Best shock to eliminate pedal bob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> RE/
> >
> >Later in the year on a trip to Canada, I'm thinking about replacing my Vanilla R Coil with a
> >shock offering some sort of pedal bob protection.
>
> Ping me in sometime after July 15th.... Ordered a Romic couple weeks ago w/"4-5 week wait time"
> per retailer. Going out of town first 2 weeks in July...so I'm hoping to find it on my doorstep
> when I get back.
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell

4-5 wks.....good luck! I hear they're disgustingly backed-up right now and I need a new spring.
--
Slacker

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 13:06:13 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi there guys and girls,

Hello

>
>Later in the year on a trip to Canada, I'm thinking about replacing my Vanilla R Coil with a shock
>offering some sort of pedal bob protection. At the moment, I've found the 5th Element and Manitou
>SPV kind of fit the bill. I've ridden the Specialized 'Brain' once, on a test bike, but found it
>locked at inoppurtune moments, but I suspect that might be because it wasn't tuned correctly for me
>- but do those 2 offer better rides?

Feck all that nonsense! Don't you see how hideously absurd this is?! TBF did a nice review of the
"Epic Brain" or some other dumb **** please check out his post.

If you really feel the need to eliminate "pedal bob" go with a hardtail or a fully rigid machine.
Trust me 99% of riders don't need that ****! And don't go tellin' me you're in that 1% who
does...I'm not buying it.

>
>Do I have other choices?

Yes, choose to use your brain and not some hyped up Epic Specialized Brain....for MV sake get a
grip, hold on to what is left of reality.

>
>But my main question is - what is the retail cost of my 2 picks (or any you might add), in any
>Canadian bike store?

You actually had a main question?
>
>Cheers,

To what? Cheers to what?...I don't get it, did I miss something?

>
>CandT

You're the man Charles, make a choice that you'll live with. I hope when you make that choice you
hear my rant in the back of your mind, and just maybe, just maybe you'll come to. You'll come out of
that voodoo spell that the marketers have cast on you. You'll wake up puking all the BS you've been
force fed over the years. You'll wake up satisfied. You'll wake up.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:48:34 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>If you really feel the need to eliminate "pedal bob" go with a hardtail or a fully rigid machine.
>Trust me 99% of riders don't need that ****! And don't go tellin' me you're in that 1% who
>does...I'm not buying it.
>
I have a hardtail - I have had it for years, and now I have a FS too, and guess what, I PREFER IT -
thats it - no marketing bollox, no hype, I rode some test bikes and I LIKED IT BETTER.

>>
>>Do I have other choices?
>
>Yes, choose to use your brain and not some hyped up Epic Specialized Brain....for MV sake get a
>grip, hold on to what is left of reality.
>
Like I said - I was less than impressed with the Brain.
>>
>>
>>Cheers,
>
>To what? Cheers to what?...I don't get it, did I miss something?
>
"Cheers" is one of the ways of saying 'Later' or 'See Ya', here in the UK.
>>
>>CandT
>
>You're the man Charles, make a choice that you'll live with. I hope when you make that choice you
>hear my rant in the back of your mind,

I'm sure it'll keep me awake at night

To be honest I wasn't going to reply to this post, but after I read it again, I realised how annoyed
I was at having someone I don't know tell me to 'get a grip'.

But after writing it, and going to the garage and stroking my Vanilla for five minutes, I've calmed
down a bit. Yep - thats right everyone - a rear shock can also affect your MOOD!!!! And I think - if
we give them a chance - rear shocks might just bring us that world peace we're all desperate for.
Honest.... Well - thats what it said in MBUK magazine...

CandT

"CandT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:34:10 +0100, "spademan o---[\) *"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >aha, bit of research and I should ask - what did you setle for, X3 or X2?
> >
>
> hehe - a dozen of Cuba's finest to that man...
>
> ;-)
>
> (X3 shhh - son't spread it around)...
>
> CandT

Nice, I think the better choice given the shock and hydrulic discs.

Steve E.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:13:08 +0100, "spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>Nice, I think the better choice given the shock and hydrulic discs.
>
>Steve E.
>

What - you mean I can come out of the closet and admit I own a H-A-R-O ? And not be berated for it?

