Best Sprinter

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by MontVentoux, Jan 19, 2004.

1. MontVentoux

MontVentoux New Member

Best Sprinter

Tags:

2. Daremo

Daremo New Member

Obviouly you mean current one ......... not throughout history .......

I'd say the HOTTEST one right now is of course Pettachi.

3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

Today: Cipollini, and has been for 10 years. His world's victory was a masterpiece.
    Tomorrow: Pettachi, maybe, although why's it taken so long?
    All time: Maertens, Van Steenbergen, Darrigade, Van Looy; take your pick

4. ErikdeVlaeminck

ErikdeVlaeminck New Member

I voted for Erik Zabel, he is a all terrain man. can win in long straights and can win in short climbs,(things that pettachi and cipollini cant do)

5. hemplands

hemplands New Member

It has to be Mario Cipollini. He's a bit of a loose cannon but look at his pedigree in the Giro, and in all other races as well. He's also been able to steal a few races with his speed.

I was stood 25m from the finish line at Zolder when he won the Worlds Championship and it was so impressive.

I also like the way that his team is used, how they start the build up from k's to the finish and whip up the momentum.

I know Domina Vacanze has been relegated to Div 2, but I hope they are allowed to do the giro in May and we can see Cipo in action again.

Who's going to be the next character to grip the cycling world, they're very thin on the ground at the moment.

6. xc_gumby

xc_gumby New Member

Last year was Petacchi's year. In a couple of interviews after the TdF last year he seemed to regret pulling out. I wonder whether he could hold it together to finish this year. It'd be such a tough call to do well in both the Giro & the Tour (& finish both!).

The cooke/mcewen thing is on again this year. The boys have been shoulder to shoulder during the TdU for the last week. TdF - can't wait!

But for 2003 - Petacchi. Double the number of race wins of the next most winningest rider. Stages of the three grand tours... Bring it on in 2004 for il Gentiluomo Velocista!

7. Frihed89

Frihed89 New Member

I would just note that doing well in the Giro d'italia is no garantee of one's performance in any capacity a the TdF

8. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

I know Baden Cooke isn't the best but I voted for him because I believe by the end of the year he will have proved himself to be.

ie 'He has the greatest potential, based on his performances in the last TDF.

He was unlucky in 2 sprints not to have been in the Green....

Correct me if I'm wrong!

9. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner New Member

He's still young; yes I think he easily could be the 'surprise'. Being up there in his first tour was the eye opener!

10. clarkc

clarkc New Member

I voted for Zabel. Cippo is my favorite but he's never taken the green jersey let alone finish the TDF. Also, thout I should mention Sean Kelly.

11. OxO

OxO New Member

Tom Steels!

12. EoinC

EoinC New Member

My pick is Freddie Maertens. To me a great road sprinter should be able to take it to the race, and then outsprint allcomers. Others in the same class are Sean Kelly and Jan Raas.
    Cipo' is a great sprinter, but requires a very supportive team in order to get to that sprinting position. If a road team pulled a top track sprinter up to the end of a stage/race, they would achieve the same.

13. OxO

OxO New Member

Future: Tom Boonen

14. lazysegall

lazysegall New Member

People always say that, but there is no money in track sprinting. If the whole Australian track team is better than Petacchi and Cipo then why don't they go to road racing. I don't see Marty Nothenstein going to a D-I team, but he is a great track star. Riding 200+kms takes a lot out of you even if you don't get out of the wind until the last 100 meters

15. Smithy

Smithy New Member

Cipollini

Freddy Maertens

Van Poppel

Vanderarden

Abdujaparov

Urs Frueler

Bepe Saronni

to name a few.....

16. Tuschinski

Tuschinski New Member

I think Cipo deserves to be a choice amongst your alltime best.

Maertens and Van Looy are actually a completely different category in my book. These were really complete riders. Maertens actually dominated in the Vuelta like noone else. *12 friggin stages in one Vuelta... 12!!!*

17. Dazzle

Dazzle New Member

Last 20 years: As a kid I remember VanPoppel & Abdochaparov as stand outs. How do they compare with todays sprinters?
    Present: Cippo; Petacchi; McEwen; Boonen; Zabel (although Zabels best is definitely behind him)

18. ed073

ed073 New Member

Yep....Van Poppel and Abdu were brilliant. Killer instinct when they could sense the win.
    Also, Malcolm Elliott had a white hot turn of speed.

19. Jimmythecuckoo

Jimmythecuckoo New Member

Has to be Pettachi at the moment. If he can keep some of his Giro form into the TDF we are in for a sprinting treat this summer.

20. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Petacchi of course, in spite of his train! His record of stage wins in grand tours from 2003 and all last year`s wins show all..