Best State for college level cycling

treker88

Jul 30, 2005
I was wondering what your opinion of the best college level cycling state. Im going to be a senior and need to start thing about schools and this would probably be one of my determining factors so any ideas?

Reactions: KennethKed
treker88 said:
I was wondering what your opinion of the best college level cycling state. Im going to be a senior and need to start thing about schools and this would probably be one of my determining factors so any ideas?
Not sure of the best but i know my state (Pennsylvania) offers some good colleges as well as some great riding.......Penn State, Pitt, Carnegie Mellon, Duquesne University, Temple, etc.......most of the big schools have cycling "clubs" that you can join and compete in.......now if your looking to get super invloved most Ivy League schools offer college teams, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc......

Hope that helps a little

treker88 said:
penn state- PA
fort lewis- CO
Florida state
marian college- IN

I'm from Australia and was wondering if anyone knew if any of those places had scholarships for riding a bike?

im pretty sure they dont offer scholarships for biking...in fact, i know that the ivy schools do not b/c they dont ever offer athletic scholarships, no matter what the sport

also, i was wondering if there is any sort of ncaa championships for road biking....if so, who are the recent champs?

thanks

As for ncca championships, i'm currently at Iowa State. I just joined the collegiate team here, and i'm told that the mountain/cyclocross season is during the fall/winter, and the road season is during the spring.

I'm in iowa so we race in the North Central Conference, and there are 5 race weekends through the spring. I think that each weekend has a crit, and a road race.

there are different levels to collegiate racing...a,b,c...just like the uscf cat 1-5.

i'm not sure of the rules of nationals, but i think you either have to qualify individually for it, or each college gets to go so you'd have to qualify out of your college team.

hope that helps...you can follow kess's link to find the collegiate racing rulebooke (40 some pages), and read about the stuff...i read some of it before, but can't remember the details.

hope that helps some,
bryan

I have one more question on the matter. I went to the site that KeSs posted and i clicked on the midwest conference site and it is horibble compared to the other ones and also seems to be just about mountain biking. so done anyone know of any other midwest cycling college sites.

treker88 said:
I have one more question on the matter. I went to the site that KeSs posted and i clicked on the midwest conference site and it is horibble compared to the other ones and also seems to be just about mountain biking. so done anyone know of any other midwest cycling college sites.
the reason that the site is only talking about mountain biking right now is because this is the collegiate mountian biking season.

Road season for collegiate racing doesn't start up until the spring.

i understand that but im looking for a list of schools that participate in rode biking in the midwest but that sit has no good information. it doesnt even have someone i can contact. so i was wondering if someone knew of a site that had that information.

What you need to do is to come up with a list of schools that you want to go to for actual education reasons. Once you have a list of schools go to their school websites and check to see if they have cycling clubs/teams

University of Virginia all the way! We have the best riders and hilliest country to ride our road bikes on.

This reply is almost ten years old. Here is one university that has a racing club/team (that I instigated) that is now recognized as a varsity team with benefits, the University of Florida in Gainesville. I used to teach Cycling I,II until the Dean left and the new dean fired all us Adjunct Instructors. My cycling class student enrollment had grown every semester until it was over-filled. I relied on that part-time job to pay my rent. There was no one else at U.F. that could teach cycling like I could so that class is long gone. Some of my students formed the racing club in 1983. It is now a very well organized and successful college cycling team.

I was going to say Boulder and Colorado in general. But someone already beat me to it. Look into that! And do some online researching as well.