Best So Cal rides

garrett wrote:
> What are the best Southern California rides? Plese describe them.
>
> Thanks, Garrett

Just thought of another one, go to turnerbikes.com, click on "gallery", download the race vid.
All of the non-race stuff is shot on suicide, north end of Lindero Cyn, just off the 101.
Fantastic DH trail.

-Bruce

garrett wrote:
> I am in West LA. Where are you?

Calabasas, West end of the SF Valley.

Brett Jaffee wrote:
> Bruce Edge <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>

>>garrett wrote:
>>
>>>I am in West LA. Where are you?
>>>

>>Calabasas, West end of the SF Valley.
>

> Small world...me too.

Holy ****! Where/when do you ride? We use a yahoo group for ride emails, agouramtb.

-Bruce

Thanks!

Garrett

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > "garrett" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >
> >> What are the best Southern California rides? Plese describe them.
> >>
> >> Thanks, Garrett
> >>

> > Here is an excellent site for trails in the nothern L.A./Ventura County area. It's got maps and
> > descriptions of almost all the trails.
> >

> D'oh, how about I include the link....
>
> http://www.nrmbc.org/TrailMaps/TrailsHome.html

Yes. very rude. I ask for best rides. The word "best" implies opinion. Therefore you giving me the
best ride would involve your personal favorite, one would hope. I am asking for the same thing using
different words.

Can we please start over. Or do people really have nothing better to do than speak off subject. (I
am aware of the irony here so please stop before you start)

> garrett wrote:
> > Ahh yes. Thanks, Steve. I definitely did not check there.
(<--SARCASM)

garrett wrote:
> Yes. very rude. I ask for best rides. The word "best" implies opinion. Therefore you giving me the
> best ride would involve your personal favorite, one would hope. I am asking for the same thing
> using different words.
>
> Can we please start over. Or do people really have nothing better to do than speak off subject. (I
> am aware of the irony here so please stop before you start)

have you read the amb faq yet? just wondering. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm
1.5.1

Can you direct me to a newsgroup where there may be discussions about mountain biking?

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> garrett wrote:
> > Yes. very rude. I ask for best rides. The word "best" implies opinion. Therefore you giving me
> > the best ride would involve your personal favorite, one would hope. I am asking for the same
> > thing using different words.
> >
> > Can we please start over. Or do people really have nothing better to do than speak off subject.
> > (I am aware of the irony here so please stop before you start)
> >

> have you read the amb faq yet? just wondering. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm
> 1.5.1
>
> 1¢

This other site is also good for the trails in that area. It has dozens of pictures from just about
every point of interest on the trails (from a riding perspective, not sight-seeing).

http://www.singletrackmind.com/index.htm

"garrett" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Thanks!
>
> Garrett
>

> "Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:

>> > Here is an excellent site for trails in the nothern L.A./Ventura County area. It's got maps and
>> > descriptions of almost all the trails.
>> >

>> D'oh, how about I include the link....
>>
>> http://www.nrmbc.org/TrailMaps/TrailsHome.html

garrett top-posted yet again:
> Can you direct me to a newsgroup where there may be discussions about mountain biking?

rec.bicycles.off-road

Bill "right up your alley" S.

garrett wrote:
> Yes. very rude. I ask for best rides. The word "best" implies opinion. Therefore you giving me the
> best ride would involve your personal favorite, one would hope. I am asking for the same thing
> using different words.

"Best" and "personal favorite" are two entirely different things. Best emplies a consensus, or at
least a frame of reference.

> Can we please start over. Or do people really have nothing better to do than speak off subject. (I
> am aware of the irony here so please stop before you start)

Do you have nothing better to do than top-post nonsense?

Greg

"Bruce Edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> garrett wrote:
> > What are the best Southern California rides? Plese describe them.
> >
> > Thanks, Garrett
> >

> Just thought of another one, go to turnerbikes.com, click on "gallery", download the race vid.
> All of the non-race stuff is shot on suicide, north end of Lindero Cyn, just off the 101.
> Fantastic DH trail.
>
> -Bruce

Brett and Bruce,

Thanks for the help! I just moved to LA from Western PA and i am excited to ride this unfamiliar
terrain. The reason I said So Cal and not LA is that I have a roof rack and don't mind, well,
actually enjoy leaving this endless city.

