Best Stock Bike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by king-compass, Jan 21, 2004.

1. king-compass

king-compass New Member

What is the best production road bike available, without taking cost into account. Opinions are all that count here ;)

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Gimmie a break.

3. Sprinter_989

Sprinter_989 New Member

Pinarello Dogma Ego or Prince SL

4. king-compass

king-compass New Member

Meaning !?? Am I not allowed to ask the forum for an opinion ?

5. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Hmmm... well, the only consideration that makes sense in this thread is style. We all know that each of these companies can churn out an equally great bike, especially if we're not taking cost into consideration. No, it's style points we're talking about here.

I vote DeRosa. By the way... why's Scott up there with Trek and Specialized, but not Klein? Who rides Scott?

6. Rudy

Rudy New Member

What about Kestrel? the father of carbon fiber bikes hehehe :D

7. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Ok,but what's it worth? Evryone has one, just like bung holes,except some smell worse. Besides, what's the point? If Cdale, or Trek gets the vote, are you going to buy it even tho the geometry of something else might suit you better?

8. dhk

dhk New Member

Klein was omitted from the list because they are too slow to deliver on custom orders....sorry, couldn't pass that up!

Is your bike getting close now? I know what it's like...

9. lokstah

lokstah New Member

:(

not yet.

:(

still have a table full of homeless parts.

10. dhk

dhk New Member

Well, at least it's winter. I rode here today at 32*F.....it was sunny, and the new bike keeps calling me!

Hope your new frame arrives soon....look forward to the first ride report and pictures.

11. Rudy

Rudy New Member

ya ya ya...here's my story...on Saturday the weather was nice but I had to work, one of those rare office weekend day.
    Sunday i was off and woke up early ready to ride, only thing was, it was pouring rain all day long. :( :mad:

12. king-compass

king-compass New Member

Does it need to be "worth" anything. If you look at the results and see that Cdale has received the most votes as the bike that riders most aspire to owning, then all this indicates is that the bike that most riders aspire to owning is the Cdale - Nothing else.

It's not saying that this is the bike that you must buy because everybody else says so irrespective of whether or not it's suitable for you. I can tell you right now that no matter what the result is here, it's in no way going to influence the purchase of my next bike, the biggest consideration is price.

My next bike will more than likely be a Raleigh, because it offers the best cost / component combination of anything within my proce range. I wouldn't dare suggest that the Raleigh is the "best bike" available, because I don't believe it to be the case - others may differ, but that's their opinion, and that's all that counts on this poll, even if one opinion is smellier than the next.:D

13. dhk

dhk New Member

As an owner of a couple of Raleigh's, one UK, one US, I'm glad you'er picking that brand. I like to see the Raleigh name and big bird logo stay alive, even if the bikes are now from Asia and not Nottingham.

Have to differ with your analysis of the poll though. I think the results only tend to show what most members already own, not really what they aspire to. The results tell me that a lot more people have Treks, Cannondales and Giants than DeRosa's.

14. kirkryder

kirkryder New Member

Try LeMond - ever evolving technology with history and hand made "stock" process. While owned by Trek - they still enjoy the freedom to be thier own brand and the ride is a good as it gets.

15. lokstah

lokstah New Member

...much like Klein and Fisher, two other American companies with passionate founders specializing in house-built frames and subtle innovations -- both bought by Trek, operating with some (hopefully much) autonomy.

16. mtranter

mtranter New Member

I think Trek. It's the best bike out there. No only is it good value for money, there's a bike for everyone.

17. lsnfa

lsnfa New Member

Mine! Mine! My bike is the best production bike!

18. xc_gumby

xc_gumby New Member

As some-one said, this is a style thing. So, here's my pick style wise:

opera, pinarello, guercotti, casasti, de rosa, look....

notice something about the style list? 'dales/trek/giant - no style. Just performance!

Klein, Le Mond for US style. Merlin too I guess. '04 Litespeed too!

my favourite - mine (of course). Rewel Titanium of Balzano

19. Blackberry

Blackberry New Member

20. Rippin

Rippin New Member

That's an odd one to answer as all of the manufacturers listed produce very capable bikes - so I guess my answer would be: ALL of those bikes are the best production road bike.

If you want better opinions, try narrowing down the criteria a bit.