Best Sprinter



Obviouly you mean current one ......... not throughout history .......

I'd say the HOTTEST one right now is of course Pettachi.
 
Today: Cipollini, and has been for 10 years. His world's victory was a masterpiece.
Tomorrow: Pettachi, maybe, although why's it taken so long?
All time: Maertens, Van Steenbergen, Darrigade, Van Looy; take your pick
 
I voted for Erik Zabel, he is a all terrain man. can win in long straights and can win in short climbs,(things that pettachi and cipollini cant do)
 
It has to be Mario Cipollini. He's a bit of a loose cannon but look at his pedigree in the Giro, and in all other races as well. He's also been able to steal a few races with his speed.

I was stood 25m from the finish line at Zolder when he won the Worlds Championship and it was so impressive.

I also like the way that his team is used, how they start the build up from k's to the finish and whip up the momentum.

I know Domina Vacanze has been relegated to Div 2, but I hope they are allowed to do the giro in May and we can see Cipo in action again.

Who's going to be the next character to grip the cycling world, they're very thin on the ground at the moment.
 
Last year was Petacchi's year. In a couple of interviews after the TdF last year he seemed to regret pulling out. I wonder whether he could hold it together to finish this year. It'd be such a tough call to do well in both the Giro & the Tour (& finish both!).

The cooke/mcewen thing is on again this year. The boys have been shoulder to shoulder during the TdU for the last week. TdF - can't wait!

But for 2003 - Petacchi. Double the number of race wins of the next most winningest rider. Stages of the three grand tours... Bring it on in 2004 for il Gentiluomo Velocista!
 
I would just note that doing well in the Giro d'italia is no garantee of one's performance in any capacity a the TdF
 
I know Baden Cooke isn't the best but I voted for him because I believe by the end of the year he will have proved himself to be.

ie 'He has the greatest potential, based on his performances in the last TDF.

He was unlucky in 2 sprints not to have been in the Green....

Correct me if I'm wrong!
 
Originally posted by JAPANic
I know Baden Cooke isn't the best but I voted for him because I believe by the end of the year he will have proved himself to be.
He's still young; yes I think he easily could be the 'surprise'. Being up there in his first tour was the eye opener!
 
I voted for Zabel. Cippo is my favorite but he's never taken the green jersey let alone finish the TDF. Also, thout I should mention Sean Kelly.
 
My pick is Freddie Maertens. To me a great road sprinter should be able to take it to the race, and then outsprint allcomers. Others in the same class are Sean Kelly and Jan Raas.
Cipo' is a great sprinter, but requires a very supportive team in order to get to that sprinting position. If a road team pulled a top track sprinter up to the end of a stage/race, they would achieve the same.
 
Originally posted by EoinC
My pick is Freddie Maertens. To me a great road sprinter should be able to take it to the race, and then outsprint allcomers. Others in the same class are Sean Kelly and Jan Raas.
Cipo' is a great sprinter, but requires a very supportive team in order to get to that sprinting position. If a road team pulled a top track sprinter up to the end of a stage/race, they would achieve the same.

People always say that, but there is no money in track sprinting. If the whole Australian track team is better than Petacchi and Cipo then why don't they go to road racing. I don't see Marty Nothenstein going to a D-I team, but he is a great track star. Riding 200+kms takes a lot out of you even if you don't get out of the wind until the last 100 meters
 
Originally posted by MontVentoux
Best Sprinter

Cipollini

Freddy Maertens

Van Poppel

Vanderarden

Abdujaparov

Urs Frueler

Bepe Saronni

to name a few.....
 
Originally posted by Roy Gardiner
Today:
All time: Maertens, Van Steenbergen, Darrigade, Van Looy; take your pick

I think Cipo deserves to be a choice amongst your alltime best.

Maertens and Van Looy are actually a completely different category in my book. These were really complete riders. Maertens actually dominated in the Vuelta like noone else. *12 friggin stages in one Vuelta... 12!!!*
 
Last 20 years: As a kid I remember VanPoppel & Abdochaparov as stand outs. How do they compare with todays sprinters?
Present: Cippo; Petacchi; McEwen; Boonen; Zabel (although Zabels best is definitely behind him)
 
Originally posted by Dazzle
Last 20 years: As a kid I remember VanPoppel & Abdochaparov as stand outs. How do they compare with todays sprinters?
Present: Cippo; Petacchi; McEwen; Boonen; Zabel (although Zabels best is definitely behind him)

Yep....Van Poppel and Abdu were brilliant. Killer instinct when they could sense the win.
Also, Malcolm Elliott had a white hot turn of speed.
 
Has to be Pettachi at the moment. If he can keep some of his Giro form into the TDF we are in for a sprinting treat this summer.
 
Petacchi of course, in spite of his train! His record of stage wins in grand tours from 2003 and all last year`s wins show all..
 

Similar threads

T
Replies
12
Views
674
J