bike.
>
>- CA-G
>
>Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

My mistake Carla - RC not RL - my apologies... So you'd recommend spending the money on clipless
pedals and a pair of shoes - rather than a new shock then?

Does the compression damping of your shock help at all then? Or is that just to stop using all the
travel as easily?

CandT

RE/

>Later in the year on a trip to Canada, I'm thinking about replacing my Vanilla R Coil with a shock
>offering some sort of pedal bob protection.

Ping me in sometime after July 15th.... Ordered a Romic couple weeks ago w/"4-5 week wait time"
per retailer. Going out of town first 2 weeks in July...so I'm hoping to find it on my doorstep
when I get back.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:20:28 -0400, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> My mistake Carla - RC not RL - my apologies... So you'd recommend spending
the
> money on clipless pedals and a pair of shoes - rather than a new shock
then?

It will definitely be cheaper too...

> Does the compression damping of your shock help at all then? Or is that
just to
> stop using all the travel as easily?

Mine is a double clicker, it allows for adjustment of both the compression damping and rebound
damping. It does help and its easy to set up. Look on Fox's site for info. If you're looking to get
a 5th Element, be aware that you need a science degree to set that thing up properly, it took us all
night to set up Jim's bike when he first got it, but now that its set up, its like riding the bike
on fluffy clouds.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hehe - a dozen of Cuba's finest to that man...

You are only allowed a box of Montecristo's if you are a first time purchaser of a Marzocchi...

- CA-G so send him a box of Dominican Republic's finest...

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

CandT wrote:
> On 18 Jun 2003 14:14:04 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:
>
>>;-)
>>
>>PS - the correct answer is "Go Rigid"
>>

> Don't say that - I've only just 'Gone Bouncy'... And am loving it !
>
> I suppose another way of reducing bob would be to 'Go Clipless' and pedal in a nice circular
> motion - but that doesnt help when you need to stand up and pump....

Or, you need to get strong enough so that you don't need to stand and pump :).

David