You're right about the discs - to be honest - they've probably improved the fun of riding a shade
more than having the extra bounce... So nice knowing you can go as quickly or as slowly down a muddy
bank as you like - with no risk of locking the wheels, but having just the right amount of
braking/rolling...

CandT

"CandT" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> What - you mean I can come out of the closet and admit I own a H-A-R-O ?
And not
> be berated for it?
>

Well, you are not alone here. I own a 98' V3 hardtail (steel frame). It is an entry level bike, but
one that has served well for many years. Haro makes a good bike and IMHO they are underrated. I
think this is just because they do not make a NRS/Fuel100/S-Works class high end bike. But from
Haro's website, I get the feeling they like it this way: "They mocked our bent top tube, but now
everyone is doing it", or something to that effect.

> You're right about the discs - to be honest - they've probably improved
the fun
> of riding a shade more than having the extra bounce... So nice knowing you
can
> go as quickly or as slowly down a muddy bank as you like - with no risk of locking the wheels, but
> having just the right amount of braking/rolling...
>

The best two things about disc are the one finger braking and the fact that the braking is weather
independent.

-Dave

Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> CandT says:
>
> >I suppose another way of reducing bob would be to 'Go Clipless' and pedal
in
> >a nice circular motion -
>
> Would be - except I'm looking at the heading and reading "eliminate" bob ....................
>
> OK - I'll shut up now ;-P
>
> Steve

I must admit, I first looked at the title and thought: "Bob has a serious heart condition?!?!?!?"
Then I thought: "Poor old Bob!", and then, after that, I thought: "Who TF is Bob anyway?!?!?", then
I had a nice lie down.........

Shaun aRe - If you go different places over the year, YMMV.

CandT <[email protected]> wrote:

>To be honest I wasn't going to reply to this post, but after I read it again, I realised how
>annoyed I was at having someone I don't know tell me to 'get a grip'.

Relax. Wheeler is the guy who for months foamed at the mouth that disc brakes were a huge marketing
ploy before he actually tried them and figured out they were superior to rims. Then he became an
advocate. Next, he built up a SS and jumped all over that bandwagon, and the number of posts he made
extolling SS virtues was exceeded only by Vandeman trolls.

So, It's only a matter of time before he starts using a dualie and figures out they are way to go
for *most* conditions. Then we'll see a few hundred threads started by him debating the relative
merits of reducing bob and increasing efficiency through stable platform, VPP, Smart Shock, 5th
Element Air, etc. Get ready. --dt

RE/
>Trust me 99% of riders don't need that ****! And don't go tellin' me you're in that 1% who
>does...I'm not buying it.

IMHO you've gotta have and ride both to have a valid opinion on that one.

I'm glad I have my hardtail and when I ride it I enjoy it...and it's definately helped my
riding....but after a couple hours on uneven terrain, there's just no comparison between how my bod
feels....the FS wins hands down.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

Who's Pedal Bob and why do you want him eliminated?

Bill "handshake buzzer" S.

(OK, I'm killing time here!)

(Pete Cresswell) <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> RE/
> >Trust me 99% of riders don't need that ****! And don't go tellin' me you're in that 1% who
> >does...I'm not buying it.
>
> IMHO you've gotta have and ride both to have a valid opinion on that one.
>
> I'm glad I have my hardtail and when I ride it I enjoy it...and it's definately helped my
> riding....but after a couple hours on uneven terrain, there's just no comparison between how my
> bod feels....the FS wins hands down.
> -----------------------
> PeteCresswell
>

climbing, HT hands down. flats and most terrain, again, HT. but IMO, roots and rocks are better
handled with a FS, mainly because you can ride it out in the saddle while maintaining the shape of
your tailbone.

I think a FS IME was a little less prone to skid outs in turns. I find with a HT i am fixing a lot
more barney tracks on the tight turns that i could ride through at speed on a FS.

The only think i miss with a HT is the option of an occasional drop. but other than that, i like it.
my climbing ability is quite a bit better (may be the weight difference too).