As you can see, I have had a rough start on this newsgroup thing. Semantics, top-posting,
rudeness, and all.

Garrett

garrett wrote:
> "Bruce Edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>garrett wrote:
>>
>>>What are the best Southern California rides? Plese describe them.
>>>
>>>Thanks, Garrett
>>>

>>Just thought of another one, go to turnerbikes.com, click on "gallery", download the race vid.
>>All of the non-race stuff is shot on suicide, north end of Lindero Cyn, just off the 101.
>>Fantastic DH trail.
>>
>>-Bruce
>

> Brett and Bruce,
>
> Thanks for the help! I just moved to LA from Western PA and i am excited to ride this unfamiliar
> terrain. The reason I said So Cal and not LA is that I have a roof rack and don't mind, well,
> actually enjoy leaving this endless city.

I see, you are looking for ride suggestions. Funny how you didn't mention that before.

I'll make some assumptions about what you like to ride and make a suggestion. Find the 405, get on
the freeway, head north, head north on the 5, head northeast on the 14, go past Palmdale and Mojave,
keep heading north on the 14, turn left at Jawbone Canyon, drive 1.8 miles, park, get on your bike,
and head up the trail on the hill to your right. Endless miles of sweet, buff singletrack.

Greg

"garrett" whinged in message

> Ahh yes. Thanks, Steve. I definitely did not check there. (<--SARCASM)
>
> Let's start again. What are your personal favorite So Cal rides?

I think they all suck.

Well maybe they're not that bad but an absolute pain in the **** to get to from here.

Rob

> garrett wrote:

> >>Just thought of another one, go to turnerbikes.com, click on "gallery", download the race vid.
> >>All of the non-race stuff is shot on suicide, north end of Lindero Cyn, just off the 101.
> >>Fantastic DH trail.
> >>
> >>-Bruce
> >

> > Brett and Bruce,
> >
> > Thanks for the help! I just moved to LA from Western PA and i am
excited to
> > ride this unfamiliar terrain. The reason I said So Cal and not LA is
that I
> > have a roof rack and don't mind, well, actually enjoy leaving this
endless
> > city.
> >

> I see, you are looking for ride suggestions. Funny how you didn't mention that before.
>
> I'll make some assumptions about what you like to ride and make a suggestion. Find the 405, get on
> the freeway, head north, head north on the 5, head northeast on the 14, go past Palmdale and
> Mojave, keep heading north on the 14, turn left at Jawbone Canyon, drive 1.8 miles, park, get
on
> your bike, and head up the trail on the hill to your right. Endless miles of sweet, buff
> singletrack.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
> hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

Thanks!

Garrett

"Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This other site is also good for the trails in that area. It has dozens
of
> pictures from just about every point of interest on the trails (from a riding perspective, not sight-
> seeing).
>
> http://www.singletrackmind.com/index.htm
>
> "garrett" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Garrett
> >

> > "Brett Jaffee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Brett Jaffee <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> news:[email protected]:

> >> D'oh, how about I include the link....
> >>
> >> http://www.nrmbc.org/TrailMaps/TrailsHome.html

Brett and Bruce,

Thanks for the help! I just moved to LA from Western PA and i am excited to ride this unfamiliar
terrain. The reason I said So Cal and not LA is that I have a roof rack and don't mind, well,
actually enjoy leaving this endless city.

As you can see, I have had a rough start on this newsgroup thing. Semantics, top-posting,
rudeness, and all.

Garrett

> "Best" and "personal favorite" are two entirely different things. Best emplies a consensus, or at
> least a frame of reference.

> Greg

Two questions:

1. Would you post a "best ride" if you did not like it? In other words, would you write the
following? "Trail X is is the best trail. But I really don't enjoy it."

2. Are you living in Southern California, or plan to ride there soon? If not, why are you wasting
your time here? To prove a point?

Garrett

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:03:40 -0800, garrett wrote:

> As you can see, I have had a rough start on this newsgroup thing. Semantics, top-posting,
> rudeness, and all.

Yeah, but people here may be willing to overlook your initial behaviour... provided you stop
being an ****.

As with so many things in life, you may find a little politesse, a little humility and a little less
attitude may significantly aid your cause.

You may want to have a look here: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm#1.5

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm