Best Sora Upgrade

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by steve617, Dec 23, 2004.

1. steve617

steve617 New Member

What would be the best upgrade? If you had a bike that has Sora rear derailer and front derailer. Which one would be the best upgrade with a 105? The front or the rear.

Thanks

Steve

Tags:

2. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

From your post I gather that you want to use a 105 9 speed derailleur as an 8 speed setup?

If both your front and rear sora derailleurs are working well and nothing is wrong with them I wouldn't upgrade either. Use them until they die. If you're bored and looking for something to upgrade for fun then I would swap out the derailleur that get used the most, which is usually the rear.

3. steve617

steve617 New Member

I actually have not bought the bike and thought I could get and upgrade in the perchase. They said I could get 5 percent of the perchase price in acessories. I kind of thought that a better rear derailer would make shifting a little smoother.

Steve

4. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Most shifting issues are due to adjustment. Many bikes come standard with a rear derailleur that is one step up from the front der and shifters. Whether you decide on Tiagra or 105 then it will still be an 8 speed just so you know.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Don't waste your money.You got the same advice somewhere else.

6. Gilders

Gilders New Member

You'd be selling yourself short in pursuing either of these options, for the reasons already stated by both Dr. Morbius and Boudreaux - there would be no gain at all other than cosmetic, meaning it's a completely fruitless exercise. If you're a new or an occasional recreational rider who cycles purely for the enjoyment, stick with the 8-spd set-up given by Sora; it will provide you with enough gear ratios to do the job you need it for. If you want more, however, consider purchasing a bike already gruppo'd up for 9 or 10 spd - a lot less hassle and costly to make this initial outlay than by upgrading piecemeal. Cheers.