But like Pete said, after a long ride on uneven terrain, my seat/body junction point notices it a
lot more. on the FS, i could ride for about 35 miles before my **** would get sore, now, if i get 8
miles without a sore bum i feel lucky.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:30:51 GMT, CandT <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>But after writing it, and going to the garage and stroking my Vanilla for five minutes, I've calmed
>down a bit. Yep - thats right everyone - a rear shock can also affect your MOOD!!!! And I think -
>if we give them a chance - rear shocks might just bring us that world peace we're all desperate
>for. Honest.... Well - thats what it said in MBUK magazine...
>
>CandT

Ride safe with that thing.

Peace, Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:54:38 -0400, Doug Taylor <[email protected]> wrote:

>CandT <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>To be honest I wasn't going to reply to this post, but after I read it again, I realised how
>>annoyed I was at having someone I don't know tell me to 'get a grip'.
>
>Relax. Wheeler is the guy who for months foamed at the mouth that disc brakes were a huge marketing
>ploy before he actually tried them and figured out they were superior to rims. Then he became an
>advocate. Next, he built up a SS and jumped all over that bandwagon, and the number of posts he
>made extolling SS virtues was exceeded only by Vandeman trolls.

Ahh, a comparison to MV. Now that is truly interesting. True about the disc though. I have to admit
I was a complete doofus, crow eating, ******* on that one.......Definitely one of my many low
points in AMB

But you're killin me about jumping on the SS bandwagon. I actually got it (not built it) as a
trainer, then I realized that SS is the only true way to mountain bike.

>
>So, It's only a matter of time before he starts using a dualie and figures out they are way to go
>for *most* conditions. Then we'll see a few hundred threads started by him debating the relative
>merits of reducing bob and increasing efficiency through stable platform, VPP, Smart Shock, 5th
>Element Air, etc. Get ready. --dt

One never knows what I'll do next...not even me. But chances are I'll never go FS never ha, ha,
haaaaaaaa!

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:52:45 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Who's Pedal Bob and why do you want him eliminated?
>
>Bill "handshake buzzer" S.
>
>(OK, I'm killing time here!)
>

I was just thinking you finally made me laugh. "Who's Peda Bob and why do you want him
eliminate?"....D'oh!

Well I'll tell you who Pedal Bob is.

He's fictional character that was invented by a bunch hype (FS Hype) If there was not FS hype
there'd by no Pedal Bob. Watch me now I'm on to something.

Let's see

If there was no FS there'd be No PB. If there was no PB I'd have no reason to post my drivel. If I
didn't post my drivel nobody would get ******. If nobody got ****** everyone would be happy. If
everybody would be happy there'd be no sadness.

Holy ****! don't you see that must mean FS bikes lead to sadness! OH MY GAWD! If found the solution
to all the sadness in the world. Get rid of all the FS bikes!!! Do it now before it's too late.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:03:46 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

>RE/
>>Trust me 99% of riders don't need that ****! And don't go tellin' me you're in that 1% who
>>does...I'm not buying it.
>
>IMHO you've gotta have and ride both to have a valid opinion on that one.
>
>I'm glad I have my hardtail and when I ride it I enjoy it...and it's definately helped my
>riding....but after a couple hours on uneven terrain, there's just no comparison between how my bod
>feels....the FS wins hands down.
>-----------------------
>PeteCresswell

You have a valid opinion and a valid point......But don't you see that's not my game.

I'm hell fire and brimstone on the rigid SS whether or not a FS multi-speed may be better.

I submit to you Pete that riding a rigid SS is back to the basics, skill building, pure
joy.....nothing compares....nothing. Where's the challenge in working a rock garden on an FS? Now
work that same rock garden on a rigid SS and you're in nirvana!

Peace, Bill(SS forever)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a
reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
the world.

