Best source of spokes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Can anyone suggest a good place to buy spokes on-line. Got the job for
    August of rebuilding the tandem wheels with the Shimano hubs I got at
    the York Rally. Need 176 spokes all together (2x40 front and 2x48 rear)

    Tony
     
    Tags:


  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a good place to buy spokes on-line. Got the job
    > for August of rebuilding the tandem wheels with the Shimano hubs I
    > got at the York Rally. Need 176 spokes all together (2x40 front and
    > 2x48 rear)


    http://www.roseversand.de is said to be a cheap source (I've not used them
    myself).

    UK:

    Parker International - ACI (Alpina) db spokes @ 20p

    Edinburgh Bicycle - DT db @ 25p

    SJSC for DT Alipine III @ 60p (ouch)

    ~PB
     
  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone suggest a good place to buy spokes on-line. Got the job
    >>for August of rebuilding the tandem wheels with the Shimano hubs I
    >>got at the York Rally. Need 176 spokes all together (2x40 front and
    >>2x48 rear)

    >
    >
    > http://www.roseversand.de is said to be a cheap source (I've not used them
    > myself).
    >
    > UK:
    >
    > Parker International - ACI (Alpina) db spokes @ 20p
    >
    > Edinburgh Bicycle - DT db @ 25p
    >
    > SJSC for DT Alipine III @ 60p (ouch)
    >


    Thanks - they do the DT Alpine for under 20p ea - I'd seen the SJSC
    prices. The cheapest other one I found was ACI at Bike Dock for 16p ea.

    Only problem is their shopping cart will not accept multiple orders for
    the same spokes (in different lengths) so have had to e-mail them for a
    solution

    Tony
     
  4. Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    > Only problem is their shopping cart will not accept multiple orders
    > for
    > the same spokes (in different lengths) so have had to e-mail them for
    > a solution


    I spoke with the guys at Parkers about spokes, they were really helpful.
     
  5. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks - they do the DT Alpine for under 20p ea - I'd seen
    > the SJSC prices. The cheapest other one I found was ACI
    > at Bike Dock for 16p ea.


    > Only problem is their shopping cart will not accept multiple
    > orders for the same spokes (in different lengths) so have had
    > to e-mail them for a solution


    The shopping cart has five blank fields for manual entries, and you can add
    extra fields five at a time. Just enter the product code for the spokes you
    want, and the length in the 'size' field.

    James Thomson
     
  6. "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The shopping cart has five blank fields for manual entries, and
    > you can add extra fields five at a time. Just enter the product
    > code for the spokes you want, and the length in the 'size' field.


    By the way, in case it's not obvious, Roseversand don't include nipples in
    the price of their spokes, so don't forget to add them to your order.

    James Thomson
     
  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Thomson wrote:

    > "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>The shopping cart has five blank fields for manual entries, and
    >>you can add extra fields five at a time. Just enter the product
    >>code for the spokes you want, and the length in the 'size' field.

    >
    >
    > By the way, in case it's not obvious, Roseversand don't include nipples in
    > the price of their spokes, so don't forget to add them to your order.
    >


    Thanks - I'd spotted that.

    Tony
     
  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Thomson wrote:
    >
    > The shopping cart has five blank fields for manual entries, and you can add
    > extra fields five at a time. Just enter the product code for the spokes you
    > want, and the length in the 'size' field.
    >


    Next challenge - the address field is totally inadequate for entering an
    address. By the time I'm halfway through the street-name its stopped
    taking any more letters in the field. Don't want to trust the courier
    company with a cryptic truncation of the address they have to find.

    Tony
     
  9. AndyMorris

    AndyMorris Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a good place to buy spokes on-line. Got the job
    > for August of rebuilding the tandem wheels with the Shimano hubs I
    > got at the York Rally. Need 176 spokes all together (2x40 front and
    > 2x48 rear)
    >
    > Tony


    http://www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk/

    Dosn't mention spokes on web site, but I rang him up to get some sapim laser
    and race spokes, they arrived next day.


    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK


    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
     
  10. On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:28:19 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

    > James Thomson wrote:
    >>
    >> The shopping cart has five blank fields for manual entries, and you can add
    >> extra fields five at a time. Just enter the product code for the spokes you
    >> want, and the length in the 'size' field.
    >>

    >
    > Next challenge - the address field is totally inadequate for entering an
    > address. By the time I'm halfway through the street-name its stopped
    > taking any more letters in the field. Don't want to trust the courier
    > company with a cryptic truncation of the address they have to find.
    >
    > Tony


    The address line is only for the street name. There are 30 spaces. I
    assume your house has a name, not a number. If it has a name and a number
    then omit the name. If only a name then truncate that (e.g. Cherry Blossom
    instead of Cherry Blossom House).

    A German address looks like

    Tony Raven
    Street Name, House Number
    Postcode, Town
    Country

    They have called 'Town' 'Place'.

    --
    Michael MacClancy
    Random putdown - "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his
    friends." -Oscar Wilde
    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
    www.macclancy.co.uk
     
  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:28:19 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >
    > The address line is only for the street name. There are 30 spaces. I
    > assume your house has a name, not a number. If it has a name and a number
    > then omit the name. If only a name then truncate that (e.g. Cherry Blossom
    > instead of Cherry Blossom House).
    >
    > A German address looks like
    >
    > Tony Raven
    > Street Name, House Number
    > Postcode, Town
    > Country
    >
    > They have called 'Town' 'Place'.
    >


    But how do you deal with

    House Name
    Street
    Village
    Postal Town/postcode
    County
    Country

    which is typical of many UK addresses? Six lines into three 30
    character lines doesn't go.

    Truncation is fine if you have an address that doesn't become ambiguous
    with truncation. The Post Office has enough trouble finding it if you
    give the full address _and_ post code!

    Tony
     
  12. On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:03:24 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

    > Michael MacClancy wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:28:19 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> The address line is only for the street name. There are 30 spaces. I
    >> assume your house has a name, not a number. If it has a name and a number
    >> then omit the name. If only a name then truncate that (e.g. Cherry Blossom
    >> instead of Cherry Blossom House).
    >>
    >> A German address looks like
    >>
    >> Tony Raven
    >> Street Name, House Number
    >> Postcode, Town
    >> Country
    >>
    >> They have called 'Town' 'Place'.
    >>

    >
    > But how do you deal with
    >
    > House Name
    > Street
    > Village
    > Postal Town/postcode
    > County
    > Country
    >
    > which is typical of many UK addresses? Six lines into three 30
    > character lines doesn't go.
    >
    > Truncation is fine if you have an address that doesn't become ambiguous
    > with truncation. The Post Office has enough trouble finding it if you
    > give the full address _and_ post code!
    >
    > Tony


    UK addressing is a bit of a hobby horse of mine, having lived in Germany
    where it's so much more concise. (I've also been working as a consultant
    in the postal sector.)

    I happen to have a copy of "Mail made easy", Royal Mail's guide to postal
    services, to hand. (April 2004 edition)

    Its instructions for addressing your mail are:

    "Please follow this layout. Avois using commas or full stops and do not
    centre or stagger your lines.

    Line 1: Addressee's name
    Line 2: Number and Street name
    Line 3: Locality name, if required
    Line 4: POST TOWN, Please print in capitals
    Line 5: POSTCODE, Please print in capitals, in full, and on a separate line

    You do not need to include a County name provided the POST TOWN and
    POSTCODE are used."

    Worryingly, Royal Mail doesn't know that some houses don't have numbers,
    only names!

    I don't see any need for the locality name and I always omit mine. In
    principle, every delivery point is uniquely identified by the house name or
    number and postcode so the other details are only needed to facilitate the
    sorting processes. Neither does Royal Mail strictly need the addressee's
    name because in the UK delivery has to be to the street address since we
    don't have family names on letterboxes.

    To fit Rose's template I would suggest you enter:

    Line 1: Tony Raven
    Line 2: House Name, Street
    Line 3: POST TOWN GB - POSTCODE
    Line 4: England (You are in England? Otherwise Grossbritannien)

    This format works for me when I buy from amazon.de

    Although there will always be people who have horror stories about Royal
    Mail, they really are a lot better than people think, particularly outside
    London. In fact, I think they actually take pride in being able to deliver
    badly addressed mail, unlike the Germans who, in my experience, delight in
    deliberately delaying incorrectly postcoded letters in order to teach you a
    lesson!

    For the last 6 six years since we moved back to the UK from Germany our
    German bank has steadfastly refused to get our UK address even remotely
    correct. This hasn't stopped Royal Mail delivering even one of our bank
    statements!

    --
    Michael MacClancy
    Random putdown - "They never open their mouths without subtracting from
    the sum of human knowledge." - Thomas Brackett Reed
    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk
    www.macclancy.co.uk
     
  13. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Michael MacClancy wrote:

    >
    > UK addressing is a bit of a hobby horse of mine, having lived in Germany
    > where it's so much more concise. (I've also been working as a consultant
    > in the postal sector.)


    Good job you don't have to deal with Japan. Houses are numbered in a
    locale, not street, according to their chronological order of being
    built. So you need to consult the local map to identify where the
    number you are looking for is located.

    >
    > Although there will always be people who have horror stories about Royal
    > Mail, they really are a lot better than people think, particularly outside
    > London. In fact, I think they actually take pride in being able to deliver
    > badly addressed mail, unlike the Germans who, in my experience, delight in
    > deliberately delaying incorrectly postcoded letters in order to teach you a
    > lesson!
    >



    All I can say is lucky you. We had for years a particular junk mailing
    that missed out the village name but had everything including the post
    code correct. It would take between one week to four months to get
    delivered and every one had been round several of the local villages
    (postman scribbled "Not <village name>" all over the envelope so we knew
    where it had been). If any one of them had bothered to consult the post
    code it could only have been our village.

    Tony
     
  14. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >
    > But how do you deal with
    >
    > House Name
    > Street
    > Village
    > Postal Town/postcode
    > County
    > Country
    >
    > which is typical of many UK addresses? Six lines into three 30
    > character lines doesn't go.


    All I ever use is

    Carlinscraig
    Auhencairn
    DG7 1QU, Scotland

    Postal town's redundant - it's in the postcode. So's the postman's walk,
    so the street is redundant. Frankly, your name and postcode (followed
    by UK for something coming from Germany) is enough if your postie is
    any good.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
    ;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
    ;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
    ;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002
     
  15. Tom Jackson

    Tom Jackson Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:35:27 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest a good place to buy spokes on-line. Got the job for
    >August of rebuilding the tandem wheels with the Shimano hubs I got at
    >the York Rally. Need 176 spokes all together (2x40 front and 2x48 rear)


    I recently got a great price on DT DB spokes from Velomax, although I
    can't see DT listed on their site at the moment though.

    http://www.velomax.co.uk/display.php?displaytype=SPOKES+&+NIPPLES

    I think it's still a god price for the ACI spokes though. I've used
    these with good results although they get bad press in some quarters,
    never sure why.

    tom.
     
  16. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > But how do you deal with
    >
    > House Name
    > Street
    > Village
    > Postal Town/postcode
    > County
    > Country
    >
    > which is typical of many UK addresses? Six lines into three 30
    > character lines doesn't go.
    >
    > Truncation is fine if you have an address that doesn't become
    > ambiguous
    > with truncation. The Post Office has enough trouble finding it if you
    > give the full address _and_ post code!


    The Royal Mail should be able to deliver using just the house number/name
    and post code. Courier firms also have access to databases to find your
    full address from this scant info. Still, the Royal Mail should also
    deliver letters instead of dumping them in a dustbin! That and worse does
    happen :-(

    County can be left out anyway.

    Happy abbreviating,

    ~PB, Just had a pump go missing in the post (that Topeak I said I'd post
    an update on). Maybe the postie nicked it for his bike.
     
  17. "Pete Biggs" <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes:
    > Happy abbreviating,
    >
    > ~PB, Just had a pump go missing in the post (that Topeak I said I'd post
    > an update on). Maybe the postie nicked it for his bike.


    Quite possibly. My editions of Cycle seem to have a tendency to go
    missing. I've received less than half of them over the last year.

    A
     
  18. > Quite possibly. My editions of Cycle seem to have a tendency to go
    > missing. I've received less than half of them over the last year.


    Only six instead of twelve then? ;-)
     
  19. Mark Thompson <[email protected]> writes:

    > > Quite possibly. My editions of Cycle seem to have a tendency to go
    > > missing. I've received less than half of them over the last year.

    >
    > Only six instead of twelve then? ;-)


    Only about 3 :(
    I've not kept count. It's a big number to keep track of for me, as has
    been mentioned in previous threads.

    A
     
  20. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Simon
    Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > which is typical of many UK addresses? Six lines into three 30
    > > character lines doesn't go.


    > All I ever use is


    > Carlinscraig Auhencairn DG7 1QU, Scotland


    Sandy Morton
    Millport
    Scotland

    works OK here - perhaps we benefit from not living in a town/city?

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net
     
Loading...
Loading...