Best SIMPLE CycleComputer?

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Very few have Temperature and I wouldn't expect a thermometer to give useful readings from a
> computer mounted in the usual position as the whole unit would be greatly chilled by the wind.

"wind chill" only matters for objects which can lose moisture, such as skin. A computer with
thermometer can't exhibit that effect.

I don't think you are going to find a temperature readout on a simple comp. They are usually only
found on altimeter/computers, like the CicloMaster Alti series (expensive and NOT basic, to say
the least!).

Why not just get a comp with the other basics and buy a small belt-clip thermometer?
http://www.rei.com I believe has a nice one that even has a wind chill chart on the back.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Bryan K. Walton wrote:

>>5) Temperature

>Very few have Temperature and I wouldn't expect a thermometer to give useful readings from a
>computer mounted in the usual position as the whole unit would be greatly chilled by the wind. ~PB

Maybe not. You must also realize that, on a bicycle, the computer is situated in sunlight, rather
than in the shade, as a thermometer should be. I have a thermo on my CM-414, and when the bike
sits for a while, it can build up some pretty unbelievable readings. When moving, however, it's
pretty accurate.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Sheldon "Topic Drift" Brown

Yeah, but now if I ever want to buy a cyclecomputer for my Space Shuttle, I'll know I shouldn't
spring for the expensive ones with the temperature sensors.

On 26 Feb 2004 14:32:56 CST, "Bryan K. Walton" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi, I am looking to purchase a cyclecomputer. I've never actually owned one and hope that people in
>this group can offer advice. Here is what I am looking for:
>
>1) Total Distance
>2) Trip Distance
>3) Current Speed
>4) Large numbers/letters on the readout
>5) Temperature
>6) Works at low temperatures
>7) Would be nice if the buttons were large.
>8) Durable
>9) Energy-efficient (doesn't drain batteries faster than average computer)
>
>I don't care about cadence, average speed, or wireless.
>
>Can anybody recommend a certain cyclecomputer for me? Also, any real good webpages out there that
>offer comparison reviews?
>
>Thanks! Bryan Walton

One I know that has temperature is the Planet Bike 9.0 something or other. I've never used it. Have
a Cateye Mity 8 which does all I need.

http://www.planetbike.com/computers.html

Some user reviews of various computers-

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/computer/

"Randy Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<nnv%b.26339$AL.471968@attbi_s03>...
> Can you recommend one with an altimeter?
>
> RW

I use a Cateye AT-100 road-biking the Rockies year-round. Thermometer and altimeter are both
fairly accurate.