Bill Wheeler thoughtfully penned:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:52:45 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Who's Pedal Bob and why do you want him eliminated?
>>
>> Bill "handshake buzzer" S.
>>
>> (OK, I'm killing time here!)
>>
>
> I was just thinking you finally made me laugh. "Who's Peda Bob and why do you want him
> eliminate?"....D'oh!
>
> Well I'll tell you who Pedal Bob is.
>
> He's fictional character that was invented by a bunch hype (FS Hype) If there was not FS hype
> there'd by no Pedal Bob. Watch me now I'm on to something.
>
> Let's see
>
> If there was no FS there'd be No PB. If there was no PB I'd have no reason to post my drivel. If I
> didn't post my drivel nobody would get ******. If nobody got ****** everyone would be happy. If
> everybody would be happy there'd be no sadness.
>
> Holy ****! don't you see that must mean FS bikes lead to sadness! OH MY GAWD! If found the
> solution to all the sadness in the world. Get rid of all the FS bikes!!! Do it now before it's
> too late.
>

jeez Bill... would you go find some reality TV to watch or something?

penny

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:43:21 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:03:46 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>RE/
>>>Trust me 99% of riders don't need that ****! And don't go tellin' me you're in that 1% who
>>>does...I'm not buying it.
>>
>>IMHO you've gotta have and ride both to have a valid opinion on that one.
>>
>>I'm glad I have my hardtail and when I ride it I enjoy it...and it's definately helped my
>>riding....but after a couple hours on uneven terrain, there's just no comparison between how my
>>bod feels....the FS wins hands down.
>>-----------------------
>>PeteCresswell
>
>You have a valid opinion and a valid point......But don't you see that's not my game.
>
>I'm hell fire and brimstone on the rigid SS whether or not a FS multi-speed may be better.
>
>I submit to you Pete that riding a rigid SS is back to the basics, skill building, pure
>joy.....nothing compares....nothing. Where's the challenge in working a rock garden on an FS? Now
>work that same rock garden on a rigid SS and you're in nirvana!
>
>
>Peace, Bill(SS forever)Wheeler The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a
>reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
>the world.
>:-]

Take to ALT-ADULT-BMX would ya.

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:58:25 -0400, Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:52:45 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Who's Pedal Bob and why do you want him eliminated?
>>
>>Bill "handshake buzzer" S.
>>
>>(OK, I'm killing time here!)

And the rest of us as well....whew, that one stunk up the place!
>>
>
>I was just thinking you finally made me laugh. "Who's Peda Bob and why do you want him
>eliminate?"....D'oh!
>
>Well I'll tell you who Pedal Bob is.
>
>He's fictional character that was invented by a bunch hype (FS Hype) If there was not FS hype
>there'd by no Pedal Bob. Watch me now I'm on to something.
>
>Let's see
>
>If there was no FS there'd be No PB. If there was no PB I'd have no reason to post my drivel. If I
>didn't post my drivel nobody would get ******. If nobody got ****** everyone would be happy. If
>everybody would be happy there'd be no sadness.
>
>Holy ****! don't you see that must mean FS bikes lead to sadness! OH MY GAWD! If found the solution
>to all the sadness in the world. Get rid of all the FS bikes!!! Do it now before it's too late.
>
>
>Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
>mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
>:-]

But it is too late, the world is a SAD place, there's nothing your adult bmx style logic will do to
fix it either...but keep trying. ;-)

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> I was just thinking you finally made me laugh. "Who's Peda Bob and why do you want him
> eliminate?"....D'oh!
>
> Well I'll tell you who Pedal Bob is.
>
> He's fictional character that was invented by a bunch hype (FS Hype) If there was not FS hype
> there'd by no Pedal Bob. Watch me now I'm on to something.
>
> Let's see
>
> If there was no FS there'd be No PB. If there was no PB I'd have no reason to post my drivel. If I
> didn't post my drivel nobody would get ******. If nobody got ****** everyone would be happy. If
> everybody would be happy there'd be no sadness.
>
> Holy ****! don't you see that must mean FS bikes lead to sadness! OH MY GAWD! If found the
> solution to all the sadness in the world. Get rid of all the FS bikes!!! Do it now before it's
> too late.
>
>
> Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

You take retro-grouch to a whole new level. So when are you putting a fixed gear hub on your bike? I
can just see the posts now: "Don't be dependent on a freewheel!".

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.