Best sort of commuting Bike

chriswilcox wrote:
> hi I need a new bike and want to know what you recommend as the best sort?

Hi, Some more info would help us to help you.....

- What distance will you be commuting?

- Where will the bike be left? Outside/inside; secure place?

- What cycling experience do you have? What kind of bikes, distances and speeds, etc.

~PB

chriswilcox wrote:
> hi I need a new bike and want to know what you recommend as the best sort?

How far, terrain, surface, need to go on a train/bus?

Tony

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:59:22 GMT, chriswilcox
<[email protected]> wrote:

>hi I need a new bike and want to know what you recommend as the best sort?

you are not v. explicit as to what sort of commute you have but if you mean a good utility bike you
might want to look at the orbit orion. i have not ridden one it is a prime contender for the commute
component of my stable.

it is 700c wheeled and comes with guards, rack and hub dynamo lighting. it is available with various
gear options including 7 speed sram hub.

over the years i have got fed up with the inability of derailleurs to cope with day-in day-out
riding on wet, mudddy, gritty roads so i am keen to get the hub version. i'd be interested to hear
from anyone who's dabbled with hub gears.

if you want a bit more of a turn of speed but still need flat bar practicality and rack mounts then
look at ridgeback rapide range; the 'meteor' was my most recent commuter until written off.

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:59:22 GMT, chriswilcox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >hi I need a new bike and want to know what you recommend as the best sort?

Honda Fireblade.

--
Mark (MSA)
This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of

chriswilcox wrote:

> hi I need a new bike and want to know what you recommend as the best sort?

Something that can take mudguards, a rack and lights. Something that's efficient enough, but a bit
ugly so it's unattractive to thieves. Basically, an old Dawes Galaxy with the decals peeled off is
your ideal bike.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 01:59:22 GMT, chriswilcox <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> hi I need a new bike and want to know what you recommend as the best sort?
>
> A recumbent. Obviously ;-)

But if you go to the darkside you want to consider 3 wheels. ;-)
--
Mark

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:19:33 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Something that can take mudguards, a rack and lights. Something that's efficient enough, but a bit
>ugly so it's unattractive to thieves.

Indeed. As Mark (MSA) said: A Honda Fireblade! :)

Well, it does have mudguards and lights.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, James Hodson wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 18:19:33 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Something that can take mudguards, a rack and lights. Something that's efficient enough, but a
> >bit ugly so it's unattractive to thieves.
>
> Indeed. As Mark (MSA) said: A Honda Fireblade! :)
>
> Well, it does have mudguards and lights.

I use a Dutch roadster. Mine is made by Sparta, but Azor and others also make similar bikes.

Good things about this bike:

- hub gears and brakes are fairly low maintenance
- traditional upright position is good for negotiating traffic

Bad things about this bike:

- heavy and with few gears, so no good if there are hills
- moderately expensive

I'm very happy with it, but if I were cycling in hillier country, I'd be going for the Dawes
Galaxy option.

--
Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)