Best Steel Road Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom, May 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom

Tom Guest

I'm planning on buying a new light weight, triple, steel road bike, for the beauty of the ride.

I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all types of road conditions. Not a racer at my
    age; but, ride with the younger guys and want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    range is open.

Bianchi? Landshark? Your recommendations please.

Tom

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Tags:

2. Frank

Frank Guest

I don't know what the best is, but I've been riding a Bianchi XL Boron for a couple of years and
    like it a lot.

Frank

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm planning on buying a new light weight, triple, steel road bike, for
    the
    > beauty of the ride.
    >
    > I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all types of road conditions. Not a racer at my
    > age; but, ride with the younger guys and want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    > range is open.
    >
    > Bianchi? Landshark? Your recommendations please.
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

3. Harris

Harris Guest

"Tom" wrote:
    the
    > beauty of the ride.
    >
    > I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all types of road conditions. Not a racer at my
    > age; but, ride with the younger guys and want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    > range is open.

What are you riding now, and what do you like/dislike about it? I'm a fan of steel road frames
    myself, but ride quality is largely determined by the tires.

Art Harris

4. B

B Guest

>Your recommendations please.

one built for you by a custom builder B

(remove clothes to reply)

5. Kendall

Kendall Guest

Landsharks are excellent. Decent deals and excellent service on Landshark and other excellent steel
    frames from Gary Hobbs at www.GVHbikes.com . I also like my Pegoretti a lot.

Kendall

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    the
    > beauty of the ride.
    >
    > range is open.
    >
    >
    > Tom
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

6. Tom

Tom Guest

Art wrote: > What are you riding now, and what do you like/dislike about it? I'm a fan of
    > steel road frames myself, but ride quality is largely determined by the tires.
    >
    > Art Harris

I'm riding a double ring, 11/28, welded carbon fiber, bike w/Dura Ace components at the moment; but,
    am going to a triple ring due to age and mountains in the area. Don't want to part with my carbon
    fiber bike; will just keep it for the 'flat lands and rolling plains' but several have recommended a
    steel frame to me for my new triple.

Tom

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

7. Tom

Tom Guest

Beats me; I just read what's written on the Diamondback frame that was made in China years ago.
    Diamondback has since gone through a turnover of owners and this particular frame is no longer made.
    But, its about a 19lb bike with all Dura Ace components on a double ring 58cm frame. I have no
    complaints; just need some help on the mountains and looking for a good comfortable 'steel' ride.

Tom

8. Tom

Tom Guest

Thanks Kendall, I was leaning towards Gary.

Tom

"Kendall" <ckensto(nospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Landsharks are excellent. Decent deals and excellent service on Landshark and other excellent
    > steel frames from Gary Hobbs at www.GVHbikes.com . I also like my Pegoretti a lot.
    >
    > Kendall
    >
    > "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm planning on buying a new light weight, triple, steel road bike, for
    > the
    > > beauty of the ride.
    > >
    > > I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all types of road conditions. Not a racer at
    > > my age; but, ride with the younger guys and want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    > > range is open.
    > >
    > > Bianchi? Landshark? Your recommendations please.
    > >
    > > Tom
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
    > > Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
    >
    >

9. Steve

Steve Guest

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message

the
    > beauty of the ride.
    >
    > range is open.

Why not put a triple on what you currently have and like ?.

Oh, right, the old "I Must Have A New Bike, I Must Have A New Bike" mantra that keeps you awake
    at night...

Hmmm...

Waterfords are well though of,

So are Independent Fabrications, Ritchey's, Richard Sach's, Serrota's, Rivendells,

The UBI site has links to all - www.bikeschool.com

Also check out reviews at http://www.roadbikereview.com/defaultcrx.aspx

Good Hunting !

Steve B.

10. Tom

Tom Guest

Well its an 8spd, double ring 53/40, 13/26 which I changed to a 11/28. It really helped. But
    somewhere along the line I screwed up and am now recovering from a hernia surgery. As an old fart of
    73 I just pushed too hard on these 9% grade mountains around home.

When I explored the cost of putting a triple ring setup on it of similar quality to what I have now,
    it involved going to an XTR rear derailleur, and a whole bunch of other things, the LBS said it
    would run about $400 or so. I thought that was a lot to put into a pretty old bike.

So I thought maybe just keep it as a back up and for the easier rides as its a great bike for me;
    and, then order an even more comfortable triple ring steel bike to plow the mountains without
    getting more hernia's. At age 73 it will be my last one I'm sure and had hoped to keep it under
    $2000 with nice components and a decent weight.

Tom

11. Ari

Ari Guest

IIRC, the carbon tube is assembled/bonded between two steel end caps

"B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >I'm riding a double ring, 11/28, welded carbon fiber, bike w/Dura Ace
    >
    > How do you weld carbon fiber? B
    >
    > (remove clothes to reply)

12. Fred Roses

Fred Roses Guest

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

Bianchi amd Landshark are apples and oranges. John Slawta at Landshark is one of around 20 artisans
    around the US who will custom-build you a beautiful steel frame, while Bianchi is a giant factory
    that mass produces frames of steel and other materials at all quality levels. For what it's worth,
    most custom framebuilders are happy to work directly with you in the design and specification of
    your bike, but John Slawta strongly prefers to work through a handful of dealers, who are listed on
    his website. John also works with an on-line dealer, Gary Hobbes at GVH Bikes. John is more
    open-minded than many framebuilders - he'll take on unsusual projects and give customers whatever
    they want (within limits of course). His frames are beautifully brazed and bear amazing paint jobs.
    For their quality level I think they are pretty reasonably priced as well.

13. On Sat, 31 May 2003 12:45:18 -0500, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm planning on buying a new light weight, triple, steel road bike, for the beauty of the ride.
    >
    >I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all types of road conditions. Not a racer at my
    >age; but, ride with the younger guys and want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    >range is open.

Give a Lemond a shot while your at it.

Barry

14. In article <[email protected]>, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Beats me; I just read what's written on the Diamondback frame that was made in China years ago.
    > Diamondback has since gone through a turnover of owners and this particular frame is no longer
    > made. But, its about a 19lb bike with all Dura Ace components on a double ring 58cm frame. I
    > have no complaints; just need some help on the mountains and looking for a good comfortable
    > 'steel' ride.
    >
    > Tom

D'oh! It says "welded carbon", right? Do magnets stick to it? It's steel.

Now, a steel bike is a great choice; I ride a lugged steel Pinarello that I'm downright fond of, but
    why is steel being recommended to you? If you're serious about a "mountain" bike, a steel frame will
    probably cost you a half pound over a steel frame for no difference in price.

Not a lot, but...
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

15. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Guest

>Bianchi amd Landshark are apples and oranges. John Slawta at Landshark is one of around 20 artisans
    >around the US who will custom-build you a beautiful steel frame, while Bianchi is a giant factory
    >that mass produces frames of steel and other materials at all quality levels.

There are a whole lot more than 20 of us around the US. Hell, there are probably 20 of us just in
    the Bay Area alone. And there is plenty of ground between a Landshark and a Bianchi. Perhaps a
    Romulus from Rivendell? Phil Brown

16. "Tom" <[email protected]> writes:

>I'm planning on buying a new light weight, triple, steel road bike, for the beauty of the ride.
    >
    >I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all types of road conditions. Not a racer at my
    >age; but, ride with the younger guys and want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    >range is open.

>Bianchi? Landshark? Your recommendations please.

you need to set a price range. For every +/- 10% change in price, the quality of the bike can
    improve dramatically. And, you can pay up to $4000.00 for a steel bike (cinelli super coarsa with
    record 10 grouppo).

i have hard that the lemond zurich is a really popular steel bike for about $1800.00, as low as
    $1400.00 on sale. that would be my recommendation in the $1600 - $1900 price range.

- Don

17. Barryg

Barryg Guest

IMHO, the long top tube geometry that Greg L has always favored wouldn't be my first recommendation
    for a 73 year old rider . . .

another Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 31 May 2003 12:45:18 -0500, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm planning on buying a new light weight, triple, steel road bike, for
    the
    > >beauty of the ride.
    > >
    > >I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all types of road conditions. Not a racer at my
    > >age; but, ride with the younger guys and want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    > >range is open.
    >
    > Give a Lemond a shot while your at it.
    >
    > Barry

18. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

19. Just an idea, but have you thought of an "entry level" touring bike? Npt one built for full pannier
    touring, unless you want to get into that, but one of the lighter weight "performance tourers" made
    for those yuppie tours that cover 100+ miles a day, the company carry's everything?

Many of them have triple cranks, and are built for comfort as well as speed.

Just an idea..

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

20. Matt O'Toole

Matt O'Toole Guest

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

> On Sat, 31 May 2003 12:45:18 -0500, "Tom"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm planning on buying a new light weight, triple, steel
    road bike, for the
    > >beauty of the ride.
    > >
    > >I'm a senior citizen and ride 125 miles a week in all
    types of road
    > >conditions. Not a racer at my age; but, ride with the
    younger guys and
    > >want a good bike that rides and performs well. Price
    range is open.
    >
    > Give a Lemond a shot while your at it.

Not a bad idea. They're everywhere, so you have dealer support, and Trek's best-in-the-biz
    warranty service.

OTOH, they *are* everywhere, like Honda Accords.

For "ultimate" bikes -- I like that new Ritchey Break-Away frame. It comes as a complete Ultegra
    bike with a carrying case for $2500. That's a lot of extra airline baggage fees, but it's the
    principle of the thing...

Matt O.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.