Best shoes and carbon seatpost

Irishman

Oct 25, 2004
What are some of the best shoes that you have used, primarily comfort without feeling power loss from flimsey sole?
Those of you who have carbon seatpost, how do you like them. Are they comfortable or just for weight saving?

I'm riding the Sidi Ergo 1's, and their the stuff. Super comfortable, and stiff enough. I find that Sidi's fit me the best. Shoes you have to try on to see yourself. The Carnac shoes are awsome, but too narrow for my feet. Look around, Carnac, Sidi, Vittoria, look for shoes with leather. Some companies, like shimano, use a lot of plastic, and you can really feel it. Carbon seatpoast... I used to use the USE Alien, but I broke it doing something stupid. Up untill that it was nice. I'm using the stock Blade carbon seatpoast that used to come with Giants. It does a really good job, but its heavy. I'm going to get the C Record carbon post in the next few weeks, that should be fun.

I have both carbon and non carbon shoes. Haven't noticed any real difference that I can attribute to carbon.

I use a Thomson carbon seat post on my mtb. No problems at all but I would recommend buying a damn good quality as a friend of a friend had a cheap one snap and he required a bit of surgery after, mind you aluminium ones snap also... wouldn't use carbon bars as if they snap your well screwed, at least bent aluminium can be controlled.

cheers
Malcom

Irishman said:
What are some of the best shoes that you have used, primarily comfort without feeling power loss from flimsey sole?
Those of you who have carbon seatpost, how do you like them. Are they comfortable or just for weight saving?
I have an Easton all carbon seatpost on my road bike and an Easton EC70 carbon tube, alloy clamp assembly on my mountain bike. I had some seat rail slippage problems on the roadbike (Easton replaced it under warranty). Ride quality seemed noticably better when I first changed from the stock Bontrager post, now I just don't notice it. The clearcoat scratches easily, but integrity is not effected.

I agree about the Sidi Genius shoes, they feel like they were made custom made for me, however I also think that you need to find the shoe that fits you best. What myself and others may think fits great may not work at all for you. I recently put an Easton EC70 carbon seat post on a very stiff AL road bike. It does help dampen the ride and would recomend one, especially if your riding a frame that's as stiff as a corpse. I was going to gt the EC90 but was wary of the carbon fiber clamp and teeth (I read several reviews of the teeth slipping).

malcomm said:
I have both carbon and non carbon shoes. Haven't noticed any real difference that I can attribute to carbon.

I use a Thomson carbon seat post on my mtb. No problems at all but I would recommend buying a damn good quality as a friend of a friend had a cheap one snap and he required a bit of surgery after, mind you aluminium ones snap also... wouldn't use carbon bars as if they snap your well screwed, at least bent aluminium can be controlled.

cheers
Malcom
Thomson makes carbon seatposts???
:cool: