Best source to buy chain?

Pat O'Malley

Guest
Also, if I buy multiple chains ( ie typical DF length) do I need to get extra connecting pins. ( I
think that's what they are called) Any brand recomendations for my Shimano HG cassette and LX rear
and 105 front mechs. Thanks in advance.

"Pat O'Malley" skrev...
> Also, if I buy multiple chains ( ie typical DF length) do I need to get extra connecting pins. ( I
> think that's what they are called) Any brand recomendations for my Shimano HG cassette and LX rear
> and 105 front mechs. Thanks in advance.

Just usual Sachs/SRAM chain? Last number denotes if its for 8- or 9-speed. As in PC-48 fx. I looked
at chainreviews and half said great chain, lasted for umpteen miles with nary a problem and the
other half said hate it, broke 17 times in 20 miles etc. This didn't change with higher priced
chains. :) Anyway the Sachs/SRAM comes complete with quicklinks, so you won't have to buy them
separately.

Mikael

Hostel Shoppe sells 11 foot lengths of chain for bents. Different brands are different prices. A
Sram PC-59, 9 speed sells for $60. These chains are not built by joining short chains. You can't buy
"pins" for Sram chains, and they say only use their Power-Link to join ends. Hostel Shoppe's on-line
catelog page is: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=606000.

Tom Balmer Goatbiker/V2

If you're looking for something in a "Ti" type of chain you might want to check out the following
link: http://www.vikinginternational.com/ EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Pat O'Malley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Also, if I buy multiple chains ( ie typical DF length) do I need to get extra connecting pins. ( I
> think that's what they are called) Any brand recomendations for my Shimano HG cassette and LX rear
> and 105 front mechs. Thanks in advance.

[email protected] (John) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> You can buy chain from Rotator, http://rotatorrecumbent.com/, for $
> 3/ft. plus shipping (note: the shipping is not cheap). John

Thanks , John. I called Rotator and the guy said they sell KMC brand (which is what I have on my
P38) for about $4/ft. Still a good price. But he is out of stock at the moment. I asked if he had
any other brands for sale and he said not really, and then asked me if perhaps I was looking for a
lighter weight chain? I really didn't think about it, but now I am because he said that the chain is
one of the heaviest components on a bent. He couldn't guess how much weight the KMC chain is, nor
could he compare the weight savings to other chains. So now I am wondering if it is worth it to buy
a light weight chain. Any opinions?

John wrote:

> You can buy chain from Rotator, http://rotatorrecumbent.com/, for $
> 3/ft. plus shipping (note: the shipping is not cheap). John

Especially the shipping charge to Denmark.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"EZ Biker :-\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<i44vb.197446$ao4.702761@attbi_s51>...
> If you're looking for something in a "Ti" type of chain you might want to check out the following
> link: http://www.vikinginternational.com/ EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

Ouch... the Viking chain is $275 *each*. That means roughly $825 for just the chain on a recumbent.

There are some Sachs chains that have hollow pins and drilled plates. They're about 28 grams lighter
per regular chain- one whole ounce!

Jeff

"Tom Sherman" skrev...

> John wrote:
> >
> > You can buy chain from Rotator, http://rotatorrecumbent.com/, for $
> > 3/ft. plus shipping (note: the shipping is not cheap). John
>
> Especially the shipping charge to Denmark.

Huh? I got all the chains I need, thank you.

M.

Jeff, Any idea about the durability of this type chain? thanks, bill g

--
"There are three truths: the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." John Allen Muhammad

Since Rotator has upped their price, I would go to jensonusa.com where you can buy a SRAM PC-59
(which is on a par with the KMC chain) for $
14. For my TiRush, I need two complete chains plus six links; you can use the third chain for
several chain changes. You put the chains together with Power Links, which SRAM says are the
strongest links in the chain. If you want a better grade chain, Jenson sells the PC-89R for $
23 and the PC-99 for $ 25. Jenson's shipping is more reasonable than is Rotator's. John

news:<[email protected]>...
> "bill g" skrev...
>
> > Any idea about the durability of this type chain?
>
> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Chain/product_78835.shtml
> http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Chain/product_20593.shtml
>
> As with all (SRAM/Sachs) chains its almost even. Many love them and many hate them. They cost
> almost 3 times more than a PC-48 or PC-59 though. To me at least thats not worth the minimal
> weight you save. Especially not when I need 3 of the damn things. :)
>
> M.
Thanks Mikael. Like almost everything on the internet you can get many opinions at both ends of the
spectrem. Reading the reviews made me even more confused what to do. I guess I won't worry about
weight savings, but save my money instead and go with a cheap chain. The SRAM quick links look
attractive as far as assemblying them together, but since I have a Shimano cassette and mechs I
guess I will keep things status quo and stick with KMC, or Shimano.I have never been disappointed
with any of Shimano's products, even some of their low end stuff like Sora. I tend to think that
breaking chains would be more of an issue with mountain bikers who are stomping on their pedals
mashing on an impossible gear while trying to ride up a tree trunk. All my bent riding is spinning
on a smooth road. Not that much stress on the chain, what? By the way, what got me started thinking
about replacing my chain was because I let my commuter DF chain go too long and it trashed the
cassette. So I don't want to repeat that mistake.

Pat O'Malley wrote:
> ... The SRAM quick links look attractive as far as assemblying them together, but since I have a
> Shimano cassette and mechs I guess I will keep things status quo and stick with KMC, or Shimano.I
> have never been disappointed with any of Shimano's products, even some of their low end stuff like
> Sora. I tend to think that breaking chains would be more of an issue with mountain bikers who are
> stomping on their pedals mashing on an impossible gear while trying to ride up a tree trunk. All
> my bent riding is spinning on a smooth road. Not that much stress on the chain, what?

Shimano 9-speed chains are almost impossible to put back together unless you have one of the special
pins or a quick link from another manufacturer.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

bill g <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jeff, Any idea about the durability of this type chain? thanks, bill g
>
> Jeff Wills wrote:
>
> > There are some Sachs chains that have hollow pins and drilled plates. They're about 28 grams
> > lighter per regular chain- one whole ounce!
> >
> > Jeff

I dunno... and that's my professional opinion. I'd assume that they're as durable as the
non-hollowed and undrilled chains, provided you maintained them to the same level.

Personally, I'd rather save three ounces by eliminating the extra patch kit I carry. Spending twice
the money for a three-ounce saving doesn't make sense to me. Then again, at 215 lbs., I ain't gonna
be a weight weenie anytime soon.

Jeff